Archived Topic

1st GOP Debate Participants

by Ddawg · 8/4/2015

Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Fox News has announced the 1st tier GOP debate participants (9 pm) and the 2nd tier debaters on Aug. at 5 pm - Aug. 6th



Fox News announces lineup for first debate:* Trump* Bush* Walker* Huckabee* Carson* Cruz* Rubio* Paul* Christie * Kasich



The 2nd tier 5 pm debate will be -

Fiorina, Perry, Jindal, Graham, Santorum, Pataki, Gilmore miss the cut for first tier GOP 2016 debate.



BTW - when are the Dem presidential debates? Any tentative dates announced?
D
Ddawg
I just finished watching the debates. For me - 2 big surprises. 1. Carly Florina hit a grand slam in the 1st debate. Smart, articulate, ready for prime time. 2. Donald Trump hurt himself badly when he refused to support the eventual GOP nominee. I thought is was selfish and arrogant. IMHO. Just my 2 cents.



The interesting thing you saw tonight in the GOP debates was energy and diversity. Diversity in ethnicity, ideas, and backgrounds. The complete opposite of what the Dem's offer - old, privileged, elitist, white socialists.



An important thing you saw in the 2 GOP debates tonight (that you will not see in the Dem debates - if they ever quit hiding and have debates) was an ethnic representation of America - a broad spectrum of racial diversity.
S
SpiffCoug
Fiorina is only candidate from the early debate who should be allowed to continue. The rest should be told to pack it up.



You will never see a Democrat Party debate with that kind of hostility from the moderators, that level of tough questions or that kind of sparring. Any Democrat debate will have Hillary treated with kid gloves with questions that go something like this:



Moderator: Secretary and future President Clinton, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?



Hillary: Chocolate.



Moderator: Bernie. Which of these adjectives would you say best describes the flavor the esteemed Mrs. Clinton chose: Awesome, Delicious, Outstanding, or Stupendous.



Bernie Sanders: uh, delicious?



Moderator: Next question to Jim, who we didn't know was coming tonight. Now that we know chocolate is the most delicious flavor out there, can't we all agree that there is nothing wrong with having chocolate as a favorite flavor?



Jim Webb: I guess.



Moderator: Last question to Martin, who for some despicable reason, thinks it's ok to say "all lives matter", when we really know it's only Black Lives that Matter but only if they're already alive and subscribe to the wonderful Marxist philosophy. Marty, would you like to also like to say that chocolate is your favorite flavor or would like you double down on your racist comments against all things that aren't pure white?
G
Guest
last night was a horrible night for the GOP. Trump is not only a racist, misogynist fool, I believe that he's actively trying to splinter the party to help his friend Hillary Clinton get elected.



No actual viable candidate showed any passion, life, or charisma. The GOP is in extremely serious trouble and if they don't rally behind a single candidate very soon this election will come down to a closer race between Sanders and Clinton than anyone on the right.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
last night was a horrible night for the GOP. Trump is not only a racist, misogynist fool, I believe that he's actively trying to splinter the party to help his friend Hillary Clinton get elected.



No actual viable candidate showed any passion, life, or charisma. The GOP is in extremely serious trouble and if they don't rally behind a single candidate very soon this election will come down to a closer race between Sanders and Clinton than anyone on the right.

After last night's debate, the fatalist in me thought "I hope that Sanders is our next president... let's do this train wreck right"
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
last night was a horrible night for the GOP. Trump is not only a racist, misogynist fool, I believe that he's actively trying to splinter the party to help his friend Hillary Clinton get elected.


Hawk - I'm not sure if you're joking or serious. Do you really think Trump is a racist because he wants to control our southern border? Personally, I don't. I don't agree with Trump's style. He's arrogant, bombastic, and has no filter. But I don't think he's a racist. Our southern open border is a huge problem and the status quo is a disaster. It must be addressed.
G
Guest
Ddawg wrote:
last night was a horrible night for the GOP. Trump is not only a racist, misogynist fool, I believe that he's actively trying to splinter the party to help his friend Hillary Clinton get elected.


Hawk - I'm not sure if you're joking or serious. Do you really think Trump is a racist because he wants to control our southern border? Personally, I don't. I don't agree with Trump's style. He's arrogant, bombastic, and has no filter. But I don't think he's a racist. Our southern open border is a huge problem and the status quo is a disaster. It must be addressed.


No, I don't think he's a racist because he wants to control the southern border. I think he's a racist because he is a racist.
S
SpiffCoug
I think Trump despises all people. He, like Obama, believes he is the most important person in any room. That he alone should be trusted to make decisions.



Trump would govern as a president much like Obama - through executive order - because he would not submit to a Congress to pass legislation. Like Obama, he does not fundamentally understand the Constitution or this nation.



He would only worsen the divides in this nation, further destroy the separation of powers and shred the Constitution.
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
last night was a horrible night for the GOP. Trump is not only a racist, misogynist fool, I believe that he's actively trying to splinter the party to help his friend Hillary Clinton get elected.


Hawk - I'm not sure if you're joking or serious. Do you really think Trump is a racist because he wants to control our southern border? Personally, I don't. I don't agree with Trump's style. He's arrogant, bombastic, and has no filter. But I don't think he's a racist. Our southern open border is a huge problem and the status quo is a disaster. It must be addressed.


No, I don't think he's a racist because he wants to control the southern border. I think he's a racist because he is a racist.


That's a shocker to me. I have never seen any statements by Trump that would indicate he's a racist. I'm not a Trump defender. But I have never seen that aspect of Trump. I agree with Spiff's assessment. No question, Trump is very arrogant and conceited. It's literally his way or the highway because everyone else is dumber than him. No discussion.



Hey Hawk, I'm not trying to be antagonistic or argumentative. If you can educate me how or when Trump has been a racist - please fill me in. Who do you think he's a racist against? Blacks? Mexicans? Hispanics? Asians? Or all the above? If you have any quotes to support your position, I would love to see them.



Thx. Success in all.
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think Trump despises all people. He, like Obama, believes he is the most important person in any room. That he alone should be trusted to make decisions.



Trump would govern as a president much like Obama - through executive order - because he would not submit to a Congress to pass legislation. Like Obama, he does not fundamentally understand the Constitution or this nation.



He would only worsen the divides in this nation, further destroy the separation of powers and shred the Constitution.


You know Spiff, I've re-read your post 3x and considered your points. I think you really hit on something here. It's an insightful post. I hadn't considered that Trump would have a hard time working with Congress - or Congressional leaders that would disagree with him. It's a critical point. Trump is use to being the "Generalissimo" and people jump at his bark.



The beauty and strength of the separation of powers in our Constitutional govt.is the art of negotiation and compromise - with people you disagree with. Lincoln's greatness was his ability to build consensus - with people that intensely disliked him. Trump is very thin skinned and takes everything personal. Look at his current spat with Megyn Kelly and Charles Krauthamer. It's ridiculously childish, personal, vindictive, un-professional, un-statesman like, and acts beneath the dignity of anyone seeking the presidency.



I've concluded as brilliant as Trump is in real estate - he does not have the temperament to be the president. Though, he is entertaining - Trump the tough guy needs to toughen up actually learn to be tough by being gracious.



No question, Trump is a very sharp real estate businessman. He has succeeded in a tough real estate business - phenomenally. The question is - is he presidential timber? It takes more than being a school yard bully who blusters and talks tough. I've concluded Trump is left wanting.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I would also like to see evidence of Trump as a racist. I don't know if he'd make a good president. What I do like about him is him standing up to people and issues that need to be stood up to. That includes a lot of republicans who have wimped out on confronting obama. If one or more of the other republicans would get more of what Trump has I'd sure like it. Some of them are close and could get better. I just heard that Rand Paul was very sick the night of the debates. I think he has potential. He isn't the only one but I've said enough for now.
D
Ddawg
nuk13 wrote:
I would also like to see evidence of Trump as a racist. I don't know if he'd make a good president. What I do like about him is him standing up to people and issues that need to be stood up to. That includes a lot of republicans who have wimped out on confronting obama. If one or more of the other republicans would get more of what Trump has I'd sure like it. Some of them are close and could get better. I just heard that Rand Paul was very sick the night of the debates. I think he has potential. He isn't the only one but I've said enough for now.


I agree with you Nuk13. What is refreshing and attractive about Trump is his no nonsense plainspeak - no PC. I think some other GOP candidates can and will do the same thing - i.e., Kasich, Fiorina, Cruz, Christie, and Perry (just off the top of my head - in no order).



The thing that hurts Trump is thin skin and mean vindictiveness. In the "major leagues" you need to be able to take it as well as dish it out. It is the Varsity.
N
nuk13
Ddawg wrote:
I would also like to see evidence of Trump as a racist. I don't know if he'd make a good president. What I do like about him is him standing up to people and issues that need to be stood up to. That includes a lot of republicans who have wimped out on confronting obama. If one or more of the other republicans would get more of what Trump has I'd sure like it. Some of them are close and could get better. I just heard that Rand Paul was very sick the night of the debates. I think he has potential. He isn't the only one but I've said enough for now.


I agree with you Nuk13. What is refreshing and attractive about Trump is his no nonsense plainspeak - no PC. I think some other GOP candidates can and will do the same thing - i.e., Kasich, Fiorina, Cruz, Christie, and Perry (just off the top of my head - in no order).



The thing that hurts Trump is thin skin and mean vindictiveness. In the "major leagues" you need to be able to take it as well as dish it out. It is the Varsity.


And I agree with you Ddawg. As far as the candidates go, I like Fiorina (some are saying she made good gains in the debate) and Cruz but I'm am undecided on Perry. Bush is the bottom of the list and Christie is just above him.



Trump hurt himself in the debate as far as I'm concerned and you have given good reasons why. It was low of him to be the only one that wouldn't back any other republican. That potentially throws things to hillary and the democrats.
D
Ddawg
Interesting NBC poet debate poll results. After polling 3,551 people, 18 and older, NBC has posted:



Who won the GOP debate?

1. Fiorina 22%, 2. Trump 18%, 3. Rubio 13%,

4. Cruz 12%, 5. Carson 8%, 6. Huckabee 5%



Who lost the debate?

1. Trump 29%, 2. Paul 14%, Bush 11%, Christie 9%



GOP standings in presidential race post debate

1. Trump 23%, 2. Cruz 13%, 3. Carson 11%,

4. Fiorina 8%, 5. Rubio 8%



http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/new-nbc-news-survey-monkey-poll-donald-trump-still-lead-n406766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.