Archived Topic

Yet another idiot

by Cougs_Rule · 7/28/2015

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
1h

Hans Olsen @975Hans

Ultimately, I'd give anything to see BYU get an invite to a power 5. Until then, I want to see them compete in a conference. Relevance.
R
runbyu1
Hans does BYU no favors with his attitude. Accept things for how they are and make the best of it. I'd rather be independent than in a non P5 conference anyday.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougs_Rule wrote:
1h

Hans Olsen @975Hans

Ultimately, I'd give anything to see BYU get an invite to a power 5. Until then, I want to see them compete in a conference. Relevance.

Reasonable minds can differ. A difference of opinion doesn't make a person an idiot... how they treat another's opinion, however, might.
C
Cougs_Rule
ABYUFAN wrote:
1h

Hans Olsen @975Hans

Ultimately, I'd give anything to see BYU get an invite to a power 5. Until then, I want to see them compete in a conference. Relevance.

Reasonable minds can differ. A difference of opinion doesn't make a person an idiot... how they treat another's opinion, however, might.


You mean like give a person a down vote because they disagree with an opinion? Yep, you are right.



But listen people, for those too pure to get my sarcasm, or too unread to catch my last chain that got locked on this very topic, let me spell this out. I actually agree with Hans on this topic and have been treated like an idiot because of it.
G
Guest
I completely disagree with Hans. Independence is a huge step up from MWC.
Advertisement
S
scott715
And it is preparatory to going P5. I can't call someone an idiot but I can say Stupid and Crazy.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
I completely disagree with Hans. Independence is a huge step up from MWC.

Especially given what the MWC looks like now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Going Indy was a leap of desperation (or faith if you can't stomach reality.). It may work. It may not. Probability is not in favor of BYU. Odds are against BYU getting into P5. You might say it needs a miracle--an act of god to get into a P5. So, will it be against heavens will to get it if it fails to do so? If the Texas/Ok circle bolt for the P12, BYU is screwed. They will be stuck with some hybrid of leftover Big 12 schools that get left behind or have to go back to MWC.

Of course BYU couldn't stay with the horrible TV rights situation of MWC. But had Hair granted BYU TV rights, where do you think BYU would be? And if BYU doesn't land off its leap into a P5, where do you think BYU will go? Indy longterm is unsustainable. Deal with it. Egg on face and serious smack by Utah awaits if TH doesnt get it done. Prep for it. It's gonna suck big time, but as Hans is saying, if P5 doesn't happen, conference membership, conf championships, and a viable shot at a Big 5 bowl is better than what BYU will have as it slips into irrelevancy with its Independency. What's the alternative? Would you rather cancel the sport program at BYU or go back to MWC? If BYU can't get in, some BYU fans are in for a very hard landing.
F
Fido
I think independence has been better for BYU than staying in the MWC. At some point that might change. But the situation 5 years ago was intolerable. Games were largely not available for broadcast outside The MTN network broadcast area. The broadcast quality was poor. The TV partners were refusing to allow any rebroadcast of games. CT also took the hard line and did nothing to address the issues and concerns held by BYU.



Things have changed drastically over the last 5 years. The MTN network folded. The MWC TV deal was revised. If BYU were in the MWC today I don't believe it would be as bad as it was back then. However, its not like BYU could simply return today. Front range schools like Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, and New Mexico have stood by their statements when BYU left the conference that they would NOT play them again. While some MWC teams have been flexible in scheduling games with BYU, CT is still there and I'm sure all things are not forgiven/forgotten.



Utah fans are going to talk smack whether BYU is in the MWC or independent. Should that be what drives your plan and ambitions? If BYU can't get into a P5 conference and eventually is forced to rejoin a conference--why does that "suck big time"? Isn't that what you are advocating should have been done all along? I'm backing the effort to do all you can to get where you want to be. Fear of failure and being mocked by those who had things work out better for them? Bah.



And for the record--I don't have an issue with you having an opinion that doesn't line up with mine. I take issue with the mocking and derision you direct at others as you express your opinion. There is a half-full/half-empty thing going on from what I see. I don't see anybody looking at independence as a glass-full scenario. For me it's always been P5 > Independence > MWC. Until circumstances change, I want to see BYU keep aiming higher.
S
scott715
Stay Indy until there is no chance to go P5 then consider going back to G5.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BYU has only two viable paths in the future:



P5

Best of the Rest Conference



BYU needs to focus on the P5 route, and only when it is clear that P5 is not going to happen do they move to plan B and spearhead the formation of a best of the rest.
S
stuckinbig10country
Anyone who uses a G5 conference name in the same breath as relevance doesn't understand the definition of words. G5 teams actually are taking less money from the NY6 bowls now than when they were "busting the BCS."



Sure, it's guaranteed money every year, but non-BCS teams were making it to BCS games almost every year anyway. If a non-BCS team made a BCS game in 4 out of every 6 years (definitely was trending that way with NIU getting in with 1 loss), they would make more money under the old system.



It's a joke to think that any bowl game outside of the Playoff is relevant to anyone other than the teams playing in that game and their fans. Quick, who even played in the Rose Bowl last year? Cotton Bowl? Chick Fil-A Bowl? Those are some of the games in the rotation to host playoff/championship games, and I bet most of us would have to look up at least one of the 6 teams that played in those 3 games.
C
Cougarfan87
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Anyone who uses a G5 conference name in the same breath as relevance doesn't understand the definition of words. G5 teams actually are taking less money from the NY6 bowls now than when they were "busting the BCS."



Sure, it's guaranteed money every year, but non-BCS teams were making it to BCS games almost every year anyway. If a non-BCS team made a BCS game in 4 out of every 6 years (definitely was trending that way with NIU getting in with 1 loss), they would make more money under the old system.



It's a joke to think that any bowl game outside of the Playoff is relevant to anyone other than the teams playing in that game and their fans. Quick, who even played in the Rose Bowl last year? Cotton Bowl? Chick Fil-A Bowl? Those are some of the games in the rotation to host playoff/championship games, and I bet most of us would have to look up at least one of the 6 teams that played in those 3 games.


I agree. Once you join the G5, you are already irrelevant on the national scene. What did the talking heads on sports radio talk about all year? Who was in and out of the four team playoff. Everyone else was irrelevant.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.