Archived Topic

Bold Predictions for 2015

by StatsCougar · 9/4/2015

Advertisement
S
StatsCougar
I've been thinking a lot about the coming season. I feel that there is a large portion of Cougar Nation that is falling on the pessimistic side of the is the glass half full question (or is the season half full as the case may be). This is with good reason given the past couple of seasons, but I can't but feel that BYU will do better this year then they have in the past years. I get the feeling that this could be a very special season and it will end up being one to remember.



As the season kicks off tomorrow, I figured I would get some bold prediction off my chest and on the record for this year.



1. BYU will have at least one Texas type game this year against a P-5 team. (I.E they will dominate a suppose better team.)



2. BYU will have at least one player in the discussion for a national award in November.



3. Taysom will play in the Bowl Game this year( or maybe early next year. ;) )



4. BYU will be 3-1 or better at the end of the month.



5. The Defense will end in at least category in the Top 5 in the nation.



Tomorrow can't come soon enough and we'll see if I have any skill in prophesy.
V
vancouvercougar
StatsCougar wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about the coming season. I feel that there is a large portion of Cougar Nation that is falling on the pessimistic side of the is the glass half full question (or is the season half full as the case may be). This is with good reason given the past couple of seasons, but I can't but feel that BYU will do better this year then they have in the past years. I get the feeling that this could be a very special season and it will end up being one to remember.



As the season kicks off tomorrow, I figured I would get some bold prediction off my chest and on the record for this year.



1. BYU will have at least one Texas type game this year against a P-5 team. (I.E they will dominate a suppose better team.)



2. BYU will have at least one player in the discussion for a national award in November.



3. Taysom will play in the Bowl Game this year( or maybe early next year. ;) )



4. BYU will be 3-1 or better at the end of the month.



5. The Defense will end in at least category in the Top 5 in the nation.



Tomorrow can't come soon enough and we'll see if I have any skill in prophesy.


I like what Blaine Fowler said on BYUtv this week. He likes the O line this year. The improvement of the O line will go a long way to making your predictions and our wishes come true.
J
jbluesuu
This is what I posted earlier that I think fits in this thread:

I don't post a ton on here but I thought I would share my thoughts and predictions for this season. I think we are poised for a good season. I think some of the positions on the team are only average. Some positions are good and some are elite.

Scale : terrible-bad-below average-ok-good-very good-elite

Terrible being <10 percentile. Elite>90 percentile. (Of FBS teams)

Our offensive line will be ok but not good.

Our receivers will be good to very good.

Our running backs will be ok.

Defensive line will be very good

Linebackers will be good.

DBs will be not very good to ok.

QB will be elite.

Special teams will be average.



All that being said I predict Taysom Hill will stay healthy and BYU will go 10-3. I don't know the other teams well enough to say who BYU will lose to. This is the analysis of a casual fan without any insider info. I'd like to hear the analysis of the experts on this board. Fire away.
S
SpiffCoug
My analysis is that if Taysom stays healthy, 10-3 is extremely doable.
F
frdbtr
My bold prediction is that the defense averages giving up less than 20pts per game. BYU loses only 1 game. (either UCLA or Missouri).
Advertisement
S
Screamineagle
Ok I waited all off season and was not going to buy the hype struggled and fought against it. But here we are on the eve of the first game and I cant resist. I am sold until I see otherwise.Go Cougs.
S
Screamineagle
Screamineagle wrote:
Ok I waited all off season and was not going to buy the hype struggled and fought against it. But here we are on the eve of the first game and I cant resist. I am sold until I see otherwise.Go Cougs.

My bold prediction 10-3 is doable.We are not going to lose any games that we should win and will win a game or two that we shouldn't.
G
Gunk
We go undefeated! There, I said it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
Sorry this is so long. I don't post that often, but I thought that the brighter side of things deserved some observation. I won't be quoting any hard stats, although I have read many of such in reaching some conclusions.



I some what agree with the OP, but wouldn't bet money on ALL of the predictions. However, I do expect BYU to be 3-1 after September, with the one loss coming from UCLA. I still think that we've got a decent chance to beat the Bruins, and would not bet money against the Cougs, even in that one. I think BYU also takes Mizzou and Matty Mauk in November, assuming no injury to Taysom, or three or more other key starters. Not worried about USU at all in game 12, assuming the same reasonable luck with injuries.



Taysom is not "fragile," as has been claimed by Utes and opponents' fans. He might be fragile in their dreams. The guy is a bull. His knee is solid, as has been show through all of 2013 and 4 games of pounding it in 2014. I'm not worried about his ankle at this point, either. The previous injuries were freak accidents, the ankle especially (quite similar in mechanism to what happened to Luke Staley against Miss St in 2001). I would call Taydom's risk to be lower than that of any other QB that runs as much as he does.



Why am I so optimistic? Here are the reasons: BYU has an experienced OL that will be better than last year. Not only is Bronco back on defensive duties (this is a huge deal), but he has a very deep front seven on D. The secondary is experienced at the top, and won't have to be so stellar when backing up this front seven. Add to that, a deep group of out-standing receivers, a stable of very effective RB's, and clearly the best QB in the nation. Yeah, Hill is all that. None of of the others are the freak that Hill is. I wouldn't trade him for any of those rated above him. Popularity of programs, politics, and size of viewing audiences are the only reason that Taysom is not recognized as being beyond any other. You can bet that if he were at ND, Florida, Ohio St., or Alabama, that he would be labeled as number one, with no Questions asked. Hill is frequently compared with Lake Locker, as a QB that is dual threat, but primarily runs. However, Hill is faster than locker without giving up anything in terms of size, power or agility. Hill also was passing at a rate in 2014 that was good enough for most primarily passing prototypes. He continues to look that way in fall camp. Even if Taysom were to be lost to injury, in say, the Michigan game, and that game also is lost, I believe that Tanner Mangum can win for BYU through October, while developing the Div I confidence to take on Missouri by November. Tanner is awesome good, and can scramble well enough to be evasive in the backfield. I say this because I keep seeing posts on opponent forums boasting that all they have to do to win is to take Taysom out, or at least bottle him up. No one can "bottle up" his screens and slants while Hill is scrambling out of the pocket. To bottle up his running, they will have to over-commit to the box, and they'll get burned.



Regarding the multiple 8-5 seasons, I say that the glass is much more than half full. BYU was very close to break-out seasons during Riley Nelson years and Taysom years, but then we had Riley's back injuries and Taysom's injuries. So, things were good, if not great, without key personnel. I too, have grown weary, and feel annoyed with the negativity and pessimism being spoken by those who profess to be BYU fans. Perhaps their usage of the term, "fan" requires re-definition.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
BOID wrote:
Sorry this is so long. I don't post that often, but I thought that the brighter side of things deserved some observation. I won't be quoting any hard stats, although I have read many of such in reaching some conclusions.



I some what agree with the OP, but wouldn't bet money on ALL of the predictions. However, I do expect BYU to be 3-1 after September, with the one loss coming from UCLA. I still think that we've got a decent chance to beat the Bruins, and would not bet money against the Cougs, even in that one. I think BYU also takes Mizzou and Matty Mauk in November, assuming no injury to Taysom, or three or more other key starters. Not worried about USU at all in game 12, assuming the same reasonable luck with injuries.



Taysom is not "fragile," as has been claimed by Utes and opponents' fans. He might be fragile in their dreams. The guy is a bull. His knee is solid, as has been shown through all of 2013 and 4 games of pounding it in 2014. I'm not worried about his ankle at this point, either. The previous injuries were freak accidents, the ankle especially (quite similar in mechanism to what happened to Luke Staley against Miss St in 2001). I would call Taydom's risk to be lower than that of any other QB that runs as much as he does.



Why am I so optimistic? Here are the reasons: BYU has an experienced OL that will be better than last year. Not only is Bronco back on defensive duties (this is a huge deal), but he has a very deep front seven on D. The secondary is experienced at the top, and won't have to be so stellar when backing up this front seven. Add to that, a deep group of out-standing receivers, a stable of very effective RB's, and clearly the best QB in the nation. Yeah, Hill is all that. None of of the others are the freak that Hill is. I wouldn't trade him for any of those rated above him. Popularity of programs, politics, and size of viewing audiences are the only reason that Taysom is not recognized as being beyond any other. You can bet that if he were at ND, Florida, Ohio St., or Alabama, that he would be labeled as number one, with no Questions asked. Hill is frequently compared with Lake Locker, as a QB that is dual threat, but primarily runs. However, Hill is faster than locker without giving up anything in terms of size, power or agility. Hill also was passing at a rate in 2014 that was good enough for most primarily passing prototypes. He continues to look that way in fall camp. Even if Taysom were to be lost to injury, in say, the Michigan game, and that game also is lost, I believe that Tanner Mangum can win for BYU through October, while developing the Div I confidence to take on Missouri by November. Tanner is awesome good, and can scramble well enough to be evasive in the backfield. I say this because I keep seeing posts on opponent forums boasting that all they have to do to win is to take Taysom out, or at least bottle him up. No one can "bottle up" his screens and slants while Hill is scrambling out of the pocket. To bottle up his running, they will have to over-commit to the box, and they'll get burned.



Regarding the multiple 8-5 seasons, I say that the glass is much more than half full. BYU was very close to break-out seasons during Riley Nelson years and Taysom years, but then we had Riley's back injuries and Taysom's injuries. So, things were good, if not great, without key personnel. I too, have grown weary, and feel annoyed with the negativity and pessimism being spoken by those who profess to be BYU fans. Perhaps their usage of the term, "fan" requires re-definition.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
We go undefeated! There, I said it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Glad someone said it.



Although, BSU making a case tonight that they will make going undefeated difficult.
B
BOID
BOID wrote:
Sorry this is so long. I don't post that often, but I thought that the brighter side of things deserved some observation. I won't be quoting any hard stats, although I have read many of such in reaching some conclusions.



I some what agree with the OP, but wouldn't bet money on ALL of the predictions. However, I do expect BYU to be 3-1 after September, with the one loss coming from UCLA. I still think that we've got a decent chance to beat the Bruins, and would not bet money against the Cougs, even in that one. I think BYU also takes Mizzou and Matty Mauk in November, assuming no injury to Taysom, or three or more other key starters. Not worried about USU at all in game 12, assuming the same reasonable luck with injuries.



Taysom is not "fragile," as has been claimed by Utes and opponents' fans. He might be fragile in their dreams. The guy is a bull. His knee is solid, as has been shown through all of 2013 and 4 games of pounding it in 2014. I'm not worried about his ankle at this point, either. The previous injuries were freak accidents, the ankle especially (quite similar in mechanism to what happened to Luke Staley against Miss St in 2001). I would call Taydom's risk to be lower than that of any other QB that runs as much as he does.



Why am I so optimistic? Here are the reasons: BYU has an experienced OL that will be better than last year. Not only is Bronco back on defensive duties (this is a huge deal), but he has a very deep front seven on D. The secondary is experienced at the top, and won't have to be so stellar when backing up this front seven. Add to that, a deep group of out-standing receivers, a stable of very effective RB's, and clearly the best QB in the nation. Yeah, Hill is all that. None of of the others are the freak that Hill is. I wouldn't trade him for any of those rated above him. Popularity of programs, politics, and size of viewing audiences are the only reason that Taysom is not recognized as being beyond any other. You can bet that if he were at ND, Florida, Ohio St., or Alabama, that he would be labeled as number one, with no Questions asked. Hill is frequently compared with Lake Locker, as a QB that is dual threat, but primarily runs. However, Hill is faster than locker without giving up anything in terms of size, power or agility. Hill also was passing at a rate in 2014 that was good enough for most primarily passing prototypes. He continues to look that way in fall camp. Even if Taysom were to be lost to injury, in say, the Michigan game, and that game also is lost, I believe that Tanner Mangum can win for BYU through October, while developing the Div I confidence to take on Missouri by November. Tanner is awesome good, and can scramble well enough to be evasive in the backfield. I say this because I keep seeing posts on opponent forums boasting that all they have to do to win is to take Taysom out, or at least bottle him up. No one can "bottle up" his screens and slants while Hill is scrambling out of the pocket. To bottle up his running, they will have to over-commit to the box, and they'll get burned.



Regarding the multiple 8-5 seasons, I say that the glass is much more than half full. BYU was very close to break-out seasons during Riley Nelson years and Taysom years, but then we had Riley's back injuries and Taysom's injuries. So, things were good, if not great, without key personnel. I too, have grown weary, and feel annoyed with the negativity and pessimism being spoken by those who profess to be BYU fans. Perhaps their usage of the term, "fan" requires re-definition.



Oh, yeah; my prediction: 11-1 regular season and NY6 bowl win. Won't be in FBP unless some luck brings an undefeated regular season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Gunk wrote:

We go undefeated! There, I said it.


Will you please send me a keg of what you're drinking. Whatever it is, Mongo likes it. Me want 'sum.

:D :D
B
BOID
Hey guys, sorry about the redundant posts. There used to be a delete option on the edit page, but I don't see it now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
What if we open against Nebraska in the same manner we throttled Texas? I will *just* *lose* *it*


It's always possible - for the Cougs to get creamed. But, I don't think so. I went to my trusty Vegas "latest line" sources. Those Vegas guys are smart with their money. Their favoring Nebraska by 7 pts. That's for home field. Basically, the Vegas line guru's are calling this game even - with home field advantage to Neb. I could easily see a Coug upset tomorrow. I give it a 50/50 chance. IMHO.
K
KingCoug
Reading your guys' posts, well, I guess hope springs eternal.



Don't get me wrong, I hope you're all right with the positive predictions but I go into this season with guarded scepticism. It's hard to ignore recent history. We've underperformed over the past 5 years. And, as we've seen the last 2 years, we're only one Taysom injury away from being in a world of hurt.



Also, if you look at the stats in my sig, Bronco doesn't exactly have the best record against Power 5 teams. He does well if he has a lot of time to prep (Oklahoma in 2009) or if the team is down (Texas recently), otherwise it's rough sledding with quality wins few and far between.



At least 8 wins seems likely. But, all things considered at this point, it takes a certain amount of blue Kool aid/goggles to predict something like a 10-3 season.



Hopefully I'm wrong.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
Reading your guys' posts, well, I guess hope springs eternal.



Don't get me wrong, I hope you're all right with the positive predictions but I go into this season with guarded scepticism. It's hard to ignore recent history. We've underperformed over the past 5 years. And, as we've seen the last 2 years, we're only one Taysom injury away from being in a world of hurt.



At least 8 wins seems likely. But, all things considered at this point, it takes a certain amount of blue Kool aid/goggles to predict something like a 10-3 season.



Hopefully I'm wrong.


the definition of "Bold" is that you predict something that is "Blue goggled". (unlikely to happen but possible). That is where the optimism is coming from. If you don't want to participate or get irritated by us being bold (the point of the thread) then don't participate.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
Reading your guys' posts, well, I guess hope springs eternal.



Don't get me wrong, I hope you're all right with the positive predictions but I go into this season with guarded scepticism. It's hard to ignore recent history. We've underperformed over the past 5 years. And, as we've seen the last 2 years, we're only one Taysom injury away from being in a world of hurt.



At least 8 wins seems likely. But, all things considered at this point, it takes a certain amount of blue Kool aid/goggles to predict something like a 10-3 season.



Hopefully I'm wrong.


the definition of "Bold" is that you predict something that is "Blue goggled". (unlikely to happen but possible). That is where the optimism is coming from. If you don't want to participate or get irritated by us being bold (the point of the thread) then don't participate.


We stun everyone by going 12-0, somehow get into the 4 team playoff, and win the national title.



Meanwhile, Kyle Whittingham, inspired by "Caitlan" Jenner, quits coaching to embark on his own journey to discover his inner woman, Utah implodes, and they finish 1-11. Oh, and Rice Eccles stadium is destroyed by a meteor.



How's that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Reading your guys' posts, well, I guess hope springs eternal.



Don't get me wrong, I hope you're all right with the positive predictions but I go into this season with guarded scepticism. It's hard to ignore recent history. We've underperformed over the past 5 years. And, as we've seen the last 2 years, we're only one Taysom injury away from being in a world of hurt.



At least 8 wins seems likely. But, all things considered at this point, it takes a certain amount of blue Kool aid/goggles to predict something like a 10-3 season.



Hopefully I'm wrong.


the definition of "Bold" is that you predict something that is "Blue goggled". (unlikely to happen but possible). That is where the optimism is coming from. If you don't want to participate or get irritated by us being bold (the point of the thread) then don't participate.


We stun everyone by going 12-0, somehow get into the 4 team playoff, and win the national title.



Meanwhile, Kyle Whittingham, inspired by "Caitlan" Jenner, quits coaching to embark on his own journey to discover his inner woman, Utah implodes, and they finish 1-11. Oh, and Rice Eccles stadium is destroyed by a meteor.



How's that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Best prediction yet!! :D :crazy:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.