Y
YzzazzI had a crazy bad-luck morning. Today I drove to the park and ride lot to catch my normal train. (Now stay with me, this story has a point that will rock your college football world, but I'm setting up an entertaining read here. Just FYI.)
At the first intersection on my route, I noticed traffic was bad going left, so I decided to turn right to follow my alternative route which is normally only a few seconds longer. As it turned out, by making that decision, I actually ran into further incidental delays, a garbage truck, a distracted driver, hitting two stop lights one second two late. Sitting at the second red light, knowing I had one more more to go just two blocks away, and knowing that the third light on my route was often out of sync, I began to worry about what could go wrong between me and the next light. My vehicle was first in line and I didn't have to change lanes, so I assumed everything should be fine for getting through the next light before it turned red.
Then Murphy pulled up next to me.
A car to my right pulled up to the traffic stop and as the light turned green this car proceeded to accelerate and dangerously wedge in between me and the traffic stopped at the next light. After having one of those moments you later regret and confess in priesthood lesson sharing times, I noticed that this car was not going to make the red light. Primarily because they weren't paying attention. Had I been in that spot, knowing the short timing of the light, I would have hurried and made it through a "rellow" light. But with Murphy in front of me, I couldn't make the last light. I checked my watch and realized that what was going to be a tight schedule to make my train was now going to be even tighter. A couple minutes more down the road, and a scurry from the parking lot to the train, I double-timed it up the stairs only to watch the train pulling away from the platform.
I missed the express.
That meant I'd have to get the local train which takes 10 minutes longer and comes 10 minutes later. So but for about 20 seconds, I lost 20 minutes. Now I recognized that in that string of random events, I could have turned left rather than right and maybe that would have changed things. But in reality, everything else would have worked out fine except for the deliberate actions of a self-minded driver.
Randomness, in this case, couldn't keep me from by train all by itself. It had to have a little help.
Two weeks ago I posted that the popular narrative about Tanner Mangum was that he got lucky. I argued this narrative was wrong and that it didn't make sense because the actual events, if luck, could also just as easily be construed as bad luck. As a test, it was logical to assume that if Tanner just got lucky twice, then BYU should be blown out by UCLA. If they weren't lucky, if two great defensive stands could be parlayed into a third great defensive stand, then BYU should show its true colors. It wouldn't be a lucky team, it would be a very GOOD team!
The UCLA game, despite the loss, still seemed to back up that point of view. BYU was actually great in that game, and with one more quarter of defense, the headlines would have read that BYU manhandled UCLA, took charge early and never looked back. As it was, BYU still had a chance to win the game, in the end, got unlucky. But it proved they were at least a good team, if not a great team.
Then comes Michigan.
106 yards of offense, so-called, a shut out, some terrible looking defense and lots of people willing to say "i told you cougars so," with no shortage of fans picking their dead-horse coaching staff member to beat. But something stands out to me here. One simple stat: that this was the LOWEST offensive production since 1974.
Are we kidding here? We have to go back to practically the pre-LaVell era to find a stat THAT low? Something smells rotten here, and at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy cook, I'm going to be the one to say it.
I think someone might have pulled a fast one, maybe even outright cheated.
Consider that after the last three weeks it would be illogical to predict this outcome. Not to pick on Schmoe who wrote a great OP to start his thread, but I want to use his points to make mine. Nothing personal, I happen to agree with him, YES that's what it LOOKS like should be the "Why we lost" of this one. But even his points don't hold up. Here's what I mean:
>1. Fatigue: Hard on players and coaches to go through two emotional wins, a >heartbreaking loss, and play in four time zones in four weeks.
Granted, but LESS well-conditioned players at BYU have gone through MORE gruelling stretches and not performed so poorly. Why this time now?
>2. Hype: after the game last week, you start to believe your own press clippings, etc. >Playing in front of one of the largest crowds in football on TV's biggest stage can also be >overwhelming.
Did ANYONE on the BYU team REALLY have swagger after UCLA? Did ANY of the players let up in practice because they believed their press clippings? Even if they did. 100 yards and 31-0? Compare this team to the 2010 Squad with Jake Heaps and Riley Nelson. Talk about believing your press clippings. Even THAT junk put up 10 points in Doak Walker Stadium against Florida State! And Florida State that year was at least comparable to where Michigan is right now.
Does anyone seriously believe Mangum is WORSE than Jake Heaps as a starter?
>3. Fundamentals/Execution: Absolutely need to be bringing players down on first ?>contact and filling correct rushing lanes. O-line needs to pick up blitzes and shouldn't >be giving up sacks because of a simple D-line twist.
The change from the first two games to the last two games is nothing less than stunning on this point. Perhaps good video review is all it took to scout it out, but just 100 yards of offense? really?
> 4. Effort: Just didn't seem like we really wanted it today.
Actually I'll call BS on that. If that were true Michigan would have scored in the second half at least once. The BYU defense, despite its flaws did NOT quit the game. Few seem to notice that the defense stayed and played.
> 5. Officials: they didn't help us today, but at this point, it's just adding to the pile.
Largely inconsequential considering the outcome.
While all of the points might be true, not a single one of them explains the total implosion of the offense. Not even all of them together is sufficient to explain why Tanner Mangum, Adam Hine, and the best receiver corp we have seen in a long time (compare these guys to the clowns that dropped 13 of Feterik's passes in a single game and you are reminded that we have seriously good hands on the receiver squad this year), came up goose egg in EVERY meaningful way. And this not at the hands of a ranked opponent, but rather a rebuilding Michigan squad that could not outperform UCLA's performance against UNLV. Sure Michigan is good, and maybe under Harbaugh they are on their way to great. But BYU has done better against TOUGHER competition in the past. Why now?
When you consider how important it is to the P5 conferences for BYU NOT to be in the national hunt, and how close they came to getting there in the UCLA game, and how a few people STILL thought that BYU could remain relevant even with the UCLA loss, pose yourself this question: "Which is harder to believe? (A) That Tanner Mangum, who was capable of walking off the bench and picking up the offense from an injured Taysom Hill, leads BYU to two incredible wins and gives #10 ranked UCLA a serious scare in its own house has an outing so poor it makes the BYU history books, or (B) that in this information rich age, with millions of dollars at stake should BYU steal away bowl spot, someone finds a way to read Tanner's calls or worse, procures a copy of the BYU playbook and analyzes it, boiling down its setups to reveal key weaknesses to the UM defensive coordinator, leaving a hapless BYU squad dazed and confused because NOTHING they seem to try turns out to work. They can't even figure out how to adjust to it in the second half.
While it may sound hard to believe item (B), go back and consider what you are asking yourself to believe about (A). BYU was on the giving end of such a beat down once before. We all remember it clearly. 59-0 against UCLA in one of the most glorious routs the school has ever seen. You might ask if I'm so quick to accuse nameless, unscrupulous P5 boosters in general, then why wouldn't BYU be likely guilty of something similar?
Because there are logical explanations for the UCLA offensive implosion that don't hold up here. UCLA had a new coach who was clearly unprepared playing in a tough venue. UCLA had a new QB who was not on the same page with said coach. BYU got lucky breaks on a rapid series of plays that boosted them 20 points within 5 minutes early in the game. BYU still scored in the second half. UCLA defense DID seem to throw in the towel. Yes BYU got some luck going their way and the momentum carried along.
This game was different.
Bronco is not Neuheisel, and Harbaugh is still human.
I can remember many years ago watching as a kid stole the answer book in fifth grade. Our teacher, upon noticing the book was missing, wisely let the thing play out. When this student, an otherwise C or B average performer, suddenly got EVERY question right, it wasn't hard to know where to look for the missing answer book.
Michigan knew how to play BYU. Maybe they didn't get there by cheating. Maybe that was incredibly good analysis and preparation. But if they possessed that skill then what were they lacking against the other school from Utah? Or against a much weaker UNLV team that they didn't do any better?
I expected BYU to lose this game. That's documented. But not like this. Not in some freak show beyond the pale of luck and logic. I believe that for BYU to have THAT much bad luck, they needed a little help from some self-minded individuals. Call me crazy. I think anyone is crazy NOT to consider the possibility given the outcome.
So P5 boosters better beware over the next two years! You won't be able to stop Tanner that way all the time, and the harder you try, the more likely you will be to get caught. Just saying! This kid will go all backyard on a team that thinks they know how he plays.
Here's hoping he stays healthy enough to get payback during the course of his career.
At the first intersection on my route, I noticed traffic was bad going left, so I decided to turn right to follow my alternative route which is normally only a few seconds longer. As it turned out, by making that decision, I actually ran into further incidental delays, a garbage truck, a distracted driver, hitting two stop lights one second two late. Sitting at the second red light, knowing I had one more more to go just two blocks away, and knowing that the third light on my route was often out of sync, I began to worry about what could go wrong between me and the next light. My vehicle was first in line and I didn't have to change lanes, so I assumed everything should be fine for getting through the next light before it turned red.
Then Murphy pulled up next to me.
A car to my right pulled up to the traffic stop and as the light turned green this car proceeded to accelerate and dangerously wedge in between me and the traffic stopped at the next light. After having one of those moments you later regret and confess in priesthood lesson sharing times, I noticed that this car was not going to make the red light. Primarily because they weren't paying attention. Had I been in that spot, knowing the short timing of the light, I would have hurried and made it through a "rellow" light. But with Murphy in front of me, I couldn't make the last light. I checked my watch and realized that what was going to be a tight schedule to make my train was now going to be even tighter. A couple minutes more down the road, and a scurry from the parking lot to the train, I double-timed it up the stairs only to watch the train pulling away from the platform.
I missed the express.
That meant I'd have to get the local train which takes 10 minutes longer and comes 10 minutes later. So but for about 20 seconds, I lost 20 minutes. Now I recognized that in that string of random events, I could have turned left rather than right and maybe that would have changed things. But in reality, everything else would have worked out fine except for the deliberate actions of a self-minded driver.
Randomness, in this case, couldn't keep me from by train all by itself. It had to have a little help.
Two weeks ago I posted that the popular narrative about Tanner Mangum was that he got lucky. I argued this narrative was wrong and that it didn't make sense because the actual events, if luck, could also just as easily be construed as bad luck. As a test, it was logical to assume that if Tanner just got lucky twice, then BYU should be blown out by UCLA. If they weren't lucky, if two great defensive stands could be parlayed into a third great defensive stand, then BYU should show its true colors. It wouldn't be a lucky team, it would be a very GOOD team!
The UCLA game, despite the loss, still seemed to back up that point of view. BYU was actually great in that game, and with one more quarter of defense, the headlines would have read that BYU manhandled UCLA, took charge early and never looked back. As it was, BYU still had a chance to win the game, in the end, got unlucky. But it proved they were at least a good team, if not a great team.
Then comes Michigan.
106 yards of offense, so-called, a shut out, some terrible looking defense and lots of people willing to say "i told you cougars so," with no shortage of fans picking their dead-horse coaching staff member to beat. But something stands out to me here. One simple stat: that this was the LOWEST offensive production since 1974.
Are we kidding here? We have to go back to practically the pre-LaVell era to find a stat THAT low? Something smells rotten here, and at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy cook, I'm going to be the one to say it.
I think someone might have pulled a fast one, maybe even outright cheated.
Consider that after the last three weeks it would be illogical to predict this outcome. Not to pick on Schmoe who wrote a great OP to start his thread, but I want to use his points to make mine. Nothing personal, I happen to agree with him, YES that's what it LOOKS like should be the "Why we lost" of this one. But even his points don't hold up. Here's what I mean:
>1. Fatigue: Hard on players and coaches to go through two emotional wins, a >heartbreaking loss, and play in four time zones in four weeks.
Granted, but LESS well-conditioned players at BYU have gone through MORE gruelling stretches and not performed so poorly. Why this time now?
>2. Hype: after the game last week, you start to believe your own press clippings, etc. >Playing in front of one of the largest crowds in football on TV's biggest stage can also be >overwhelming.
Did ANYONE on the BYU team REALLY have swagger after UCLA? Did ANY of the players let up in practice because they believed their press clippings? Even if they did. 100 yards and 31-0? Compare this team to the 2010 Squad with Jake Heaps and Riley Nelson. Talk about believing your press clippings. Even THAT junk put up 10 points in Doak Walker Stadium against Florida State! And Florida State that year was at least comparable to where Michigan is right now.
Does anyone seriously believe Mangum is WORSE than Jake Heaps as a starter?
>3. Fundamentals/Execution: Absolutely need to be bringing players down on first ?>contact and filling correct rushing lanes. O-line needs to pick up blitzes and shouldn't >be giving up sacks because of a simple D-line twist.
The change from the first two games to the last two games is nothing less than stunning on this point. Perhaps good video review is all it took to scout it out, but just 100 yards of offense? really?
> 4. Effort: Just didn't seem like we really wanted it today.
Actually I'll call BS on that. If that were true Michigan would have scored in the second half at least once. The BYU defense, despite its flaws did NOT quit the game. Few seem to notice that the defense stayed and played.
> 5. Officials: they didn't help us today, but at this point, it's just adding to the pile.
Largely inconsequential considering the outcome.
While all of the points might be true, not a single one of them explains the total implosion of the offense. Not even all of them together is sufficient to explain why Tanner Mangum, Adam Hine, and the best receiver corp we have seen in a long time (compare these guys to the clowns that dropped 13 of Feterik's passes in a single game and you are reminded that we have seriously good hands on the receiver squad this year), came up goose egg in EVERY meaningful way. And this not at the hands of a ranked opponent, but rather a rebuilding Michigan squad that could not outperform UCLA's performance against UNLV. Sure Michigan is good, and maybe under Harbaugh they are on their way to great. But BYU has done better against TOUGHER competition in the past. Why now?
When you consider how important it is to the P5 conferences for BYU NOT to be in the national hunt, and how close they came to getting there in the UCLA game, and how a few people STILL thought that BYU could remain relevant even with the UCLA loss, pose yourself this question: "Which is harder to believe? (A) That Tanner Mangum, who was capable of walking off the bench and picking up the offense from an injured Taysom Hill, leads BYU to two incredible wins and gives #10 ranked UCLA a serious scare in its own house has an outing so poor it makes the BYU history books, or (B) that in this information rich age, with millions of dollars at stake should BYU steal away bowl spot, someone finds a way to read Tanner's calls or worse, procures a copy of the BYU playbook and analyzes it, boiling down its setups to reveal key weaknesses to the UM defensive coordinator, leaving a hapless BYU squad dazed and confused because NOTHING they seem to try turns out to work. They can't even figure out how to adjust to it in the second half.
While it may sound hard to believe item (B), go back and consider what you are asking yourself to believe about (A). BYU was on the giving end of such a beat down once before. We all remember it clearly. 59-0 against UCLA in one of the most glorious routs the school has ever seen. You might ask if I'm so quick to accuse nameless, unscrupulous P5 boosters in general, then why wouldn't BYU be likely guilty of something similar?
Because there are logical explanations for the UCLA offensive implosion that don't hold up here. UCLA had a new coach who was clearly unprepared playing in a tough venue. UCLA had a new QB who was not on the same page with said coach. BYU got lucky breaks on a rapid series of plays that boosted them 20 points within 5 minutes early in the game. BYU still scored in the second half. UCLA defense DID seem to throw in the towel. Yes BYU got some luck going their way and the momentum carried along.
This game was different.
Bronco is not Neuheisel, and Harbaugh is still human.
I can remember many years ago watching as a kid stole the answer book in fifth grade. Our teacher, upon noticing the book was missing, wisely let the thing play out. When this student, an otherwise C or B average performer, suddenly got EVERY question right, it wasn't hard to know where to look for the missing answer book.
Michigan knew how to play BYU. Maybe they didn't get there by cheating. Maybe that was incredibly good analysis and preparation. But if they possessed that skill then what were they lacking against the other school from Utah? Or against a much weaker UNLV team that they didn't do any better?
I expected BYU to lose this game. That's documented. But not like this. Not in some freak show beyond the pale of luck and logic. I believe that for BYU to have THAT much bad luck, they needed a little help from some self-minded individuals. Call me crazy. I think anyone is crazy NOT to consider the possibility given the outcome.
So P5 boosters better beware over the next two years! You won't be able to stop Tanner that way all the time, and the harder you try, the more likely you will be to get caught. Just saying! This kid will go all backyard on a team that thinks they know how he plays.
Here's hoping he stays healthy enough to get payback during the course of his career.

