Archived Topic

Wayne Kirby (DT) decommits

by Fido · 10/14/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
So it appears that DT Wayne Kirby (3*) of Pocatello, ID received an offer from Utah and has decommitted from BYU. He had verbally committed in July. Scout.com has a story where he explains why but I don't have access to it since I don't subscribe.
U
Ungoy
My money is on him not wanting to live the honor code. Probably some negative recruiting from Utah as far as BYU living his life for him.
S
scott715
Bingo
B
blue42
When he makes this kind of statement after committing to BYU, you think there wasn't any negative recruiting by Whit? I can't imagine a 17 year old came up with this completely on his own.



“My beliefs are that if I do something in my personal life that’s my business, and my team isn’t going to punish me for it unless it’s against team rules,” he said. “Just being able to grow up on my own and make my own decisions and pay for my own mistakes is a big reason (for decommitting).”



Now I know there is negative recruiting that goes on all the time with every football program, but this is definitely a low blow by Kwit bashing BYU and Church standards. When he said "my team isn't going to punish me for it unless it's against team rules" well guess what the honor code is team rules, there isn't a set of rules for the school and a different set of rules for the football team. Obviously it is that way at the SNOT, bad form Kwit.
K
KingCoug
blue42 wrote:
When he makes this kind of statement after committing to BYU, you think there wasn't any negative recruiting by Whit? I can't imagine a 17 year old came up with this completely on his own.



“My beliefs are that if I do something in my personal life that’s my business, and my team isn’t going to punish me for it unless it’s against team rules,” he said. “Just being able to grow up on my own and make my own decisions and pay for my own mistakes is a big reason (for decommitting).”



Now I know there is negative recruiting that goes on all the time with every football program, but this is definitely a low blow by Kwit bashing BYU and Church standards. When he said "my team isn't going to punish me for it unless it's against team rules" well guess what the honor code is team rules, there isn't a set of rules for the school and a different set of rules for the football team. Obviously it is that way at the SNOT, bad form Kwit.


It's a big reason why KWhitt turned down the BYU job. Not only did he not want to recruit and coach under the Honor Code restrictions, he doesn't believe in them to begin with. It's why Britain Covey is delusional when he says he can get the same "LDS experience" at Utah that he could at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
lawngnome
No doubt that line of reasoning would be popular with a 17 year old... No sex or parties for the whole time you're in college? I am usually surprised when we get a big commit out of state because I just don't see how they sell that to the athletes.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Also in my opinion the Honor Code is actually above and beyond the Church standards.
B
BoiseBYU
Wayne, Wayne, the honor code does not prohibit you from continuing to sell your vacuums door to door.
A
ABYUFAN
BoiseBYU wrote:
Wayne, Wayne, the honor code does not prohibit you from continuing to sell your vacuums door to door.

Kirby sucks! Kirby Sucks!



PS I hope that his cousins John Cutco and Sam Terminix don't change their commitments now too.
B
blue42
lawngnome wrote:
No doubt that line of reasoning would be popular with a 17 year old... No sex or parties for the whole time you're in college? I am usually surprised when we get a big commit out of state because I just don't see how they sell that to the athletes.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Also in my opinion the Honor Code is actually above and beyond the Church standards.


I think the out of state, non LDS commit is because more of the parents loving what BYU stands for but also instilling that same ethics in their kids as well.



You are correct there are some things in the honor code that are higher than Church standards, but look who makes up the board of directors for BYU.
B
blue42
ABYUFAN wrote:
Wayne, Wayne, the honor code does not prohibit you from continuing to sell your vacuums door to door.

Kirby sucks! Kirby Sucks!



PS I hope that his cousins John Cutco and Sam Terminix don't change their commitments now too.


I have heard we are still solid on Kirkland Brand and Free Sample, they are a package deal.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
KingCoug wrote:
When he makes this kind of statement after committing to BYU, you think there wasn't any negative recruiting by Whit? I can't imagine a 17 year old came up with this completely on his own.



“My beliefs are that if I do something in my personal life that’s my business, and my team isn’t going to punish me for it unless it’s against team rules,” he said. “Just being able to grow up on my own and make my own decisions and pay for my own mistakes is a big reason (for decommitting).”



Now I know there is negative recruiting that goes on all the time with every football program, but this is definitely a low blow by Kwit bashing BYU and Church standards. When he said "my team isn't going to punish me for it unless it's against team rules" well guess what the honor code is team rules, there isn't a set of rules for the school and a different set of rules for the football team. Obviously it is that way at the SNOT, bad form Kwit.


It's a big reason why KWhitt turned down the BYU job. Not only did he not want to recruit and coach under the Honor Code restrictions, he doesn't believe in them to begin with. It's why Britain Covey is delusional when he says he can get the same "LDS experience" at Utah that he could at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There are some things about BYU that you simply cannot replicate elsewhere. It is why I hope all my kids will go there. The U has some fine programs, and institute may be good there, but it pales in comparison to what BYU offers students. Yes, you can have an LDS experience other places, but it won't be the same experience. Some people do feel inspired to go other places, so, please don't interpret my comments to mean I think that BYU is the only acceptable choice for college. I do not, but, man do I hope my kids choose to go there.
F
Fido
654431257909030913
B
blue42
Fido wrote:
654431257909030913


Coach Holliday is such a stud!!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
I would think any active LDS parent would prefer their kids goes to a private university owned by the Church rather than what Utah now is - just another state run school where beer is king, religion is mocked, gay clubs are the norm, etc. I mean, there's a reason the extremely liberal/secular PAC 12 found Utah to be a good fit. You're not going to get remotely the same experience at Utah as BYU and anyone who says otherwise is delusional. ALUFs may tell themselves otherwise but they're in denial.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
KingCoug wrote:
I would think any active LDS parent would prefer their kids goes to a private university owned by the Church rather than what Utah now is - just another state run school where beer is king, religion is mocked, gay clubs are the norm, etc. I mean, there's a reason the extremely liberal/secular PAC 12 found Utah to be a good fit. You're not going to get remotely the same experience at Utah as BYU and anyone who says otherwise is delusional. ALUFs may tell themselves otherwise but they're in denial.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

You'd be surprised.



BYU was a dirty word in my house until my sister went there and showed it was a legit university. I know plenty of active LDS parents that think BYU is extremely restrictive and does more harm than good in teaching young men and women to live the gospel in the "real world." I know plenty of temple worthy parents that don't want their daughters going to BYU where they will be pressured to marry young and told pursuing professional aspirations and talents are secondary to having babies.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
BYU was a dirty word in my house growing up too. I ended up now as the one who defends it. The reasons Gunk mentions above are real.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Yzzazz
Gunk wrote:
I know plenty of active LDS parents that think BYU is extremely restrictive and does more harm than good in teaching young men and women to live the gospel in the "real world." I know plenty of temple worthy parents that don't want their daughters going to BYU where they will be pressured to marry young and told pursuing professional aspirations and talents are secondary to having babies.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ha! I just have to weigh in here. I moved from Utah to the east coast recently and what surprised me was how different the opinions of parents out here were regarding BYU. Lots of BYU transplants of course, but even among them I found these attitudes a surprise:



BYU Provo - for aspiring professional types. Too busy for marriage and family. Not a good gospel experience.

BYU Idaho - where you send your daughter if your highest hope is that she marries a good RM with a testimony, or where you send your son if you don't want him to wash out being placed next to those Ivy-capable students he'll be competing with. Nice, safe, FHE-friendly school.

BYU Hawaii - Howli's need not apply (that's actually not too much different from Utah thinking).



University of Utah - a school that never gets considered outside of its alumni, since much better state schools locally, same goes for Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, USC, UC Berkeley, etc., crickets.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.