Archived Topic

Rumorboard's latest: Uona Kaveinga to transfer to Y from USC

by byutx · 12/20/2009

Advertisement
B
byutx
I know I'm as critical as anyone about cougarboard and all the BS over there (as well as the common fan cannabalism-or is it fanabalism?) However, a few different posters (one of which I don't know, but a couple of which are relatively well known) have said that Kaveinga is looking to get out of USC and that he'll be a mid year transfer. Of course, he'd have to sit out next year, but if he were to go on a mission, he'd miss it anyway.



I obviously can't confirm or refute the rumor, but this would be huge! Maybe Manti could follow in his footsteps...
B
byutx
It looks like this is also being discussed on TBS, though I have no specifics (can't afford the subscription right now.) However, on cougarboard they indicated that Talo Steves confirmed Kaveinga is in Vegas with the team.
C
craigoscarson
If true, that's huge....
B
byutx
There is similar buzz on USC and UCLA fan message boards.
C
craigoscarson
byutx wrote:
There is similar buzz on USC and UCLA fan message boards.




This might preclude USC and others from recruiting lds recruits if they think this could potentially happen.
Advertisement
B
byutx
craigoscarson wrote:
There is similar buzz on USC and UCLA fan message boards.




This might preclude USC and others from recruiting lds recruits if they think this could potentially happen.

I was thinking the same thing. But, if USC and ND weren't "struggling" (I use quotation marks because USC is still a decent team-only ND is really in a bad situation), I don't know if they'd be looking elsewhere.
C
craigoscarson
byutx wrote:
byutx wrote:
There is similar buzz on USC and UCLA fan message boards.




This might preclude USC and others from recruiting lds recruits if they think this could potentially happen.

I was thinking the same thing. But, if USC and ND weren't "struggling" (I use quotation marks because USC is still a decent team-only ND is really in a bad situation), I don't know if they'd be looking elsewhere.


Sometimes poor play = opportunity for a guy not getting a lot of minutes.



Either Uona didn't see eye to eye with Carroll or Norton or he really figured out that BYU was the atmosphere and team he wanted to play for. Or does it say that USC told him, "you go on a mission and we dont' want you when you get back?"



This is very exciting.



Could it get any better? There are so many ways something like this helps us. It sends a message to Pac 10 coaches to leave LDS players alone and it sends LDS recruits the message that BYU is worthy of top flight lds polynesian recruits.



It continues to fulfill the Pac 10 teams don't want you going on missions belief. and instills the feeling that BYU is the best place for all LDS athletes; even the starstruck polys.
M
mraven
Can someone remind me what position he plays? Thanks.
C
craigoscarson
mraven wrote:
Can someone remind me what position he plays? Thanks.

mlb
B
byutx
He'd be the 2nd biggest pickup this year for us, behind only Heaps.
Advertisement
M
Mithrandir
byutx wrote:
It looks like this is also being discussed on TBS, though I have no specifics (can't afford the subscription right now.) However, on cougarboard they indicated that Talo Steves confirmed Kaveinga is in Vegas with the team.


I'm a TBS member, and while I'm not going to spill the beans entirely I can say that it has been confirmed that Kaveinga has been released from USC, and that he's with the team (BYU) in LV.



I don't like it (I really like the prospects we already have at LB, and I worry his presence might diminish the comraderie this class seems to have developed...I honestly don't think I'd bring him in if I were Bronco), but this rumor appears to have some substance.
C
craigoscarson
I have to say that it's more important that the message is sent to the Pac 10, etc. that LDS recruits aren't always going to be comfortable outside of a school like BYU; even the top notch ones.

Uona Kaveinga is a bigger get than any of our linebackers from this class, and whether he sits out a year or goes on a mission, he's for all practical purposes a juco transfer for us... (from what happens to be the pre-eminent linebacker school in the country) He also has a redshirt to use if need be.

His coming to the Y will not affect any of the current recruits because they'll either play along-side him (VanNoy, Keoshian) or will be going on missions anyhow (Ho Ching, Stout, etc.)

What this gives us is tremendous depth and a serious chance at a national championship caliber squad now.

If this helps bring in Ricky Heimuli, or sends the message to the other top notch poly recruits in the country that even at USC, a recruit would be happier at BYU, it's huge for us.

USC is linebacker U; this is the equivalent of picking up an all american JUCO linebacker- but more important because of the message that it sends.

Who cares how he handled his recruiting, he obviously knew why he wanted to attend BYU and got taken in by Pete Carroll and his snake-oil salespitch. This is nott he 1st or last time that a 17 yr old kid will grow up and change what they thought was important in life.

Ross Apo might be the 2nd biggest talent as far as this years recruiting class, but this is the biggest thing to happen to BYU recruiting other than Jake Heaps.



This is an eyebrow raiser for the entire west coast, for coaches and recruits alike; it just helps firm our position on the map as a premier football school.



With Quezada picking BYU and Heimuli considering the Y; it's all the more satisfying as the Utes are a complete non factor here.
B
BroncoBot
Awesome, awesome, awesome.



Keep up the good work Bronco and coaches.



Glad that BYU has turned into a place where people like Quezada and U Kav. want to play. BYU could be a tough tough team for years with this class.
S
snoscythe
Just imagine next time we go head-to-head with USC for a recruit. On his official visit, Kaveinga will be his host and be able to tell the recruit how USC really is once the scales fall off of your eyes.
J
JamieVallen
It seems that the way everyone is talking that this is pretty much a for sure thing? Has something else happened in the past little while for everybody to think this? I'm not saying I doubt it or believe it, but I'm curious what's the scoop that everybody is getting? Is this a TBS thing? or is it still just rumors for now? Just curious...
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm surprised by this. I would have thought that Bronco wouldn't pick up someone that turned down the Y originally. But, I guess there is something to everyone getting a 2nd chance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I saw this yesterday on CB and assumed that it was a troll. Now that it is confirmed that he is in Vegas, it is great news. thinking about our class this year we can almost field a whole starting lineup with the recruits in the class. The future looks bright.
A
a1247
I can't help but wonder, does the Y have enough scholi's for everyone coming in this year? How many are going on missions straight out of high school and how many are returning from mission this year?
B
byutx
jmvcougar wrote:
It seems that the way everyone is talking that this is pretty much a for sure thing? Has something else happened in the past little while for everybody to think this? I'm not saying I doubt it or believe it, but I'm curious what's the scoop that everybody is getting? Is this a TBS thing? or is it still just rumors for now? Just curious...

There's supposedly a TBS article that confirms Kaveinga was with the team in LV for their last practice yesterday.
S
Schmoe
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I'm surprised by this. I would have thought that Bronco wouldn't pick up someone that turned down the Y originally. But, I guess there is something to everyone getting a 2nd chance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I don't know why you would hold that against a kid. When I was seventeen I did all sorts of dumb stuff and went to the wrong school (for me) initially. And, though it's not a good vs evil choice, Bronco accepting him now is reflective of repentance and the values that we strive to instill in young people at BYU and in The Church. Kid realizes he made a mistake and decides to correct it instead of just "going with the flow?" That shows a lot of maturity and thought.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.