Archived Topic

Its not luck

by Yzzazz · 9/18/2015

Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
I want to address something here on the forum that is widespread in the media as well as here: that BYU got lucky, and is just two LUCKY plays away from being 0-2. It is this thinking, and the interpretation of stats that go along with this thinking, that gives BYU only a 16% chance at beating UCLA tomorrow.



I understand why it seems that way, but I believe the reality is quite different. If anything, BYU might be highly UNLUCKY, and should have won those games going away. When you ponder on that and the fact that the Hail Mary's weren't so terribly unlucky as you might think, then you begin to realize BYU has a realistic chance at winning on Saturday.



Consider the following situations:



1. Taysom breaks his foot.



Do you think that if Taysom Hill's foot stayed healthy that Nebraska would have come back? I doubt it because those two touchdowns they made were greatly aided by our offense's ability to stay on the field. If Taysom stays in the game, BYU sustains drives, and maintains the lead. Instead of a Hail Mary, we'd be in victory formation at the end of the game. What was UNlucky was that we had to resort to the Hail Mary because we had an RM Freshman who hadn't even gotten rid of all his "mission fat" yet.



2. The missed PI call.



Now generally speaking I thought the officiating in game 2 was not a major factor in the game and was handled well. However there was an important and glaring error which could have cost BYU the game if they hadn't evened it out.



I'm speaking of Blackmon's PI call. If Blackmon doesn't tear away the DBs arm, then the DB is interfering. The ref misses the initial infraction by the BSU defender and flags Blackmon, nullifying what would have been the highlight reel play instead of a Hail Mary at the end of the game. Talk about getting UNlucky!



IF Blackmon makes that play, the rest of the game changes. More time on the clock means different play calls which means potentially higher probability options available than a hail mary at the end of the game.



Admittedly BSU player's penalties and the refs willingness to call them worked in BYUs favor, but none of that should have been needed if Blackmon hadn't been UNlucky in the first place.



There are more examples if this in the first half, but they are less obvious and this play is sufficient as a symbol for all of them.



BYU managed to overcome BOTH of those bad luck situations, and go on to win the game. How did they do that? Not by chance.



I subscribe to this definition of luck (and I think it is especially applicable to BYU's first two games): "Luck is where preparedness meets opportunity."



If that maxim had no application here, the BYU wins the game by blind chance. The back to back wins on such plays are, at best, a 1-in-100 scenario (that's not a rhetorical estimation btw, but rather a studied number: http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2012/09/hail-mary-probabilities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )



But here's another way to look at BYU's acheivements: could have done so much better--should have really.



First off, the final pass plays in the last two games were probably no worse than 30% completion probabilities, and in fact may even be closer to 50%.



Consider this link which documents the pass completion rates of top NFL QBs:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/9/4/3291805/lies-damn-lies-and-statistics-dont-trust-the-deep-ball-passing-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Which shows an average of 32% completion rate for 40+ yard passes. The BSU toss wasn't 40, it was 35, and it wasn't pro, it was college, where the numbers get even better.



This link about stats for College players...

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/2/28/4036850/adjusted-completion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



...shows the percentage of completions for a throw like Tanner's to be as high as 35%. When you add in the fact that BSU defenders were actually a bit out of place, you realize that Tanner wasn't choosing a low-probability option. His man would have a one on one shot and Tanner knows how to get the air under the ball.



Sure that play was unusual, and nobody expected it to be the go-to play, but in the end, at the time Tanner responded to the opportunity, there was actually a lot better chance for that completion than you might have imagined. Consider that a 40-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers, a QB who knows what he is doing, has an astounding 52% chance of completion! Could it be that Tanner's long-ball passing to tall and skilled targets should actually be expected to yield a higher percentage than 50-50?



If you look at the projected numbers here, even though BYU was the underdog per Vegas,

this website's advanced stats page projected byu to win by 11.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/9/15/9334095/byu-boise-state-football-score-stats-recap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The cougars under achieved!



The reality of both games was a stingy, run defense. They did that against two teams both expected to dominate on the ground. WIth a healthy Taysom, or a more experienced Tanner, the offense could have, and should have, been even more productive than they were.



This is of course, of no consequence should BYU lose, but the oddsmakers are betting that 1. Tanner will not improve, and

2. BYU's defensive play was unsustainable against UCLA.

both of which appear to be faulty assumptions if you simply look a bit closer.



All told, I'd very unscientifically guestimate that the odds of BYU winning this game are not as low as 16%, but they might be no better than 48%.



As a starting point, I'll take it. Because each drive BYU's defense stops dead, will increase those odds along the way. :crazy:
M
MesaCougFan
I like your analysis. It kind of bugs me the arrogance that seems to be coming from UCLA. They haven't really proven anything yet. Would they have beaten Nebraska in Lincoln? Would they have beaten Boise State?



I haven't been optimistic about this game going back to pre-season projections, but I'm more optimistic every day. I love that BYU has found ways to win games that the experts didn't think they should have. I haven't gotten to the place where I think BYU beats UCLA at the Rose Bowl, but 17 points is just too many. This is a 1 score game either way.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
I've been shouting from the housetops since Hail Mary 2 happened that it wasn't a "hail mary". Mangum looked for his 1st down conversion option and when it was covered he looked at option #2 which was Mitch Jeurgens who had broke off his original route and ran a post to the end zone. Mangum threw the ball to the spot in the end zone where his receiver would have the best chance to make a play on the ball and Bam, we win the game. I've watched the replays over and over and there is no question in my mind that Tanner was NOT throwing the ball up for grabs.
G
Gunk
I am all for UCLA thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. And, I have no problem with the pundits calling BYU lucky. Gives our guys motivation to prove them all wrong.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I'm with you on this one as well. The first game we did win on a "Hail Mary". No doubt about it, but two big issues. One, we were ahead at half time by 10 points. That says something. Two, we were in position that even a field goal would have won the game. This after losing our starting QB.



I went to the BSU game, but I finally watched the recording of it last night. Yeah we got down by 10 points, but BSU was hardly blowing us away and with 10:22 left in the game we were only down 3 points.



Yet the media acts like these wins were sheer miracles. KSL's Dave Noriega's spindly article, " Cougars looking for fairy tale to continue at UCLA" was an insult and the guy ought to stop at Disneyland on his road-trip down to Pasadena so he can satisfy his own fairy tale brain.
Advertisement
B
blue42
I have been lurking in a couple UCLA boards and they are very arrogant and calling BYU very dirty players and old men playing against boys. LOL first time we have ever heard that right! I think two things are really going to upset UCLA fans on Saturday. 1- BYU wins the game and 2- how many BYU fans will be there!
S
stuckinbig10country
Nebraska didn't score a point after Taysom left the game for good, so the offense had a hard time scoring after half time. But the rest of your point is true.
R
redneckjedi
This whole dirty players thing is ridiculous. We had a brawl started by the thugs on the other team, an unfortunate injury to a Nebraska tight end when our DB was trying to get down to avoid the high collision on a defenseless player, and was not flagged, and an emotional reaction by an offensive lineman to an obviously late hit.



On that last one: if the initial late hit is called, we're not in 4th-and-51. We have 1st and 10, and the last Boise TD likely never happens. They don't get a short field, and we have an opportunity to, at the very least, change the field position way in our favor. The simple fact is, we had two critical things go against us in that game, and we still overcame them. That's what good teams do. And we had a critical pair of injuries in the first game, and overcame those, as well. That's what great teams do.
B
BYULV
there's a roundtable of experts on ESPN showing their arrogance as well, each of them picking UCLA to blow out BYU, saying we can't even match up with a team like UCLA. I want so bad to demolish these guys. Isn't this the same stuff we were hearing before we blew them out 59-0?
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Nebraska didn't score a point after Taysom left the game for good, so the offense had a hard time scoring after half time. But the rest of your point is true.


This is true. However, after halftime you could tell that it was not the same Taysom on the field. You could see in his face that something was wrong and it's something I commented on while watching the game live before we knew about the lisfranc sprain. You could see the frustration in his face. Taysom was not 100% after that injury occurred, and had he been the 3rd quarter would've gone quite differently. I even wager that without the injury, that Taysom doesn't throw the pick that turned the momentum in the second half.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.