M
MesaCougFanArchived Topic
Big12 Possibly Looking West For Expansion
by MesaCougFan · 7/30/2015
Advertisement
E
EM_PumaI honestly can't handle all this expansion talk because it hurt too much the last time when we were left out looking in when almost everyone was convinced it was going to happen. I really don't believe that we'll hear anything credible in the news about possibilities other then someone theorizing. It's fine to throw out theories, but it all roads lead to not getting in, then it's a fruitless endeavor and one I don't enjoy.
Sarkisian is quoted this week as saying that someday he see's 4 16 member conferences. See, I don't even really seeing that happening because which of 5 current P5 conferences is going to say, "OK, we'll dissolve and let you have our members"? Only if the Big12 falls apart with either OK or TX leaving could I see that scenario somewhat, but still I think the Big12 officials would do what the Big East did and still carve out a new conference. These conferences represent people with jobs--careers. They're not going to fold. If the NCAA was powerful enough they could make super conferences happen, but they've grown weak. I just don't logically see it happening.
Sarkisian is quoted this week as saying that someday he see's 4 16 member conferences. See, I don't even really seeing that happening because which of 5 current P5 conferences is going to say, "OK, we'll dissolve and let you have our members"? Only if the Big12 falls apart with either OK or TX leaving could I see that scenario somewhat, but still I think the Big12 officials would do what the Big East did and still carve out a new conference. These conferences represent people with jobs--careers. They're not going to fold. If the NCAA was powerful enough they could make super conferences happen, but they've grown weak. I just don't logically see it happening.
Y
YNotThe popular sentiment is that the Big 12 prefers eastward expansion. IMO, this mostly stems from WVU's presence and the fertile recruiting in Florida.
Big 12 rosters are dominated by Texas recruits. Here's a comparison of players from Florida versus California on Big 12 rosters:
LEAN-FLORIDA
WVU: Florida = 22, California = 1
Iowa St.: Florida = 21, California = 8
Kansas: Florida = 6, California = 2
Texas: Florida = 3, California = 0
LEAN-CALIFORNIA
TCU: Florida = 2, California = 9
Oklahoma: - Florida = 4; from California = 8
Kansas St.: Florida = 2, California = 5
Texas Tech: Florida = 1, California = 4
Baylor: Florida = 0, California = 3
OKlahoma St.: Florida = 1, California =2
Big 12 rosters are dominated by Texas recruits. Here's a comparison of players from Florida versus California on Big 12 rosters:
LEAN-FLORIDA
WVU: Florida = 22, California = 1
Iowa St.: Florida = 21, California = 8
Kansas: Florida = 6, California = 2
Texas: Florida = 3, California = 0
LEAN-CALIFORNIA
TCU: Florida = 2, California = 9
Oklahoma: - Florida = 4; from California = 8
Kansas St.: Florida = 2, California = 5
Texas Tech: Florida = 1, California = 4
Baylor: Florida = 0, California = 3
OKlahoma St.: Florida = 1, California =2
B
byucougar1Should BYU be invited, it is clear that they focus heavily in CA, UT and recently have emphasized TX. I would expect more of the same and then some from other parts of the country. Map below shows number of members by state.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/2012_LDS_Membership.png/380px-2012_LDS_Membership.png " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

