Archived Topic

Manase Tu’ungafasi to the BYU football family!

by EM_Puma · 5/23/2015

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
601948997100572672

For perspective, that's Kai Nacua on the right. ;) :P
S
scott715
With these island recruits we are getting. All the more reason for BYUtv to televise Rugby overseas. This kid is non-LDS and had pro rugby contracts offered to him.
E
EM_Puma
That's a surprise that he's non-LDS. I thought that was the connection and our new pipeline as the other pipelines have all been breached.



I guess the tie then is the national champion Cougar rugby team.



What I love is that he's signed, so it's not like a P5 team can touch him now, but I bet they will start to investigate the possibility of finding what others are down under.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
His physicality will translate almost directly, but we'll see if he can figure out the offensive or defensive game well enough to contribute. If not, oh well. It's a good "shot in the dark" type gamble, but I don't like the idea that we are depending on some of these long shot guys to be direct contributors, almost instantly.
S
scott715
They could always play on the rugby team.
S
snoscythe
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned that our most high-profile signees are two guys who've really never played the game? Fun, yes. But it doesn't really get me excited about where we're headed...
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned that our most high-profile signees are two guys who've really never played the game? Fun, yes. But it doesn't really get me excited about where we're headed...


Oh, I'm very worried. I'm especially worried about all the hype surrounding these guys. People are counting down the days til Mo Langi gets home as if he was a 5 star guy. The reality is that these guys might not ever crack the two deep, and as I stated above, I don't mind the staff taking fliers on these types of guys, but the fact that we are counting on them to be serious contributors in the depth chart is beyond scary. Mo is practically penciled in at nose tackle, and this guy is somehow supposed to help us right away in the two deep.



Buckle up. The downward trend of the last 4 years doesn't bode well, and my guess is we hit the wall sooner, rather than later. The good news is our basketball team will be going deep into the tourney at about the same time our football team implodes in on itself like a dying star, so it isn't all bad.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I'm not worried. We got good players to sign this year that actually play football, it's not about the hype.



I do think it shows that we're finding a new recruiting angle since so many teams have sucked dry the poly pipeline we once had. Our awesome rugby team gives us a chance to get big, strong, fast athletes who are used to contact and collisions. Not all of them will pan out, but it's not a bad thing at all.
S
SpiffCoug
Brayden Green wrote:
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned that our most high-profile signees are two guys who've really never played the game? Fun, yes. But it doesn't really get me excited about where we're headed...


Oh, I'm very worried. I'm especially worried about all the hype surrounding these guys. People are counting down the days til Mo Langi gets home as if he was a 5 star guy. The reality is that these guys might not ever crack the two deep, and as I stated above, I don't mind the staff taking fliers on these types of guys, but the fact that we are counting on them to be serious contributors in the depth chart is beyond scary. Mo is practically penciled in at nose tackle, and this guy is somehow supposed to help us right away in the two deep.



Buckle up. The downward trend of the last 4 years doesn't bode well, and my guess is we hit the wall sooner, rather than later. The good news is our basketball team will be going deep into the tourney at about the same time our football team implodes in on itself like a dying star, so it isn't all bad.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This coming from the guy who thought Bronco waited too long and didn't do enough to develop Ziggy early enough.
F
frdbtr
I think BYU fans got spoiled with how well Ziggy developed. It is true that these guys may not pan out but maybe they will. They have the size and athleticism so it is possible that they could end up being good.
S
snoscythe
It's one thing to have projects with unlimited upside. It's another thing completely when those projects are the most exciting thing you are signing. The point is less about BYU finding potential diamonds in the rough (which we need to realize may be lumps of coal), and more about BYU not landing any proven impact recruits to get fans excited. Ho-hum recruiting classes generally lead to ho-hum results on the field.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
That group at Iggy's sure created a lot of excitement and hype...
S
scott715
It's the off season and these stories are different than the normal recruit. The fans are focusing on the possibilities. They might be busts or it could turn out well. These guys have some of the tools to make it to the NFL. If it works out, it will open a lot more of these stories.



I love the moves. If it turns out a bust we will know in a year or two. there is no way, they will sit for four years. Manase could sign a pro rugby contract if he realizes that is where his future is. What's worst - redshirting a guy or rolling the dice with Manase? Just the press makes these signings worth it.



Oh by the way I hope they play on the rugby team. We have some openings for next year.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned that our most high-profile signees are two guys who've really never played the game? Fun, yes. But it doesn't really get me excited about where we're headed...


Oh, I'm very worried. I'm especially worried about all the hype surrounding these guys. People are counting down the days til Mo Langi gets home as if he was a 5 star guy. The reality is that these guys might not ever crack the two deep, and as I stated above, I don't mind the staff taking fliers on these types of guys, but the fact that we are counting on them to be serious contributors in the depth chart is beyond scary. Mo is practically penciled in at nose tackle, and this guy is somehow supposed to help us right away in the two deep.



Buckle up. The downward trend of the last 4 years doesn't bode well, and my guess is we hit the wall sooner, rather than later. The good news is our basketball team will be going deep into the tourney at about the same time our football team implodes in on itself like a dying star, so it isn't all bad.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This coming from the guy who thought Bronco waited too long and didn't do enough to develop Ziggy early enough.




Sno nailed it for me, below:



Sno

It's one thing to have projects with unlimited upside. It's another thing completely when those projects are the most exciting thing you are signing. The point is less about BYU finding potential diamonds in the rough (which we need to realize may be lumps of coal), and more about BYU not landing any proven impact recruits to get fans excited. Ho-hum recruiting classes generally lead to ho-hum results on the field.
S
scott715
Perhaps we should look at the Lasike project who knew nothing about football and is now in Arizona's camp with a chance to make their roster.
S
Schmoe
scott715 wrote:
Perhaps we should look at the Lasike project who knew nothing about football and is now in Arizona's camp with a chance to make their roster.


But there was no hype when he joined the team, that's what it's all about ;)
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.