Archived Topic

Opinions on quartz countertops?

by hawkwing · 7/16/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
Anyone have any opinions on quartz countertops or good hookups? I've been considering doing a home improvement project.
S
snoscythe
Just bite the bullet and do some Fenix countertops. All about the nanotech.
G
Guest
hah, I've never heard of that stuff before, but it looks pretty awesome.
M
Mars
http://www.greatlakesgm.com/image/obj594geo430pg1p28.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Fenix is the new generation of plastic laminate, now with nanotech! Previous gens had trouble with scorching and chipping, and extra work had to go into making the edges look nice (because laminate is thin and had to go onto a thicker under (base) layer. The new stuff seems pretty tough though.
D
Ddawg
About 12 years ago we went with natural marble. We've never had a problem. Hold up well - to massive abuse from wild kids. We've been happy with marble. After every BYU win I put a lamp shade on my head and do a victory dance wearing 5" stiletto's. It's a thing of beauty.

8)
Advertisement
S
scott715
Video please!
G
Guest
Ddawg wrote:
About 12 years ago we went with natural marble. We've never had a problem. Hold up well - to massive abuse from wild kids. We've been happy with marble. After every BYU win I put a lamp shade on my head and do a victory dance wearing 5" stiletto's. It's a thing of beauty.

8)

The reason I thought quartz over marble was because I didn't want to have to seal marble every year.
S
Schmoe
I think it would look awesome in your place. Because my house is much (MUCH) smaller, I've been looking into butcher block countertops to give it kind of a warm cottage feel.
G
Guest
Schmoe wrote:
I think it would look awesome in your place. Because my house is much (MUCH) smaller, I've been looking into butcher block countertops to give it kind of a warm cottage feel.


I think that could look really good in the right setting, have you worried at all about the sealing of it?



We already have slate floors and I honestly hate having to seal them every year.
S
Schmoe
hawkwing wrote:
I think it would look awesome in your place. Because my house is much (MUCH) smaller, I've been looking into butcher block countertops to give it kind of a warm cottage feel.


I think that could look really good in the right setting, have you worried at all about the sealing of it?



We already have slate floors and I honestly hate having to seal them every year.


It has crossed my mind. I think I might actually leave them unsealed and oil constantly for the first month and then just a re-oil every couple months. We have so little counter space (less than 25 total sq. ft.) that it wouldn't be much of a hassle. Just oil it every time we do a good deep clean.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
scott715 wrote:
Video please!


I did find a video of 3 Yewt Alumni doing their thing in heels. ;)



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc17H68IKMs
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
About 12 years ago we went with natural marble. We've never had a problem. Hold up well - to massive abuse from wild kids. We've been happy with marble. After every BYU win I put a lamp shade on my head and do a victory dance wearing 5" stiletto's. It's a thing of beauty.

8)

The reason I thought quartz over marble was because I didn't want to have to seal marble every year.


I get it. We sealed our marble 1x, 12 years ago, have not since. Never had any problem. But, quartz is probably superior. I'm sure it's great.
B
Brayden Green
I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I once installed quartz countertops...but my wife took them for granite.
G
Guest
Brayden Green wrote:
I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would love to get your thoughts on it.
Advertisement
S
sage
hawkwing wrote:
I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would love to get your thoughts on it.

Do share. Even if it is just the highlights. Good knowledge is very useful.
B
Brayden Green
sage wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would love to get your thoughts on it.

Do share. Even if it is just the highlights. Good knowledge is very useful.


laminate = cheapest cpuntertop. $5 to 20 a square foot range. Doesn't add any value to the home, and can take away from overall value of home in certain mid tier and upper pricepoints.



"Solid Surface" (Corian) countertops. 30-50 dollar range. I wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot pole. They scratch ALL the time, the "seamlessness" goes away in a matter of years. They come in pieces to your home, and they burn the glue for the seams into the actual product, so it seems seamless on the surface, but there are seams underneath, and they will pop as the counters move and shift over time. Soon the "seamless" countertops look like pretty much any Utah sidewalk with a large undergrowth of trees. Too expensive for not enough value added back, and doesn't hold their value.



I will throw stainless steel countertops in with the "Avoid" category. They look good, but can be sharp on the edges, can warp when the glue underneath stops holding them, and - most important to me - can dent if a can or something drops on them. I think they are beautiful, but not functional or practical.



Concrete counterops. This is a hit and miss, (but mostly miss) category for me. I have seen some BEAUTIFUL custom projects done in poured concrete over the years. I have also seen a ton of people spend good money on something that breaks and doesn't come out right. The concept of concrete countertops is that they make a mold from your kitchen and then they take that to their shop and pour a stylized concrete resin into your mold. Here is the catch for me, and it seems a conflict of interest for the companies involved. The longer your countertop sets in the mold, undisturbed, the stronger it is (provided they mixed it right, and there is a good bond with the ingredients - color and other ground objects added as a filler and bondable material, normally glass or stone, or something for the concrete to hold on to, known as aggregate). The conflict comes that they want to get your product out the door and stop taking up space in their warehouse, collect their money, and move on to the next job. So, the best thing for you isn't the best thing for their business, and most companies that I am familiar with ride on the "skimping" side to keep the lights on. With prices approaching granite and quartz, it isn't worth the gamble, to me. But I *have* seen some very impressive, artistic stuff over the years. Being able to create your own mold and pour can really lend itself to true artisans in the right setting.



I know that didn't answer your questions, but I'm posting because I've got to run and don't want to lose this post. I'll follow up with granite and quartz maybe later tonight.
B
BroncoBot
I've been messing around with building my own concrete countertops. Have a friend who has done his own and they turned out nice. Brayden is absolutely right though. concrete can be very hit or miss. Nice thing about doing it yourself is it is very inexpensive. If it doesn't turn out right, just bust it up and mix up some more quikcrete.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.