Archived Topic

Jay Drew Confirms Kaveinga to BYU

by snoscythe · 12/21/2009

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Jay Drew is confirming the Uona Kaveinga transfer from USC to BYU. Expects a news release as soon as the paperwork is finalized.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php
G
Guest
Wow, this is officially huge.
L
Lawboy
He will not play until 2011, unless he serves a mission, then it will be longer off. But the LB core is getting really, really deep right now for the future. I can see why they plan on staying with the 3-4 right now. Let's hope they get solid DB's to match the great front 7 players they have coming in. My guess is that there will be some position shifting with this class with the speed skill guys to maximize their abilities. Love it.
G
gmj81
Wow. The future is looking extremely bright. Between this news and the 2010 recruiting class, the key cogs of which have already signed (Heap, Apo, Quezada), there is going to be more collective talent than ever before in Provo.



I'm not necessarily with the Kaveinga pick-up. I didn't like how he handled his recruitment. And Bronco also made statements that he didn't exactly care for it either so I'm a little shocked to see Bronco giving this kid a second chance. I just wonder if the only thing Kav regrets is the lack of PT he's received at USC. If he doesn't get it at BYU either will he pick up and jump ship again? We do have a lot of talent at LB the next 4-5 years so there's no guarantee that he'll even start. I just hope Bronco makes him work for a scholie. All that said, he was a very talented player in high school and could certainly provide BYU with some options and depth. Maybe it'll even allow us to bring in his younger brother as a preferred walk-on at safety where we are hurting a bit for depth. I don't want to hold a grudge against the kid or his family (who from everything I've heard was as disappointed as Cougar fans the way he handled his recruitment) but I'll wait to see how this all pans out before I get too excited. And as Drew said, nothing is official yet.
S
scott715
No grudge at all. Welcome with open arms. Any Coug is a coug of mine!
Advertisement
M
mraven
snoscythe wrote:
Jay Drew is confirming the Uona Kaveinga transfer from USC to BYU. Expects a news release as soon as the paperwork is finalized.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php


Not to nit pick or anything, but I think the "news release" and "paperwork" that were referenced in Bronco's interview and in Jay's blog were regarding Quezada, not Kaveinga. That being said, Bronco's statements make it pretty clear that Kaveinga (although not mentioned by name) is probably coming to BYU.
L
Lawboy
I just hope the kid can play when he gets here, and is not a Chris Burgess type that had huge hype, but did not live up to the expectation at Duke or at utah.
B
byutx
The fact that Kaveinga himself has been seen (including by Jay Drew) at team activities in Vegas speaks for itself. Especially considering USC has a game on Saturday.
C
CougarClaw
next you're going to tell me Mr. Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy are going to be transfering and that the NCAA has granted them 3 more years of elibility if they can get several NFL players to come back to the nCAA for a few years but only if they play for the Cougars.



Welcome Kaveinga. We're VERY glad to have you. holy recruiting class batman. Can it get any better? CAn it? What could POSSIBLY happen to make this year any more exciting?
M
mormonrasta
A thread about a transfer LB from a big time program and no mention of . . . . . nevermind.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
mraven wrote:
Jay Drew is confirming the Uona Kaveinga transfer from USC to BYU. Expects a news release as soon as the paperwork is finalized.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php


Not to nit pick or anything, but I think the "news release" and "paperwork" that were referenced in Bronco's interview and in Jay's blog were regarding Quezada, not Kaveinga. That being said, Bronco's statements make it pretty clear that Kaveinga (although not mentioned by name) is probably coming to BYU.


No worries. I was just reading that into this line from Drew: "Mendenhall could not tell us the transfer’s name, saying, “until he enrolls in school, that would be premature on my part.”"
C
CougarPeasant
mormonrasta wrote:
A thread about a transfer LB from a big time program and no mention of . . . . . nevermind.


I'm not going to say it either.





This is a solid pick up for BYU. It's too bad he can't play next season when we have openings. But the 2011 group of LBs could be the best BYU has ever had.



For the record, Scout ranks BYU's LB recruiting class in the top 10 for 2010.
B
BOID
I finally found where everybody went. Cougarblue has become a lonely place.



I too am feeling stoked about Uona's expected transfer. I wonder if he is still wanting to go on a mission and Carroll was discouraging that. I also wonder if he simply sees BYU on the rise with an incredible recruiting year while USC finishes a disappointing season. BYU did just recruit an awesome pack of very talented poly's, and I wonder if he has some buddies among them. I heard a rumor that Uona still has an unused red-shirt. It will be interesting to hear whether he plans to work out with the Cougars for a year, or if he plans a mission. Anybody know?



I'm still pumped up over the news about Quezada! What a time to be a BYU fan.
F
Florwood
mormonrasta wrote:
A thread about a transfer LB from a big time program and no mention of . . . . . nevermind.


The temple in Manti is beautiful.
S
Schmoe
Florwood wrote:
A thread about a transfer LB from a big time program and no mention of . . . . . nevermind.


The temple in Manti is beautiful.


That's where I got hitched! And, BOID, welcome to CC.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Wowzi!!!!!!!!!



It's beyond huge - it's earth shattering - phenomenal - it's BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: 8)
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
BOID, welcome to CC.
Seconded!



"There have been rumblings and rumors about USC linebacker Uona Kaveinga transferring to BYU. Kaveinga, who has been in Las Vegas this weekend, committed to the Cougars before deciding to sign with the Trojans as part of the 2008 recruiting class... Obviously, if Kaveinga were to transfer to BYU, it would be a coup for the Cougar defense."

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/19/10007798/BYU-Cougars-blog-Could-USC-linebacker-be-transferring-to-BYU.html



"I asked Mendenhall if Quezada will be the final mid-year signing, and he said it was. But he added something interesting regarding a potential transfer. “We have a young man that is considering transferring from another Division I school. He wouldn’t be placed on scholarship right away, and so when we get back in January [we may know more]. And I can’t tell you if he is coming for sure, but that will probably be noteworthy if he chooses to come.” Obviously, that player is USC linebacker Uona Kaveinga, who is in Las Vegas and has reportedly been seen at some BYU gatherings here. Kaveinga committed to BYU with the class of 2008, but changed his mind on signing day and signed with the Trojans. Mendenhall could not tell us the transfer’s name, saying, “until he enrolls in school, that would be premature on my part.” But it is Kaveinga, several sources confirmed."

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=7947&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



"USC linebacker Uona Kaveinga , who committed to BYU before signing with the Trojans in 2008, has received a release from USC and is interested in transferring to BYU."

http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/ci_14044447?source=rss



"Linebacker Uona Kaveinga has received a release from #USC and is looking to transfer to #BYU, but will pay his own way at first."

http://twitter.com/drewjay
E
EM_Puma
I'm pleased to have Kaveinga at BYU, but I have to think that things did not go as he had hoped at USC and that is part of why he is leaving. USC has already released him, before their bowl game. That says something in itself. I'm not saying he's damaged goods, but I think he found it more of a challenge to rise to the level of college football than he thought he'd have. What I'm trying to say is that while he is a welcome addition to our LB corp, It does seem that he was possibly a bit over-rated coming out of high school.



It's a shame he burned up two years finding out he should have come to BYU in the first place.



My question is that Max had to lose a year of eligibility in transferring to BYU from ASU--not just sit out a year. How does that not happen to Kaveinga unless he goes on a mission?
C
CougarPeasant
EM_Puma wrote:
I'm pleased to have Kaveinga at BYU, but I have to think that things did not go as he had hoped at USC and that is part of why he is leaving. USC has already released him, before their bowl game. That says something in itself. I'm not saying he's damaged goods, but I think he found it more of a challenge to rise to the level of college football than he thought he'd have. What I'm trying to say is that while he is a welcome addition to our LB corp, It does seem that he was possibly a bit over-rated coming out of high school.



It's a shame he burned up two years finding out he should have come to BYU in the first place.



My question is that Max had to lose a year of eligibility in transferring to BYU from ASU--not just sit out a year. How does that not happen to Kaveinga unless he goes on a mission?


Kaveinga got a lot of playing time even though he was 2d string. His problem was that the class before him included Gailppo, the #1 rated linebacker in the country out of high school, and two others who were both 4* and rated higher than Kavienga was.



Another problem is that USC runs a 4-3, which means only 3 LBs start, but they rotate alot to keep them fresh through the game. Being 2d string at USC behind the talent that they recruit is no small feat. He would have started at all but a couple of places and even then he would have seen a lot of action.



I also seem to recall that one reason Kaveinga chose USC at the last minute was so he could stay close to home and see his parents more often.



As for Hall, I believe he redshirted his freshman year, so he lost that option when he transferred to BYU. A player loses a year of playing eligibility (non-redshirt year) when he transfers to a team in the same conference, not OOC.
B
BOID
Thanks, Schmoe, and Mars. It's good to be among true fans again.



Oh, by the way, Schmoe, I tied the knot there also.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.