Archived Topic

Just watched the BYU vs Nebraska game again

by frdbtr · 9/12/2015

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I decided to watch the game again on watch espn.com. Being able to watch the game knowing the outcome removed emotion so I was able to watch objectively. Couple of things I noticed. First, is Taysom Hill was not himself after the injury. He didn't have the normal explosiveness and it affected his running and throwing. Nebraska played good defense after the Hill interception and that was a big reason why BYU's offense struggled. Finally, Mangum's play was not a fluke. The kid looked poised and has great field awareness. He was going where the ball needed to go. His reads were really good and this is a guy with no game experience. Nebraska was throwing all kinds of stuff at him trying to confuse him and he kept beating them. I'm not saying he is not going to struggle at times this year but his play was not a fluke.
U
Ungoy
Agreed wholeheartedly. I could tell that in the 3rd quarter, Taysom didn't just not look like himself, but he was visibly frustrated. Knowing the context of the injury and such, I know why he was now. His whole demeanor changed completely after that injury.



I too was very impressed with Mangum. He was very poised. His play was not a fluke. The 4th and 1 bomb to Kurtz was reminiscent of Hall to Collie on 4th and 18. Mangum has that same kind of moxie that he doesn't fear the hit. He got laid out after that throw to Kurtz.



The hail mary was also fantastic play on Mangum's part as well. If you've watched this week's Inside BYU, it was executed exactly as they drew the play up. Even if it wasn't Tanner's best throw, it went exactly where it was supposed to go.
U
UCChris
I'm thinking that I wouldn't have the nerves to throw the ball where it needed to go, much less a tight spiral. I'm just glad he has the poise to get it where it needs to go.



I was pretty dang impressed with how he kept his head in the game. I've noticed that when a backup/new QB gets put in, they run running plays for a little while. I believe that the second play that Mangum was in was a pass play.



I'm excited to see this kid play tonight!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.