Actually, BYU has won more than 24 games 7 of the 10 years Rose has been here, so a consistent 24 can't really be the ceiling, as far as I interpret that word. Looking at the number of wins per year over his 10 years, the median is actually 26. Not improving after his second year? I don't get it from looking at the numbers. if you look at the influx of talent over the next couple of years, Rose hasn't even come close to his ceiling, IMO,
Yes, we did take a dip since the Jimmer era guys graduated. And we moved into the WCC at that same time. And I know it's hard for fans to remember past a couple of years. But I think this is explained by the fact that at BYU the impact of recruiting classes doesn't really hit until 3-4 years later and while he got more out of Cleveland's talent in the first few years, his own recruiting took a couple of years to really take off. I do think he had to grow into the recruiting part of his job. But I think he has, and with a vengeance. With what he has coming off of missions starting this year and the additional talent after that, you haven't seen anything yet. Logically, the only way you can really say BYU won't get any better than they have been, you have to predict that the 4-star guys BYU has started to bring in regularly now aren't really any better than the 3 and 2 star guys they've been playing with up to this point. I know recruiting services sometimes miss on a player here and there, but in large part I think they're usually fairly accurate, barring stuff like injuries.
And yeah, Utah is in a better league, but you have to also take into account the fact that for the last 4 years their non-conference schedule has been beyond horrible while BYU's have been pretty tough. By any objective SOS measure, at best, Utah's overall SOS for the season hasn't been any better than ours, even with being in the P12. This year Utah upgraded their non-conference schedule by quite a bit, so yeah, this year theirs is going to be tougher. We'll see how that goes. I think they've become the trendy pick for a lot of media folks because they suddenly got good. But looking beyond the surface and at their personnel for this season, I think they'll still be good this year, but not as good as last year. I think the loss of Delon Wright is huge. He made everyone on the team better. Who they have to replace him will be adequate, but not NBA level talent. They're not going to make a deep tournament run this year, IMO, but they'll be a good win for us. We'll be a much tougher matchup for them this season than we have been because we're going to be a lot more balanced.
Also, take a look below at what both teams have in the immediate recruiting pipeline. And then keep in mind that Utah doesn't have the influx of RMs coming home like we will have on top of that. I"m way bullish on BYU basketball for the near future -- way more than for football.
BYU 2016 recruiting class -- three 4* commits:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=252&class=2016&position=&state=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Utah -- nothing yet
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=254&class=2016&position=&state=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BYU wins per year under Rose:
2006: 20
2007: 25
2008: 27
2009: 25
2010: 30
2011: 32
2012: 26
2013: 24
2014: 23
2015: 25