Archived Topic

Line opens with us as 6 point dogs to Michigan

by KingCoug · 9/22/2015

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Apparently, "Vegas thinks" that BYU still isn't a good team.
S
SpiffCoug
Apparently, "Vegas thinks" that BYU still isn't a good team.
S
SpiffCoug
Apparently, "Vegas thinks" that BYU still isn't a good team.
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
Apparently, "Vegas thinks" that BYU still isn't a good team.


Okay, we get it already. ;) :lol:
Advertisement
B
BlueK
SpiffCoug wrote:
Apparently, "Vegas thinks" that BYU still isn't a good team.


So far the lines have been proving that the gambling public is still completely out to lunch as far as BYU is concerned. It will be interesting to see how many more weeks it will take of BYU beating the crap out of the pointspread before folks catch on.
F
Fido
I'm not surprised that the Cougars are dogs on the road at Michigan. I expected them to be dogs in each of the first 4 games.
B
BlueK
Fido wrote:
I'm not surprised that the Cougars are dogs on the road at Michigan. I expected them to be dogs in each of the first 4 games.


The computer rankings formulas are far from perfect at this point in the season, but I also think it's interesting if you look at Sagarin, for example, that the vegas lines have still been way skewed in favor of our opponents in every game so far even when compared to the Sagarin ratings. Right now Sagarin has this game as pretty much a tossup even after factoring in home field. For UCLA it would have predicted UCLA by 9 points instead of 17. I seem to remember it would have had us favored over BSU by 1 and I think also it had us losing to Nebraska by 4 or 5 points less than the vegas line had it.
F
Fido
Well, and we need to remember that the Vegas line is not a prediction of who will win or lose--its putting odds on an outcome to balance the betting lines so they ensure the house makes money.
B
BlueK
Fido wrote:
Well, and we need to remember that the Vegas line is not a prediction of who will win or lose--its putting odds on an outcome to balance the betting lines so they ensure the house makes money.


Correct. Which would say that the gamblers have been way off base so far when evaluating BYU. And their perception still hasn't seem to have changed even with the results so far. The human polls and computer rankings have definitely noticed, but the gambling public has either not been paying enough attention or they're digging in their heels on their preconceived notions of BYU.
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
BlueK wrote:
Well, and we need to remember that the Vegas line is not a prediction of who will win or lose--its putting odds on an outcome to balance the betting lines so they ensure the house makes money.


Correct. Which would say that the gamblers have been way off base so far when evaluating BYU. And their perception still hasn't seem to have changed even with the results so far. The human polls and computer rankings have definitely noticed, but the gambling public has either not been paying enough attention or they're digging in their heels on their preconceived notions of BYU.


Until the BYU fans and Mormons start betting on the Cougars, the Vegas line/spread will always favor our foes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
Apparently, "Vegas thinks" that BYU still isn't a good team.


No, I think Vegas thinks BYU is a good team. It's just Michigan is at home - and Vegas has more faith in Jim Harbaugh than they do in Bronco Mendenhall. I get it. Harbaugh worked wonders at Stanford and got the 49ers to the Superbowl.



Anyway - I predict a very tough and close game. I am nervous about a Coug "W".

I call it a "toss-up". Hopefully my prayers for victory will help. ;)
D
Ddawg
MesaCougFan wrote:
Fido wrote:
Well, and we need to remember that the Vegas line is not a prediction of who will win or lose--its putting odds on an outcome to balance the betting lines so they ensure the house makes money.


Correct. Which would say that the gamblers have been way off base so far when evaluating BYU. And their perception still hasn't seem to have changed even with the results so far. The human polls and computer rankings have definitely noticed, but the gambling public has either not been paying enough attention or they're digging in their heels on their preconceived notions of BYU.


Until the BYU fans and Mormons start betting on the Cougars, the Vegas line/spread will always favor our foes.


I bet money on BYU regularly, and I drink Coke Zero like a fish. Am I a bad person?

;)
B
blue42
Well on a good note BYU is 3-0 against the spread this year!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.