Archived Topic

Internet Use on the Clock Poll (you can check up to three)

by Cougarfan87 · 8/14/2015

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
I work in a job where I do not control my own work flow (I review contract actions, answer questions, etc. as they come in). As such, there are days where I have very little actual work to do, yet I am still expected to be at work. I was wondering what your attitudes about surfing the web during work hours are. Please elaborate in your comments on what your actual work policy is. This is not meant to make you feel guilty (I am typing this from work right now). But I honestly wonder where the modern workforce is on this issue.



Our policy is that it is okay to check the internet during short breaks so you don't burn out, but you should put in a full day's work (which gets interesting for me when I don't have a full day of work to do). My attitude is an 8 hour work day is antiquated when what I am really being paid to do is complete tasks, not stand on a line and produce widgets. But I realize it is not antiquated for all jobs...just those with intermittent tasks. I hate the fact that I am chained to my desk even when there isn't much to do, but I am expected to be there. That has bled over to my attitude on internet use, which is if my work gets done, and gets done well, it does not matter how much I am on the web. Now you can all flame me if you think that is wrong, dishonest, deviant, etc. But that is my honest opinion.
S
scott715
I work at a community college as an instructor. I do not know of any policy. As long as my classes are going well and I am prepared, I can do what I want. Policy says I have to be on campus 6 hours a day but I am there much much more and I surf often. However I am there if a student needs something where the rest of my department is not especially in the afternoon.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.