Archived Topic

Not looking back

by hawkwing · 9/26/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm not looking back at that debacle of BYU v Michigan. Nothing positive came out of it. Nothing to build on. Just reset and go to work.
S
Screamineagle
This is what you get when you travel all over the country play highly emotional games and lose some key players.Poor guys just ran out of gas.We will now end up exactly where we thought we would at the end of the season.Best thing is just to forget about today and move on.
K
KingCoug
Like I said, the only good that can come from it is whatever Tanner can learn from the loss.



I suspect Bronco and Anae won't learn a thing. This has happened too many times before to hope they will.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Well, I hope somebody somewhere takes a good long hard look back at the game. That was disgusting.



BYU can't do this in the future. As much as Holmoe would like to think we can play anybody anywhere, we can't. At least not back to back to back.



Anae sucks. You can throw out all the stats you want, but any DC with an ounce of talent that takes BYU halfway seriously exposes Anae's ineptitude.



Our players were unfocused and undisciplined. That's on the coaches. I am tired of seeing our coaches hardly reacting to us getting blown out of the water. Do they need to have a melt down, no. But standing there all stern, emotionless while millions of fans are pulling their hair out is tiring. Show some fervor. Show some hustle. I love seeing Harbaugh bang on his QB's pads, getting after his guys, and arguing every call even when up 31 points. Bronco standing there with a grown on his face shows me he's given up and is way over his head.



Holmoe should call ESPN up and give them their money back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Well, I hope somebody somewhere takes a good long hard look back at the game. That was disgusting.



BYU can't do this in the future. As much as Holmoe would like to think we can play anybody anywhere, we can't. At least not back to back to back.



Anae sucks. You can throw out all the stats you want, but any DC with an ounce of talent that takes BYU halfway seriously exposes Anae's ineptitude.



Our players were unfocused and undisciplined. That's on the coaches. I am tired of seeing our coaches hardly reacting to us getting blown out of the water. Do they need to have a melt down, no. But standing there all stern, emotionless while millions of fans are pulling their hair out is tiring. Show some fervor. Show some hustle. I love seeing Harbaugh bang on his QB's pads, getting after his guys, and arguing every call even when up 31 points. Bronco standing there with a grown on his face shows me he's given up and is way over his head.



Holmoe should call ESPN up and give them their money back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I don't know that giving our money back will help us get any better as a team.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
It's precisely games like this that we need to pay attention to and understand.



I know the Anae (and to some extent Bronco) defenders want to just pretend like this didn't happen and run off to UConn, but this type of game - that happens at least once a year - needs to be monitored. Anae is garbage against any team with 3 star athletes, game tape, and a defensive coach that has at least half a clue. I mean, the DC stacked against the rollout and Tanner rolled into uneven blitzes.



So, if they have a bunch of guys coming from one side of the field, we should go to the other side of the field, right? NOPE.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Brayden Green wrote:
It's precisely games like this that we need to pay attention to and understand.



I know the Anae (and to some extent Bronco) defenders want to just pretend like this didn't happen and run off to UConn, but this type of game - that happens at least once a year - needs to be monitored. Anae is garbage against any team with 3 star athletes, game tape, and a defensive coach that has at least half a clue. I mean, the DC stacked against the rollout and Tanner rolled into uneven blitzes.



So, if they have a bunch of guys coming from one side of the field, we should go to the other side of the field, right? NOPE.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well said. You want to get better? You dang well should look at this game. Over and over and over. Well, unless you're one of the schmucks among us who want to just go and beat a bunch of AAC teams and things all is fine in BYU land. :roll:
G
Guest
KingCoug wrote:
It's precisely games like this that we need to pay attention to and understand.



I know the Anae (and to some extent Bronco) defenders want to just pretend like this didn't happen and run off to UConn, but this type of game - that happens at least once a year - needs to be monitored. Anae is garbage against any team with 3 star athletes, game tape, and a defensive coach that has at least half a clue. I mean, the DC stacked against the rollout and Tanner rolled into uneven blitzes.



So, if they have a bunch of guys coming from one side of the field, we should go to the other side of the field, right? NOPE.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well said. You want to get better? You dang well should look at this game. Over and over and over. Well, unless you're one of the schmucks among us who want to just go and beat a bunch of AAC teams and things all is fine in BYU land. :roll:


Let me know then how you 2 fans watching this game tape 3 times today will make this team better for next week. I didn't say the coaches shouldn't look at this game and learn and grow from it. Obviously they should. But I'm not a coach. I know a lot more about football than you and Brayden, but nothing I pick out from this game will help improve the team.
G
Gunk
Brayden Green wrote:



So, if they have a bunch of guys coming from one side of the field, we should go to the other side of the field, right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Anae: They are loaded up on one side.

Tanner: We should probably go the other direction.

Anae: No, they will be expecting that. We go to the loaded side.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:

Let me know then how you 2 fans watching this game tape 3 times today will make this team better for next week. I didn't say the coaches shouldn't look at this game and learn and grow from it. Obviously they should. But I'm not a coach. I know a lot more about football than you and Brayden, but nothing I pick out from this game will help improve the team.


You would hope the coaches would look at this kind of game and grow from it. But, as I've said, this keeps happening almost every year. At least from 2008 on. Sorry, but the 2006 team is still Bronco's all around best team to date.



2008 - caught off guard and humiliated by TCU 32-7



2009 - caught off guard and humiliated by Florida State 28-54



2010 - destroyed by both TCU (3-31) and Florida State (10-34)



2011 - caught off guard and humiliated by Utah 54-10



2012 - caught off guard and beaten by Oregon State 42-24





It's these "head scratcher" games that many find so frustrating. Even if we expect to lose, we do expect to show better than we do in these.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Gunk wrote:



So, if they have a bunch of guys coming from one side of the field, we should go to the other side of the field, right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Anae: They are loaded up on one side.

Tanner: We should probably go the other direction.

Anae: No, they will be expecting that. We go to the loaded side.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


But Hawk and Anae certainly know better.



I'll say one thing Hawk. I know what a damned mid-screen is to the halfback, I know what a tight end is, and I know what quick slants over the middle look like, and that's more than Anae can say. I doubt you know more than me about football, but I'm also not really into online pissing matches.
S
SpiffCoug
Ha! Brayden says he's not about online pissing matches. Funniest thing I've read all day.



BYU did run a screen - to Moroni Laulu-Pututau it was completely snuffed out. Our WRs couldn't get off the LOS. They couldn't lose their defenders anywhere on the field. I'm not sure a quick slant would have worked either.



I know what a TE is as well, and BYU currently doesn't have one worth anything on the roster.
B
Brayden Green
It's basic offensive syrategy. When they are coming with a heavy blitz, including linebackers, then you run slants to inside slot receivers and tight ends and run draw plays and screens. Mark Lyons and Nate Meikle and Greg Wrubell know MUCH MUCH MUCH more than anyone on this board, and we're saying the same things. Listen to their criticism of Anae and the offense on the post game.



Instead, our OC has the offense running downfield routes and out routes aND throwing down field on first down. Smarter people than me (and all of you) are saying the same things.



Well, to know if we have a tight end or not we would need to A) recruit them and not convert them to OL or DE and B) actually play them. We have 0 throws to tight ends in 4 games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
One thing that was frustrating today was that I didn't see us run one thing on offense that Michigan wasn't prepared for. I didn't see anything that showed the offense had something they thought they could exploit on offense.



Conversely, Michigan clearly saw things they could exploit against our defense. And there was nothing we showed them on defense that they weren't prepared for.



I saw no player win any one-on-one battle. We were owned at every position on both sides of the ball. It was a poor effort of preparation by the coaches and a poor effort of execution by the players.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
I know a lot more about football than you and Brayden


Really? Is that where we are taking our disagreements now?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Personally, I hope the coaches shut off the Wi-Fi on the plane and put this game on loop on the on-flight TVs and force the team to watch this thing. Maybe even take the long way home via Anchorage to let it marinade a little bit. This needs to fester a bit, and Holmoe needs to sit down and have a come-to-Jesus moment with Bronco: this was the most embarrassing loss on the national stage for BYU. This surpasses the UTEP loss of 85. This was a ranked BYU team that embarrassed itself on national TV--105 yards total offense, gave up 31 points on five straight possessions to a team that only beat UNLV...U N L V...28 to 7. Not only did UNLV score more points and hold Michigan to fewer points, but they actually gained 235 yards. BYU looked like the suckiest-bunch-of-sucks-who-ever-sucked this morning, and the whole nation got to see it. Holmoe needs to make it crystal clear that let downs like today and the Miami Beach Bowl are not going to cut it for BYU. He needs to let Bronco know that Bronco does have to answer to someone for the product he fields.



Fans can pretend like there's nothing to learn here, but that's ignoring a trend under Bronco of mismanaging his team emotionally and ignoring Anae's stubborn streak that gets him kicking the pricks with his playcalling at least once every season. Today just happened to be a perfect storm convergence of both faults. Until Bronco learns how to get his team to overcome emotion and until Anae learns that flexibility can, in fact, be a virtue and sign of maturity, BYU is going to lose games they should/could win every year, and embarrassments like this are going to continue. I've been at some lame games: 0-3, getting shellacked by AFA five years ago, Crowton's dark days, etc., but this game took the cake because the team gave up before the first quarter was out, and the play calling made it apparent that the coaches threw in the towel before the half as well.
S
SpiffCoug
And remind Bronco that he is 6-7 in his last 13 games. His defense has given up 24 or more points in five straight games and 13 of the last 15 (the only two who didn't were a 2-11 UNLV team [who scored 23] and Savannah St).
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
And remind Bronco that he is 6-7 in his last 13 games. His defense has given up 24 or more points in five straight games and 13 of the last 15 (the only two who didn't were a 2-11 UNLV team [who scored 23] and Savannah St).

The defense has not been that good the last two seasons.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
snoscythe wrote:
Personally, I hope the coaches shut off the Wi-Fi on the plane and put this game on loop on the on-flight TVs and force the team to watch this thing. Maybe even take the long way home via Anchorage to let it marinade a little bit. This needs to fester a bit, and Holmoe needs to sit down and have a come-to-Jesus moment with Bronco: this was the most embarrassing loss on the national stage for BYU. This surpasses the UTEP loss of 85. This was a ranked BYU team that embarrassed itself on national TV--105 yards total offense, gave up 31 points on five straight possessions to a team that only beat UNLV...U N L V...28 to 7. Not only did UNLV score more points and hold Michigan to fewer points, but they actually gained 235 yards. BYU looked like the suckiest-bunch-of-sucks-who-ever-sucked this morning, and the whole nation got to see it. Holmoe needs to make it crystal clear that let downs like today and the Miami Beach Bowl are not going to cut it for BYU. He needs to let Bronco know that Bronco does have to answer to someone for the product he fields.



Fans can pretend like there's nothing to learn here, but that's ignoring a trend under Bronco of mismanaging his team emotionally and ignoring Anae's stubborn streak that gets him kicking the pricks with his playcalling at least once every season. Today just happened to be a perfect storm convergence of both faults. Until Bronco learns how to get his team to overcome emotion and until Anae learns that flexibility can, in fact, be a virtue and sign of maturity, BYU is going to lose games they should/could win every year, and embarrassments like this are going to continue. I've been at some lame games: 0-3, getting shellacked by AFA five years ago, Crowton's dark days, etc., but this game took the cake because the team gave up before the first quarter was out, and the play calling made it apparent that the coaches threw in the towel before the half as well.


You summed up my thoughts perfectly.



It's at times like this thato I'm not even looking to Bronco anymore. I'm looking to Holmoe.



Sorry but it's been a case of diminishing returns under Bronco since 2010. Our best all around team is still 2006.



Holmoe needs to do something because Bronco won't.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Yep, let's get a new coach...because anyone can come in and win 70% of their games at BYU. Oh, wait, no, that's not true at all. Only 2 coaches in 100 years of football have been successful at the school.



And if the obvious replacements are Sitake (wasn't a great play caller at Utah and his Oregon St. defense is a joke) or Bevell (who is likely getting run out of Seattle) let's slow down just a little bit.



Sometimes the other team just plays better. It happens.



I will say this though...the defense came out in the 2nd half and showed effort, the offense not so much. I wouldn't hate a change in leadership on offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.