Archived Topic

The onside kick

by sage · 9/23/2015

Advertisement
S
sage
As some may remember, I ref fb. I love it. I got to watch the UCLA game with another friend of mine that I ref with a lot. When the onsides kick happened, I was taken by surprise because the camera angles weren't good. But then when I saw it in full motion, it appeared that our guy's hand was on the out of bounds line before he gained possession. So I called it that we should not have gotten the ball.



Then all the replays started being shown, and the view was not conclusive for the hand being on the line. It still looked like it was, but it wasn't conclusive enough to overturn the ref's call.



But what was conclusive that the replay officials did not mention or apparently see, was our guys foot was out of bounds before control. You can see his foot on the ground out side the line from two different camera angles. Bad call. We should not have gotten that possession. If a player has any part of his body touching out of bounds when he contacts a loose ball, the ball becomes dead at that point. It should have been UCLA's.



I was very surprised that a pac-12 ref crew gave us that possession. We were both surprised. Shouldn't have happened. I still think the pac-12 refs are the worst in the country. And then to see them blow a call in our favor, that was amazing.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU coaches noticed that's why we punted on that series instead of driving down the field and scoring another touchdown to go up 14-0. Going up 14-0 would have meant UCLA coaches would have had to rely on Josh Rosen to throw the ball to get them back in the game.
F
Fido
Sometimes the calls help you, sometimes they hurt you.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
BYU coaches noticed that's why we punted on that series instead of driving down the field and scoring another touchdown to go up 14-0. Going up 14-0 would have meant UCLA coaches would have had to rely on Josh Rosen to throw the ball to get them back in the game.


The only thing I would disagree with is that they would have to throw their way back into the game. When you give up 5 runs for 173 yards, you don't need to throw your way back into a game. :)
S
SpiffCoug
frdbtr wrote:
BYU coaches noticed that's why we punted on that series instead of driving down the field and scoring another touchdown to go up 14-0. Going up 14-0 would have meant UCLA coaches would have had to rely on Josh Rosen to throw the ball to get them back in the game.


The only thing I would disagree with is that they would have to throw their way back into the game. When you give up 5 runs for 173 yards, you don't need to throw your way back into a game. :)

Fair enough. But maybe they don't discover that down 14-0?
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
I'd love to have an opinion on this but I was busy watching the 10th inning of a MLB game for two teams I don't remember and whose own fans didn't seem to care too much about :angry:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
It looked good to me, I couldn't see where any part of his body went out before gaining possession, so I thought the right call was to let it stand.
U
urroner
hawkwing wrote:
It looked good to me, I couldn't see where any part of his body went out before gaining possession, so I thought the right call was to let it stand.


8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)



I'm glad you've got your blue goggles on dude.
I
imuakahuku
hawkwing wrote:
It looked good to me, I couldn't see where any part of his body went out before gaining possession, so I thought the right call was to let it stand.

I agree. You can see the divet where his foot hit in bounds (the grass fly onto the white but it looks like his foot lifts up and he then secures the ball and then the foot comes down. At first I thought he was out too but after the replays I looked more like he was in than out. I'm glad the rewarded the team for being aggressive and I'm glad reply didn't see something that wasn't there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.