Archived Topic

Coach Whittingham casting a negative light on the Church

by hawkwing · 9/22/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
So this post is for our friend who feels like BYU being dirty hurts the church image.



I believe that Coach Whittingham's consistent classless behavior casts just as negative a light on the Church as anything BYU does.



The latest incident involved Whittingham directing his offense to run a play action pass for a touchdown with 40 seconds left to go when they were already up by 2 touchdowns.



Now to everyone outside of the state of Utah the Utes represent the LDS Church. Anything, frankly that comes out of Utah, reflects on the Church. So shouldn't Whittingham as an active LDS head coach be more cognizant of the repercussions of his classless actions?
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:
So this post is for our friend who feels like BYU being dirty hurts the church image.



I believe that Coach Whittingham's consistent classless behavior casts just as negative a light on the Church as anything BYU does.



The latest incident involved Whittingham directing his offense to run a play action pass for a touchdown with 40 seconds left to go when they were already up by 2 touchdowns.



Now to everyone outside of the state of Utah the Utes represent the LDS Church. Anything, frankly that comes out of Utah, reflects on the Church. So shouldn't Whittingham as an active LDS head coach be more cognizant of the repercussions of his classless actions?

Seems like a stretch to me. As a state school they get a pass on ties to religion where BYU doesn't because it is a church school. I think it reflects on Whittingham as a person though.
G
Guest
Fido wrote:
So this post is for our friend who feels like BYU being dirty hurts the church image.



I believe that Coach Whittingham's consistent classless behavior casts just as negative a light on the Church as anything BYU does.



The latest incident involved Whittingham directing his offense to run a play action pass for a touchdown with 40 seconds left to go when they were already up by 2 touchdowns.



Now to everyone outside of the state of Utah the Utes represent the LDS Church. Anything, frankly that comes out of Utah, reflects on the Church. So shouldn't Whittingham as an active LDS head coach be more cognizant of the repercussions of his classless actions?

Seems like a stretch to me. As a state school they get a pass on ties to religion where BYU doesn't because it is a church school. I think it reflects on Whittingham as a person though.

You look at any outsiders fan perspective on Utah and they call them a Mormon school, full of Mormon players.
G
Guest
And yes, it's meant to be a stretch, if not a farce, just like a punch to the inner thigh during a football game from a BYU player damages the reputation of the church.
G
Guest
Throw in the fact that he coached his defensive players to specifically target and take out Chuckie Keeton's knee and you've got a real stain on the Church.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
So this post is for our friend who feels like BYU being dirty hurts the church image.



I believe that Coach Whittingham's consistent classless behavior casts just as negative a light on the Church as anything BYU does.



The latest incident involved Whittingham directing his offense to run a play action pass for a touchdown with 40 seconds left to go when they were already up by 2 touchdowns.



Now to everyone outside of the state of Utah the Utes represent the LDS Church. Anything, frankly that comes out of Utah, reflects on the Church. So shouldn't Whittingham as an active LDS head coach be more cognizant of the repercussions of his classless actions?

Seems like a stretch to me. As a state school they get a pass on ties to religion where BYU doesn't because it is a church school. I think it reflects on Whittingham as a person though.

You look at any outsiders fan perspective on Utah and they call them a Mormon school, full of Mormon players.


I've lived outside of Utah my entire life and have never run across this. Of course, most people outside of Utah could really care less about U of Utah, period. They hardly ever come up in my college football discussions with co-workers and non-LDS friends. (I also don't live in PAC-12 territory)
F
Fido
byufan4ever wrote:

I've lived outside of Utah my entire life and have never run across this. Of course, most people outside of Utah could really care less about U of Utah, period. They hardly ever come up in my college football discussions with co-workers and non-LDS friends. (I also don't live in PAC-12 territory)

Agreed--in my time outside of Utah, the U of U never was a topic of conversation unless someone had attended there.
G
Guest
byufan4ever wrote:
Fido wrote:
So this post is for our friend who feels like BYU being dirty hurts the church image.



I believe that Coach Whittingham's consistent classless behavior casts just as negative a light on the Church as anything BYU does.



The latest incident involved Whittingham directing his offense to run a play action pass for a touchdown with 40 seconds left to go when they were already up by 2 touchdowns.



Now to everyone outside of the state of Utah the Utes represent the LDS Church. Anything, frankly that comes out of Utah, reflects on the Church. So shouldn't Whittingham as an active LDS head coach be more cognizant of the repercussions of his classless actions?

Seems like a stretch to me. As a state school they get a pass on ties to religion where BYU doesn't because it is a church school. I think it reflects on Whittingham as a person though.

You look at any outsiders fan perspective on Utah and they call them a Mormon school, full of Mormon players.


I've lived outside of Utah my entire life and have never run across this. Of course, most people outside of Utah could really care less about U of Utah, period. They hardly ever come up in my college football discussions with co-workers and non-LDS friends. (I also don't live in PAC-12 territory)


In the smack talk I've seen from teams like Michigan, Stanford, etc. They typically call Utah a Mormon school and wonder how many wives the players have, etc. Now it's true, outside of an upcoming game no one thinks about Utah, but during that game week they do think of them as an LDS school.
C
Cougarfan87
On the local radio earlier this season, here in Alabama, they were talking about Michigan playing both Utah and BYU and cracking jokes about how many wives they will bring to both games. So yeah, they are seen as LDS teams.
C
Cougs_Rule
Agreed about this being a stretch. There are plenty of behaviors more befitting his classless-ness. And pointing this out merely cheapens the worthy ones and makes look deperate.

KWhitt is a classless, victim of his fathers vicimhood--along with all the wittinghams. Timpview should be kicked in the teeth for hiring a Whitt. Idiots.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Agreed about this being a stretch. There are plenty of behaviors more befitting his classless-ness. And pointing this out merely cheapens the worthy ones and makes look deperate.

KWhitt is a classless, victim of his fathers vicimhood--along with all the wittinghams. Timpview should be kicked in the teeth for hiring a Whitt. Idiots.


If I remember correctly, there are only two coaches that coach Edwards ever fired: the one mentioned by Jim McMahon during his HOF induction ceremony and Fred Whittingham. He fired the first guy because he didn't know how to coach. He fired Whittingham, even though he was a tremendous coach, because he was abusive. I'm surprised Kyle turned out as well adjusted as he has.
S
Schmoe
I don't think pointing this out cheapens anything else, it continues to show a pattern of classlessness and that KWhitt hasn't learned from the previous criticism.
B
blue42
Hey he is in a P5 conference so when Ole Miss hung 73 on Fresno St, Utah was grossly outperformed with the measly 45 they put up so he tried to run up the score as much as possible. I am surprised he didn't call for an onside kick after that last touchdown so he could get the finger from Fresno St's coach as well.
B
BlueK
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Agreed about this being a stretch. There are plenty of behaviors more befitting his classless-ness. And pointing this out merely cheapens the worthy ones and makes look deperate.

KWhitt is a classless, victim of his fathers vicimhood--along with all the wittinghams. Timpview should be kicked in the teeth for hiring a Whitt. Idiots.


If I remember correctly, there are only two coaches that coach Edwards ever fired: the one mentioned by Jim McMahon during his HOF induction ceremony and Fred Whittingham. He fired the first guy because he didn't know how to coach. He fired Whittingham, even though he was a tremendous coach, because he was abusive. I'm surprised Kyle turned out as well adjusted as he has.


I never heard that Fred Whittingham was fired. Maybe he was, but it didn't look like it because he went straight to a job with the LA Rams. So even if he was fired, on the surface it just looked like an assistant leaving for a job in the NFL.



There are two assistants I had heard were fired by Lavell. One was the OC who replaced Doug Scovil (Wally English). He was only there for one season and he started messing with the offense more than what Lavell or the players wanted, so he was gone. That's who McMahon was talking about. The other was Claude Bassett who years later surfaced at Kentucky, I think, and got into big trouble with the NCAA. I guess it's possible Lavell maybe wanted Fred W to move on, but the NFL was a nice landing place for him, and I'm sure Lavell was probably happy with that.
S
snoscythe
I know Ron McBride fired Whittingham from the U ~2000, but he was never fired from BYU.



Fred's beef with BYU was that he came back from the NFL after working with the Rams willing to work for almost free, and BYU didn't make room for him, choosing instead to leave Ken Schmidt's defensive staff as-is and not fire anyone to make room for Fred at the same or lower cost. He was financially secure and wanted to coach close to his home, which is right on the bench below the Y--his wife still lives there today, so he was willing to work essentially for free, and BYU turned that offer down. He was never fired, and his departure was amicable enough to where he wanted to come back after his stint in LA.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Utah and coach W use the church when it suits them, like when recruiting LDS athletes, but never get out of their comfort zone to defend the church if called upon. They want to have it both ways, pro LDS to bring in recruits and Ant-LDS to keep the PAC12 partners happy.
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
I know Ron McBride fired Whittingham from the U ~2000, but he was never fired from BYU.



Fred's beef with BYU was that he came back from the NFL after working with the Rams willing to work for almost free, and BYU didn't make room for him, choosing instead to leave Ken Schmidt's defensive staff as-is and not fire anyone to make room for Fred at the same or lower cost. He was financially secure and wanted to coach close to his home, which is right on the bench below the Y--his wife still lives there today, so he was willing to work essentially for free, and BYU turned that offer down. He was never fired, and his departure was amicable enough to where he wanted to come back after his stint in LA.


Bitter, vindictive ever since--the whole fam.its why playing BYUS will never be "just another" game to KWhitt. He'd rather beat the Cougs and lose the next week to UNLV.
H
HoosierCougar
BYULV wrote:
Utah and coach W use the church when it suits them, like when recruiting LDS athletes, but never get out of their comfort zone to defend the church if called upon. They want to have it both ways, pro LDS to bring in recruits and Ant-LDS to keep the PAC12 partners happy.


Along these lines, I saw an interesting tweet on one of the "BYU Adavantaged by RMs" Twitter threads last week. A :utard: fan was chirping about how "Our Ute RMs come back in totally great shape and contribute immediately" to the team. He kept piping up about how it's a total advantage for BYU (but somehow not for the :utard: ). As it suits them.
S
Stirfry
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I know Ron McBride fired Whittingham from the U ~2000, but he was never fired from BYU.



Fred's beef with BYU was that he came back from the NFL after working with the Rams willing to work for almost free, and BYU didn't make room for him, choosing instead to leave Ken Schmidt's defensive staff as-is and not fire anyone to make room for Fred at the same or lower cost. He was financially secure and wanted to coach close to his home, which is right on the bench below the Y--his wife still lives there today, so he was willing to work essentially for free, and BYU turned that offer down. He was never fired, and his departure was amicable enough to where he wanted to come back after his stint in LA.


Bitter, vindictive ever since--the whole fam.its why playing BYUS will never be "just another" game to KWhitt. He'd rather beat the Cougs and lose the next week to UNLV.

At the risk of losing this refreshingly positive Cougsrule I'm not sure I believe the whitts are bitter to BYU over this. Don't get me wrong that's not to say they aren't bitter but it's well documented that Kwhitt accepted the BYU coaching job in 2005 before changing his mind about it.

I think the way he operates is based on looking for a reason to feel disrespected and then allow that to fester. If your the head coach of Utah it wouldn't be hard to find a reason to not like BYU. If he can build up an internal chip on his shoulder against Wyoming and Fresno imagine what he can build up and use to motivate his team against us.



I'm surprised this has been really the only discussion I've seen anywhere on that Fresno ending. Who does that up two scores with under a minute left when they could run out the clock with a knee?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nuk13
blue42 wrote:
Hey he is in a P5 conference so when Ole Miss hung 73 on Fresno St, Utah was grossly outperformed with the measly 45 they put up so he tried to run up the score as much as possible. I am surprised he didn't call for an onside kick after that last touchdown so he could get the finger from Fresno St's coach as well.


I had thought the onside kick against Wyoming had been forgotten. For those who have forgotten, Utah had Wyoming down 50 to 0 and in the last minute or so. Whittingham had his team kick an onside kick. I talked to a fan who said the Cowboy coach had made an offensive remark and it was to get back at him. While that is probably true I think a 50 to 0 win would be all you'd need no matter what was said. It isn't just the coach you are playing that this is offensive to. It is also a poor example to your own players. That is one of the most unsportsmanlike incidents I have seen including the finger from the Cowboy coach. It isn't just what he does to BYU that lowers him in my eyes. Can you imagine Bronco or Edwards doing that? I don't feel good speaking of anyone like this. I hope he and the U of U increase their integrity. I hope not many think of the Lord's church when seeing things like this.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.