Archived Topic

Would it make any sense for Taysom to come back?

by KingCoug · 9/11/2015

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
I mean, would it make sense for BYU?



If it was a case of Mangum only playing a few games before Taysom came back, that would be one thing. But Mangum is our guy the rest of the year. And the years following. It wouldn't make much sense to play him all year and then bench him for Taysom next year, especially when I think it's a virtual certainty that Taysom would get injured again at some point. He just can't stay healthy.



I have no illusions that we may be in for some growing pains with Mangum. But he shows a lot of promise and the experience he gets now should pay off big in following years. All due respect to Taysom for everything he's done, and I wish him the best, but at this point Mangum is both the present and the future.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
What if Mangum doesn't work out?



What if Mangum gets injured?
C
Cougarfan87
Unless Tanner toltally sucks, I agree that I don't think you can bench him next year. It sounds totally ungrateful to say that since Taysom is such a stud and great guy, but it is what it is. You have to move on at some point for the good of the program.
J
jbluesuu
I think this might be a matter of unfinished business for Taysom. If I were in his shoes I would try to come back. Maybe he is not like me, but maybe he is. I see this as a matter of not leaving anything on the table. If he can recover physically and he has the desire to come back, he should come back. all the other stuff can be figured out when we get there.
B
Brayden Green
Not to BYU. If he comes back to football he'll go to Michigan with Harbaugh, and I would cheer heartily for him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
Taysom is very keen on getting an excellent education. He's smart enough to know his shot at the NFL has been greatly diminished and that football is no longer his future. The undergrad finance program at BYU is exceptional but an opportunity to add Michigan post-grad to his resume WHILE playing football AND playing for Harbaugh--yeah, I'd be surprised if he didn't go that route.
I
imuakahuku
Of course it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want the best player in college football to come back? His injury is a freak injury. Next year we could use that best player. My suggestion would be to prep both of them and give TM every third drive to keep his progressing going while TH totally dismantles the teams on his drives. And if they both do then even better. I think it could work because of the character of the two players.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
imuakahuku wrote:
Of course it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want the best player in college football to come back? His injury is a freak injury. Next year we could use that best player. My suggestion would be to prep both of them and give TM every third drive to keep his progressing going while TH totally dismantles the teams on his drives. And if they both do then even better. I think it could work because of the character of the two players.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




A freak injury? He's been injured 3 straight years on a row. That's called a pattern. Nothing freak about it.



And assuming Mangum does well, it would be counterproductive to play him all year and then either bench him or switch him and Taysom out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
This topic not only strikes me as premature, but as inappropriate. This topic is a bridge that will be crossed by Taysom and Bronco when they get there. Right now, Taysom is focused on recovering physically and Bronco is focused on winning games. This decision will happen sometime in 2016. I would love to see Taysom come back. He's the most exciting QB I have seen play in a long time. I would love to see Taysom prove the naysayers wrong.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Ddawg wrote:
This topic not only strikes me as premature, but as inappropriate. This topic is a bridge that will be crossed by Taysom and Bronco when they get there. Right now, Taysom is focused on recovering physically and Bronco is focused on winning games. This decision will happen sometime in 2016. I would love to see Taysom come back. He's the most exciting QB I have seen play in a long time. I would love to see Taysom prove the naysayers wrong.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Totally agree. Tanner has a lot to prove. He's thrown 11 passes and had one of them change the course of 2 teams football seasons (so far).



If Taysom wants to come back I'm all for it. Weren't we talking heisman candidate just over one week ago? Who doesn't want that on his team



Michigan? were did these rumors come from? I doubt Hill has put much though into transferring already. A lot of people were saying that a healthy Hill was going to get us 10 wins, even with this brutal schedule. But fans seem to be plenty willing to ship him off as soon as possible and coronate Mangum as the starter for the next 4 years. I don't get it.



And yes, the injuries were more coincident than a pattern. No one is able to confidently say whether Hill could play all next year or get injured again at this point. No injury has been related to the other as far as we know. Tanner could be just as injury prone.
Advertisement
U
urroner
If my memory serves me well, and it typically doesn't, Marc Wilson was an awesome qb, got injured and McMahon stepped in and did awesome for the rest of the year. He blew away the other team, I believe it was Arizona or Arizona State, first game. In the next Daily Universe, there was a cartoon of McMahon kicking open the swinging doors on a saloon and saying "There's a new sheriff in town." The BYU studentbody went McMahon crazy.



Next year, Coach Edwards had a problem, whom to start, Wilson or McMahon.



McMahon was gracious enough to wait that year while Wilson was awesome and then the next year, he kicked a$$.



Taysom, Hill, and Bronco will work it out.
D
Ddawg
urroner wrote:

Taysom, Hill, and Bronco will work it out.


Exactly. I suspect TH and Bronco will have a private, secure dinner in 2016 ( March - April?) somewhere on Bronco's dime and this topic will be discussed.



Other than that - Go Cougs!
V
vancouvercougar
urroner wrote:
If my memory serves me well, and it typically doesn't, Marc Wilson was an awesome qb, got injured and McMahon stepped in and did awesome for the rest of the year. He blew away the other team, I believe it was Arizona or Arizona State, first game. In the next Daily Universe, there was a cartoon of McMahon kicking open the swinging doors on a saloon and saying "There's a new sheriff in town." The BYU studentbody went McMahon crazy.



Next year, Coach Edwards had a problem, whom to start, Wilson or McMahon.



McMahon was gracious enough to wait that year while Wilson was awesome and then the next year, he kicked a$$.



Taysom, Hill, and Bronco will work it out.


I don't remember McMahon being gracious. It did all work out though, and it can again.
S
scott715
I heard that there will be something to honor TH at the game today. Go if you can.
S
Schmoe
At this point, we absolutely would love to have Taysom back. However, if TM improves through the season like we all hope he does, then it might be a more difficult decision.
Advertisement
S
scott715
The student body #4 at the start of the 4th quarter was huge. We won the quarter 21-0.



Also a generation of Cougar fans were created by this game. Student attendance at this years games will be huge.
H
hamaca
Yes, but not as starting QB if Tanner is doing well. Taysom could have a unique role developed for him that takes advantage of his strengths, yet doesn't make him an every-down risk for injury.



Imagine the flexibility and opportunities for trick plays with both of these guys in the game at the same time. Various option plays could be created that would keep defenses guessing, with Taysom lining up in the backfield, as a receiver, going in motion, laterals with option to run or throw, etc.



Then if Tanner ever happens to get injured, coaches have an additional backup option.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.