Archived Topic

"4 for 40" - BYU @ UCLA

by MesaCougFan · 9/21/2015

Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
Leaving Mesa



My wife decided that this was the game that she would come to with me. She hasn't been to a BYU game live and in person sine 2013 Notre Dame @ South Bend. She only travels to the most historic sites! What a set of venues to experience BYU Cougar football! We planned on getting away in time to catch the fireside in Glendale, and all was on schedule until we were at about 51st Ave. on I-10 (about 45 min. from home), and she asks "you remembered the tickets right?" So I flip around to see if I can tempt the I-10 shooter 3 times over a 2 1/2 hour span!



I got the tickets, and instead of hitting the fireside, we hit the outlet mall in Indio on the way.



Saturday morning we went to Seal Beach to walk the main street, boardwalk and meet up with our friends.


Seal Beach.jpg

Boardwalk.jpg

Taco Surf.jpg

We ate lunch at a great Mexican restaurant called Taco Surf. I had the California Burrito special (Carne Asada and French Fries). I also caught the end of the UConn vs. Mizzou game, and saw UConn line up to kick the game tieing field goal with 30 seconds left only to fake it and throw the INT to lose! (I'm more confident about our chances in KC)
M
MesaCougFan
After Lunch



We headed up near Pasadena to the Griffith Observatory where we saw an exhibit on the Tesla Coil and looked through telescopes at the sun (I didn't know that you could do that!) that was a lot of fun, and very informative. The guy invited us back to see more stuff after dark, but I had to decline as I had a game to get to.


Griffith Observatory.jpg

Hollywood.jpg

Tesla Coil.jpg
C
Cougs_Rule
Sounds like you should plan a "season cap", as in night cap, to go to KC.

THanks for sharing. It's like Facebook and Instagram (I do neither) for Cougar Corner.

Dude, I hope your kids get your wife's looks. Just havin fun. :D
M
MesaCougFan
Cougar Town



After the Observatory, we headed to the golf course to park and find Cougar Town. I was amazed how many cars they parked on that golf course (and the damage that was done to it!). I was also disappointed that we were stuck on the course once we parked, and couldn't leave to meet our other friends for dinner off site.


Los Angeles.jpg

Mel & Cosmo.jpg
M
MesaCougFan
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Sounds like you should plan a "season cap", as in night cap, to go to KC.

THanks for sharing. It's like Facebook and Instagram (I do neither) for Cougar Corner.

Dude, I hope your kids get your wife's looks. Just havin fun. :D


Lucky for them they did get my wife's looks! Let her be a testament to how good of a salesman that I am!


Kids.jpg
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
Pregame



Before the season began, this was the game that I thought we would lose (all factors included). I picked a 3-1 September for my "4 for 40" even when the bobble heads and line setters all picked a 0-4 September for BYU. I told myself that even if BYU went 0-4 in September, I would still have an amazing journey that nobody could take from me. I would always have the best wife in the world who allowed me to visit four historic venues in College Football lore! I had already been treated to two amazing football experiences! How could this magic last?



At this point (before kickoff) I'm thinking "I really don't think the Cougs will win this game, but I'm certain that they will cover the 16 1/2 point spread."


Collage.jpg

Stadium



Big. Not very loud. Smelly. It was hot and humid.



We had great seats.


Great Seats.jpg

It was fun meeting people as the fans filed in. I saw Juergens parents finding their seats. I said to their mom "Are both your boys playing tonight?" She answered with an emphatic "Yes they are!" I could see the pure pride, joy and excitement in her eyes. That was neat.



I saw our newest big recruit Troy Warner.



When I stepped back in with my soda I was confronted by a security guard telling me and my entire section that we needed to vacate our seats and make room for the band. He said we need to go find a general admission seat and that we had to give our seats up. I thought "Heck no!" then I saw this guy.


Holmoe.jpg

I went up to him and asked him to intervene. He said we didnt bring the band and that we could keep our seats. I was very grateful.
M
MesaCougFan
The Game



What a great game! What a start! 3 and Out! We march down and score a TD! We're up 7-0 on the Mighty Bruins! The Cougar fans were loud and well represented.



Their Defense is world class and their running game might be the best in College football. As good as our run defense is, they had their way (because their running game is that good).



When we got to the fourth quarter with the lead I really thought we were going to get that "Signature Victory". I didn't think that we were going to lose.



When Anae called a draw on the 3rd down and 7 when we were in field goal range already, I thought "Terrible call". You can't blame one play for the entire game, but that was a big mistake in my novice opinion.



There were a few things that stand out to me;



1. That play

2. 3 points off three first half picks

3. 1 time out left for our last drive

4. the catch and long run by Juergens negated by penalty.



If any one of those four things change and go our way, I'm still celebrating!



It was difficult to go from pessimistic to optimistic to defeated. It's hard to lose any game, even a game you thought you were going to lose.



A 1 point loss on the road to the number 9 team in the land against a 16 1/2 point spread is a moral victory. I think the AP voters validated that by keeping us in at #22. I'm surprised that the Coaches voted us out.



I have to give props to Langi. He brought it on Saturday. I'm glad he's a Cougar and he needs to spend more time in the Offensive backfield (playing on Offense, and playing on Defense!)
C
Cougs_Rule
Great stuff Mesa!
G
Guest
Love reading it.
S
Stirfry
This is the coolest birthday gift ever. What's our schedule shaping up like in 2022? I may need to save for my 4-40. You've had 3 spectacular games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
Stirfry wrote:
This is the coolest birthday gift ever. What's our schedule shaping up like in 2022? I may need to save for my 4-40. You've had 3 spectacular games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I have to agree! Thanks Stirfry



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MesaCougFan
hawkwing wrote:
Love reading it.


Thanks Hawk!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.