Archived Topic

CBS Sports 2015-16 ranking

by scott715 · 10/14/2015

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I know preseason ranking are utterly meaningless...but I still like them! And I like that they went through all 351 teams and has something to say about each one! Here is what our schedule looks like (you'll need to click the picture to open it up bigger):


BYU Basketball 2015-16 SOS.PNG

That's an average rank of 144 (I realize that we won't play both Auburn and New Mexico, one of those will be replaced by another team depending on the mini tournament outcomes).
G
Gunk
I think that's a fair ranking of our team. I am looking forward watching the team this year. Some new faces.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BlueK
Gunk wrote:
I think that's a fair ranking of our team. I am looking forward watching the team this year. Some new faces.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think this team will be better than that, and actually considerably better if the defense improves significantly, but I wouldn't really expect an outside source to be clued in enough to really understand why.
S
snoscythe
BlueK wrote:
I think that's a fair ranking of our team. I am looking forward watching the team this year. Some new faces.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think this team will be better than that, and actually considerably better if the defense improves significantly, but I wouldn't really expect an outside source to be clued in enough to really understand why.


This is my favorite fan-criticism of rankings--those guys don't know as much about [insert team's name here] as we fans do. That criticism might bear freight if the authors were looking at [insert team's name here] in isolation. Problem is, the guys doing the rankings aren't just looking at [insert team's name here], they are supposedly looking at every team across the country. So yeah, the rankers might not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans of [insert team's name here] do, but do the fans know as much about every other team in the country as the rankers? My guess is no, simply because the rankers have jobs that immerse them in the sports world, and generally in the sport they are ranking. So, while they may not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans do, I generally concede that they know much more about the other 100+ programs that I do, and I am generally okay with rankings on that basis. I can complain about [insert team's name here]'s ranking, but it's hard to make a solid case since I haven't looked at all the other teams as closely as I presume they have.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
snoscythe wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I think that's a fair ranking of our team. I am looking forward watching the team this year. Some new faces.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think this team will be better than that, and actually considerably better if the defense improves significantly, but I wouldn't really expect an outside source to be clued in enough to really understand why.


This is my favorite fan-criticism of rankings--those guys don't know as much about [insert team's name here] as we fans do. That criticism might bear freight if the authors were looking at [insert team's name here] in isolation. Problem is, the guys doing the rankings aren't just looking at [insert team's name here], they are supposedly looking at every team across the country. So yeah, the rankers might not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans of [insert team's name here] do, but do the fans know as much about every other team in the country as the rankers? My guess is no, simply because the rankers have jobs that immerse them in the sports world, and generally in the sport they are ranking. So, while they may not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans do, I generally concede that they know much more about the other 100+ programs that I do, and I am generally okay with rankings on that basis. I can complain about [insert team's name here]'s ranking, but it's hard to make a solid case since I haven't looked at all the other teams as closely as I presume they have.


Another one I love: [insert team's name here] was ranked #[insert ranking here] last season and they'll be better this season so they must have a higher ranking than last season! Again, this is looking at one team in a vacuum! Or if we get X number of wins we'll be ranked (this was an actual debate on BYU SN, although I think about FB). Even if X number of wins got you ranked (or into the tournament) last season, that doesn't mean that X is the magic number this season.
B
BlueK
snoscythe wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I think that's a fair ranking of our team. I am looking forward watching the team this year. Some new faces.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think this team will be better than that, and actually considerably better if the defense improves significantly, but I wouldn't really expect an outside source to be clued in enough to really understand why.


This is my favorite fan-criticism of rankings--those guys don't know as much about [insert team's name here] as we fans do. That criticism might bear freight if the authors were looking at [insert team's name here] in isolation. Problem is, the guys doing the rankings aren't just looking at [insert team's name here], they are supposedly looking at every team across the country. So yeah, the rankers might not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans of [insert team's name here] do, but do the fans know as much about every other team in the country as the rankers? My guess is no, simply because the rankers have jobs that immerse them in the sports world, and generally in the sport they are ranking. So, while they may not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans do, I generally concede that they know much more about the other 100+ programs that I do, and I am generally okay with rankings on that basis. I can complain about [insert team's name here]'s ranking, but it's hard to make a solid case since I haven't looked at all the other teams as closely as I presume they have.


I understand what you're saying and you're right in general. I just think this BYU team is even harder than normal for even BYU fans to figure out because it's changing out something like 9 players, which is almost unheard of in college basketball. I'm not saying #37 is not fair, or anything like that. I just personally think BYU will actually be better than that. But I'm basing that on believing that several key players that haven't seen any action yet are going to make a big difference (Emery, Davis, Aytes, Chatman...) I really think aA lot of folks are going to be surprised at how good we are. Every year there are teams around the country that surprise, and the pre-season stuff isn't always all that accurate. I just think for this particular season that BYU is going to be harder for people making pre-season predictions to figure out than almost all other teams.
N
nuk13
I am optimistic. When the young kids get up to college basketball speed and mesh with the older players this is going to be a very good team. They will have an inside outside game with a good bench for both. The ranking will come.
S
snoscythe
BlueK wrote:
BlueK wrote:
I think that's a fair ranking of our team. I am looking forward watching the team this year. Some new faces.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think this team will be better than that, and actually considerably better if the defense improves significantly, but I wouldn't really expect an outside source to be clued in enough to really understand why.


This is my favorite fan-criticism of rankings--those guys don't know as much about [insert team's name here] as we fans do. That criticism might bear freight if the authors were looking at [insert team's name here] in isolation. Problem is, the guys doing the rankings aren't just looking at [insert team's name here], they are supposedly looking at every team across the country. So yeah, the rankers might not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans of [insert team's name here] do, but do the fans know as much about every other team in the country as the rankers? My guess is no, simply because the rankers have jobs that immerse them in the sports world, and generally in the sport they are ranking. So, while they may not know as much about [insert team's name here] as the fans do, I generally concede that they know much more about the other 100+ programs that I do, and I am generally okay with rankings on that basis. I can complain about [insert team's name here]'s ranking, but it's hard to make a solid case since I haven't looked at all the other teams as closely as I presume they have.


I understand what you're saying and you're right in general. I just think this BYU team is even harder than normal for even BYU fans to figure out because it's changing out something like 9 players, which is almost unheard of in college basketball. I'm not saying #37 is not fair, or anything like that. I just personally think BYU will actually be better than that. But I'm basing that on believing that several key players that haven't seen any action yet are going to make a big difference (Emery, Davis, Aytes, Chatman...) I really think aA lot of folks are going to be surprised at how good we are. Every year there are teams around the country that surprise, and the pre-season stuff isn't always all that accurate. I just think for this particular season that BYU is going to be harder for people making pre-season predictions to figure out than almost all other teams.


I'm 100% on board.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.