cougarapologist wrote:
UCLA found a scheme that worked. For many of their run plays in the 4th quarter, they put 4 wideouts in the pattern. That forced us into a nickel package. So now we are playing with only 6 in the box. If their line each get one man, then its a one-on-one (at best) for us against their backs. As usual when we play a Power 5 team, only in a minority of the matchups do we win one-on-one. In this case, UCLA has really good backs. They also have a pretty good O Line that was firing off well.
So you have to take your hat off to the UCLA coaches for finding a scheme that put their best players (the backs) in a favorable situation. We can probably expect Michigan to look at running at us from the 4-wide set next week.
I feel confident that Bronco can come up with a way to counter this.
I think this is spot on. And while i am reticent to criticize the D or Bronco at all. I think that his aggrssive and creative scheming was out-schemed and out-executed, maybe even out-athleticized in that fourth quarter. Credit UCLA. I told my friend during the 3rd Q that UCLA should bag the pass and RUN! it ended up killing us.
But to the original OP opinion. By that same lagic, our O went home on the 25 yard line. And our Dr Bob gave up on the daggar that could have put UCLA away. Instead we settled for a field goal. So, bad logic, bent on blaming by the OP. Kind of an afront to the D as well.
There hasnt been a peep about BK. I surely hope he is ok. People who have inluded Travis T as our "best player" on D, do BK a disservice. But together, TT and BK present real problems for an Oline. And the others fill in/compliment nicely.