Archived Topic

"4 for 40" - Boise State at LES

by MesaCougFan · 9/14/2015

Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
Leaving Mesa-



I dropped the littles off at school and loaded up the car for a road trip.
Gage.jpg
I decided to bring my newly 16 yr. old son whose last game at LES was the Friday night comeback vs. USU the night before I took him to his first Priesthood Session in the conference center 4 years ago. I also brought a buddy (Cougar fan) from the ward and his brother (BSU grad and fan).



On the way up the mountain we started to have some car trouble. I have three regrets in life 1. Didn't get my Eagle 2. Can't play the piano & 3. Don't know how to work on cars. The transmission was acting funny, and when we stopped in Flagstaff the motor was making strange noises. After an hour or so delay, we left the car in Flagstaff and resumed our journey in a rental car.



It was an enjoyable trip. We discussed potential outcomes and the strengths and weaknesses of both teams. My BSU guest played DJ on the iPod, and shared an extensive music library of classics. We arrived in Provo after 11:00 pm Friday night.



Saturday

We woke up early Saturday morning, and headed over to American Fork Jr. High School to watch the 12U United play to a 2-2 tie against a white team whose lone girl knocked in the game tieing goal in extra minutes. My nephew was the United goalie, and he was a little sour after the game.



From there we met up with my sister & BIL for some rapelling up American Fork canyon. What a busy place on a Saturday. We had to improvise, but we found a spot.


Rapelling 2.jpg
C
Cougs_Rule
Dude, let's see if you have anything to do with the Mangum magic. What an epic start to your four game foray. If by some additional miracles BYU were to come out 4-0, you would have to keep attending all games this season until BYU loses.
M
MesaCougFan
American Fork Hospital Cafeteria



After working up a hunger, we headed over to American Fork Hospital Cafeteria for Double Cheeseburgers. My BIL's vouched that the food was very good and very affordable. As you can tell by my pictures, I like to eat so I was game. I was not disappointed. The food was good, and even after a recent price hike two 2X Cheeseburger meals and Boston Cream Pie for $14. That aint bad!


Cafeteria.jpg
Hallway.jpg
AF Hospital.jpg
M
MesaCougFan
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Dude, let's see if you have anything to do with the Mangum magic. What an epic start to your four game foray. If by some additional miracles BYU were to come out 4-0, you would have to keep attending all games this season until BYU loses.


I'm beginning to wonder if I am contributing to the magic! My son too!
M
MesaCougFan
Lavell Edwards Stadium



We parked on University facing North, about a 15 minute walk to the stadium. I stopped every BSU fan that I could see and said "Welcome to Provo, we're glad you're here. We hope you have fun tonight.....but not too much fun!"


LES.jpg

White Out.jpg

When we got inside we met up with my third BIL & his wife. They came kind of last minute and it was great to see them. They were out from Michigan dropping off their daughter at BYUI, and came down for the game.


Front Row- Gage, Jeff, Amy, Amanda Back Row- Sterling, Me, Ryan, Jeff.jpg
Advertisement
G
Guest
Great stories and pictures! Can't wait to enjoy all 4 for 40!
M
MesaCougFan
The Game!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62SjSV4iDo8



What a start! 3rd & 19 and MJ catches that ball and runs right at me in that corner. Lots of good thing happened all game in that corner (Coincidentally it was the same corner of the stadium that MM pulled in the Hail Mary last week. Coincidence? Maybe, but I think not) 84 yard touchdown! Tanner Mangum's persona continues to grow. The stadium was rocking!



3rd & 19 was our number. There were many 3rd & 19 instances during the game that turned out positively for the Cougs! Keep an eye on that throughout the season.



MWC Officiating



I was not impressed. I'm usually not the kind of guy to harp on the officials, but there were some terrible calls made that went against the Cougs. Blackmon's one handed grab! (same corner) Amazing! It should have a post of it's own. That was one of the most incredibly athletic / skillful catches that I have ever seen, and it happened right in front of me! I re-watched the game on TV and saw nothing that warranted a PI call on Blackmon.



Kurtz was a non-factor, but I thought he caught that ball on the sideline for a first down and then fumbled it.



Tool



I am embarassed and ashamed to be associated with the classless idiot that sat behind me. He had many opinions that I shared, but those opinions are the such that you don't need to share out loud. I put my headphones in my ears to dround out the sound of his voice. He literally complained about something on every play guessing the wrong play call, wrongly analyzing the outcome of each play. Had I had the option to move, I would have. Then he starts picking on the lone BSU fan that was sitting within the sound of his voice. This BSU fan happened to be my guest. He started referring to him as "Tubby", an obvious reference to his stature. My guest could only take so much, before he stood up and offered to take it outside. The tool wasn't nearly as tough as he was acting, and coward back his offense. It took everything I had not to turn around and put my fist in his mouth. Shame on him. He was definitely the black eye on my game day experience.



White Out!



Well done fans! The stadium looked great. Check out the pics.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUsNzxY4_c&feature=youtu.be


Pre-Game.jpg

4th Qtr!


Taysom Tribute.jpg

This was incredible! Well played BYU! Classy! I wish that I had known about it before hand, and I wish that I had a Taysom sign! How cool is that?



The 4th qtr. was our quarter. Everything started coming together for us. Hine started breaking through. I had faith!



Then this happened:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnsVuuTQ73E



What a fourth quarter! What a win.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwmjVwCgB6c



Way to make an impact Nacua (what brawl?) The team played great, and I am so happy that I was able to share in it on my second stop of my "4 for 40"!



On our way out I stopped as many BSU fans as I could find and said "Thank you for coming to Provo. Great game!. I'm glad that you were here!"



How are they gonna one up this next week in Los Angeles?
M
MesaCougFan
hawkwing wrote:
Great stories and pictures! Can't wait to enjoy all 4 for 40!


Thanks Hawk! If they win all four, my BIL is starting a Go Fund Me to make sure I can make it to all the games this year! JK
G
Guest
MesaCougFan wrote:
Great stories and pictures! Can't wait to enjoy all 4 for 40!


Thanks Hawk! If they win all four, my BIL is starting a Go Fund Me to make sure I can make it to all the games this year! JK


Looks like you were a few rows down from where I sit. (Hopefully I wasn't the bad fan near by! Of course I'd never say anything rude to a visiting fan, so likely wasn't.)
M
MesaCougFan
Another tidbit of information: My BIL who took us rapelling (Black hat in AF hospital pictures) played football at Provo high way back when with Kyle Wittingham. He tells me that KW was just as much of a (insert your most derogatory expression here), as he is now!
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Great stories and pictures! Can't wait to enjoy all 4 for 40!


Thanks Hawk! If they win all four, my BIL is starting a Go Fund Me to make sure I can make it to all the games this year! JK


Looks like you were a few rows down from where I sit. (Hopefully I wasn't the bad fan near by! Of course I'd never say anything rude to a visiting fan, so likely wasn't.)


I was Y 47 24 15. I was sitting 25 16 ish
G
Guest
MesaCougFan wrote:
MesaCougFan wrote:
Great stories and pictures! Can't wait to enjoy all 4 for 40!


Thanks Hawk! If they win all four, my BIL is starting a Go Fund Me to make sure I can make it to all the games this year! JK


Looks like you were a few rows down from where I sit. (Hopefully I wasn't the bad fan near by! Of course I'd never say anything rude to a visiting fan, so likely wasn't.)


I was Y 47 24 15. I was sitting 25 16 ish


Yeah, I was about 15 - 20 rows above you.
M
MesaCougFan
I added a couple of video links
H
HoosierCougar
MesaCougFan wrote:
Tool



I am embarassed and ashamed to be associated with the classless idiot that sat behind me. He had many opinions that I shared, but those opinions are the such that you don't need to share out loud. I put my headphones in my ears to dround out the sound of his voice. He literally complained about something on every play guessing the wrong play call, wrongly analyzing the outcome of each play. Had I had the option to move, I would have. Then he starts picking on the lone BSU fan that was sitting within the sound of his voice. This BSU fan happened to be my guest. He started referring to him as "Tubby", an obvious reference to his stature. My guest could only take so much, before he stood up and offered to take it outside. The tool wasn't nearly as tough as he was acting, and coward back his offense. It took everything I had not to turn around and put my fist in his mouth. Shame on him. He was definitely the black eye on my game day experience.




This makes me sad... we can do so much better than this. No need to be mean or berate the opposing fans that come to the game (or offer in-came coaching suggestions, for that matter... if he's such a great coach, there are opportunities for him to hone his skills :sick: ). You can be ardent in your fandom and nice to the visitors at the same time (see: Nebraska experience).



Maybe we need a primer in how to treat others. And when I've been near Cougar fans who get out of line in LES, I simply look at them and tell them "We don't treat people like that here." I've never had a BYU fan get after me for reminding them of that.
M
MesaCougFan
So this is what I missed while I was making stop #2 on my "4 for 40"



https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=87&v=YdIpIVO-SFY



My 5 yr. old playing his first ever soccer game scores 4 goals, two in the first minute!



My wife also was stung by a scorpion for the first time ever!
Advertisement
G
Guest
a lot of firsts!
M
MesaCougFan
hawkwing wrote:
a lot of firsts!


First time at the Rose Bowl coming this weekend!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MesaCougFan
HoosierCougar wrote:
Tool



I am embarassed and ashamed to be associated with the classless idiot that sat behind me. He had many opinions that I shared, but those opinions are the such that you don't need to share out loud. I put my headphones in my ears to dround out the sound of his voice. He literally complained about something on every play guessing the wrong play call, wrongly analyzing the outcome of each play. Had I had the option to move, I would have. Then he starts picking on the lone BSU fan that was sitting within the sound of his voice. This BSU fan happened to be my guest. He started referring to him as "Tubby", an obvious reference to his stature. My guest could only take so much, before he stood up and offered to take it outside. The tool wasn't nearly as tough as he was acting, and coward back his offense. It took everything I had not to turn around and put my fist in his mouth. Shame on him. He was definitely the black eye on my game day experience.



This makes me sad... we can do so much better than this. No need to be mean or berate the opposing fans that come to the game (or offer in-came coaching suggestions, for that matter... if he's such a great coach, there are opportunities for him to hone his skills :sick: ). You can be ardent in your fandom and nice to the visitors at the same time (see: Nebraska experience).



Maybe we need a primer in how to treat others. And when I've been near Cougar fans who get out of line in LES, I simply look at them and tell them "We don't treat people like that here." I've never had a BYU fan get after me for reminding them of that.




The guy sitting behind me wasn't representative of the majority of fans. In fact many were apologetic and welcoming to my guest. I am grateful for that. It's just too bad that that guy had such a negative effect on my game experience.
F
Fido
Thanks for sharing your experience--both the positive and negative. Looks like a blast!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.