Archived Topic

Book recommendation

by SpiffCoug · 8/10/2015

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I just finished The Martian on Audible. And I've got my next book credit coming up at the end of the week. Anyone got a good book recommendation?
D
Ddawg
The Revenant by Michael Punke



AN UNFORGETTABLE NOVEL OF REVENGE, SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE, STARRING LEONARDO DICAPRIO



The year is 1823, and the trappers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company live a brutal frontier life. Trapping beaver, they contend daily with the threat of Indian tribes turned warlike over the white men's encroachment on their land, and other prairie foes--like the unforgiving landscape and its creatures. Hugh Glass is among the Company's finest men, an experienced frontiersman and an expert tracker. But when a scouting mission puts him face-to-face with a grizzly bear, he is viciously mauled and not expected to survive.



http://us.macmillan.com/therevenant/michaelpunke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D
Ddawg
The Revenant.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfj1VCg16Y
M
Mars


I loved The Martian. His language greatly reflects my own.



I've gonna give Maze Runner a try next, while my sister is going to read Ready Player One and report back.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm just finishing up Dean Koontz' The City. I wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but - it turns out that Ilike it a lot
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire" is a great read about the Spartans and the Battle of Thermopylae.
S
snoscythe
ABYUFAN wrote:
I'm just finishing up Dean Koontz' The City. I wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but - it turns out that Ilike it a lot


aka source material for Frank Miller's "300"
S
Schmoe
Oh, also Kirinyaga by Mike Resnick is fascinating.
S
sage
SpiffCoug wrote:
I just finished The Martian on Audible. And I've got my next book credit coming up at the end of the week. Anyone got a good book recommendation?


Best fiction: Les Miz (abridged version)I've read both, abridged is much better

Best about life: Man's search for meaning (recommended in conference, so I read it and agree)

Best revelatory of misconceptions: Never cry wolf
M
Mars


Maze Runner wasn't very good. Nice idea, juvenile writing.



I've been told that Ready Player One is very good. Also, Moonwalking with Einstein. Those might be the next two on my list.



I love reading.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I went with Ready Player One. I'll let you know what I think.
B
BoiseBYU
It's a little older, but very very relevant, and given it is August, I highly recommend The Guns of August--it is about the start of WWI
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:


Maze Runner wasn't very good. Nice idea, juvenile writing.


I had a similar experience reading it. A whole bunch of unexplained stuff just to create mystery and drama. Seemed like Dashner had this cool idea of "if you woke up in the middle of a maze didn't know why or where you'd come from," but he also couldn't come up with the why (if I'm gonna go on that journey, I'd much rather just watch the very underrated film "Cube.").
G
Guest
Schmoe wrote:


Maze Runner wasn't very good. Nice idea, juvenile writing.


I had a similar experience reading it. A whole bunch of unexplained stuff just to create mystery and drama. Seemed like Dashner had this cool idea of "if you woke up in the middle of a maze didn't know why or where you'd come from," but he also couldn't come up with the why (if I'm gonna go on that journey, I'd much rather just watch the very underrated film "Cube.").


I haven't read it. The movie was decent though. I'll see the sequel at least.
S
Schmoe
hawkwing wrote:
Mars wrote:


Maze Runner wasn't very good. Nice idea, juvenile writing.


I had a similar experience reading it. A whole bunch of unexplained stuff just to create mystery and drama. Seemed like Dashner had this cool idea of "if you woke up in the middle of a maze didn't know why or where you'd come from," but he also couldn't come up with the why (if I'm gonna go on that journey, I'd much rather just watch the very underrated film "Cube.").


I haven't read it. The movie was decent though. I'll see the sequel at least.


NO, DON'T!!! The sequels are both horrendous!
Advertisement
K
KittyCathy
Like it always, sequels usually are horrendous.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:


Maze Runner wasn't very good. Nice idea, juvenile writing.
I had a similar experience reading it. A whole bunch of unexplained stuff just to create mystery and drama. Seemed like Dashner had this cool idea of "if you woke up in the middle of a maze didn't know why or where you'd come from," but he also couldn't come up with the why (if I'm gonna go on that journey, I'd much rather just watch the very underrated film "Cube.").
I haven't read it. The movie was decent though. I'll see the sequel at least.
NO, DON'T!!! The sequels are both horrendous!

I liked Book 2 better than Book 1, and Book 3 worse than Book 1. Next Up: Book 0. Then Ready Player One.
S
SpiffCoug
Finished Ready Player One. It was pretty good; but it was a basically a futuristic re-telling of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.



I enjoyed it. It had some pretty frequent swearing in it. And the first part - where he is describing the dystopian world he rants pretty good against capitalism and how we're doomed due to global warming.



But once he really got into the story telling he did a good job.



I'm interested to see how Spielberg treats he story in the movie that's coming out in 2017 (?).
M
Mars


I really like Ready Player One (a virtual world treasure hunt in the mid 2050s based on 1980s trivia).



I really, really like The Name of The Wind (amazing fantasy novel).



I liked Mistborn (fantasy novel with unique magic system).



Both of the last two have sequels that I will be reading soon.
S
SpiffCoug
If you liked Ready Player One he has a new book out called Armada. It was pretty good as well.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.