Archived Topic

Trivial Question about college FB helmets

by EM_Puma · 9/19/2015

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I was watching Ohio State vs. NIU game and I saw that both teams seem to have a small paragraph on the back of their helmets on the right side. Anyone know what these are?



Are they like disclaimer messages about the helmet does not save against concussions, etc.? I did some Google search and I seen other helmets that also have a small paragraph of words, but I can't see what it says. I noticed that it is something more recent because there are a lot of former college FB helmets that don't have this feature.
S
Schmoe
It's probably all the NOCSAE certification stuff.
U
urroner
Schmoe wrote:
It's probably all the NOCSAE certification stuff.


NOCSAE -National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment
C
CAFB_04-12
Along those lines, why do the BYU helmets have some sort of octagon cutout on the front? Almost looks like a break-away piece, or a crumple zone or something.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tanner+Mangum+Boise+State+v+BYU+NbfgkReMJArl.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Along those lines, why do the BYU helmets have some sort of octagon cutout on the front? Almost looks like a break-away piece, or a crumple zone or something.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tanner+Mangum+Boise+State+v+BYU+NbfgkReMJArl.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




My understanding is that piece and the helmet will absorb the blow and flex and should in theory flex to the point of breaking befor transferring the force of the hit to the players head.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Yeah, I notice like it seems the majority of the teams have that type of helmet, but not all.
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:
Yeah, I notice like it seems the majority of the teams have that type of helmet, but not all.


I heard Wrubell say that this is the first year every BYU player has one of these. In the past some players have had them while others haven't. They are becoming more common at schools but apparently are expensive.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.