Archived Topic

BYU needs to change their return man

by blue42 · 9/22/2015

Advertisement
B
blue42
This is one area where there is a BIG gapping hole. I love Blackmon and think he is a great receiver, but I he lacks what it takes to be a good return man. It looks like he gets the ball, runs 10 yards and them goes fetal before anyone can hit him. It puts BYU's offense in bad starting position every single kickoff starting off at the 15 yard line. It takes a different mind set to be a return guy and he doesn't have it.



We all know that Hine will not be returning kick offs now that he is the featured back, but maybe Nate Carter would be better. As a running back he is accustomed to looking for holes and accelerating through them. He has been kind of hit and miss this year in the backfield but I think this would be an area where he would really excel at.



Whomever is it is a change needs to take place. Who do you think could do it?
S
Schmoe
Special teams in general have looked like special ed the last two games.
S
snoscythe
This is me on every punt/KO from BYU to UCLA on Saturday night



http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/foreveroptimist1/spazzing.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
blue42
I think that Mitch Juergens would be pretty good at it. That was a pretty impressive catch and run that got called back with Matthew's holding call.
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
This is me on every punt/KO from BYU to UCLA on Saturday night



http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/foreveroptimist1/spazzing.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

that would have been you during the Nebraska game as well if their All-American PR hadn't hurt his foot late in the football camp.



BYU dodged a bullet.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I want JJ DiLuigi. I loved watching him



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
I want JJ DiLuigi. I loved watching him



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


...another super talented guy who was never the same after a lisfranc. Stupid newspapers.
C
Cougs_Rule
Here's an idea. Don't lose backyard, legacy family recruits to Utah. Its a world upside down seeing a Covey play--and seriously contributing for freakin utah!!!!!

Hw ever did BYU those that kid? Was it his LB friend? Was it a Kpuke for a coach? Was it the pattern of arrogance by all of BYU athletics to expect local legacy kids to pay their own way and not fawn over them?

Sorry to be negative here. I've been on a positive roll lately, but this is a bit maddening to me.
S
SpiffCoug
Covey didn't want to come to BYU.
G
Guest
Honestly Covey has done far better than I ever expected him to. Of course he has a few things going for him in his favor. He's the most talented receiver on Utah's team. That says a lot about how poor the other receivers on Utah are. Secondly, they haven't played anyone good yet, when you're going against crappy defenses a small fiery slot guy can look pretty amazing. But when you're going up against a capable defense, that has scouted him. I'm not sure he'll be able to maintain his level of play. Thirdly, I don't think Michigan was really ready for this kid at all and caught them by surprise.



Maybe he will turn into an all time great, or maybe he's just having a good few games, I don't know. We'll see as the season plays out.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Per Ben Criddle, Covey did not want to come t o BYU because of the out-dated conditioning program at BYU which resulted in a needless career-ending injury to his older brother. Covey passing on BYU and going to the U was the motivating factor behind Bronco going out and bringing in Wintrich, so you could say Covey has been a tremendously impactful recruit for BYU as well. If he comes to BYU, we might never have seen BYU step into the 21st century with conditioning etc.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.