Archived Topic

Recruiting: Bronco nearly gets them all.

by CougarPeasant · 12/20/2009

Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=4&yr=2010



With today's news that Quezada commited to BYU, it got me wondering just how good of a class this is for BYU. We know the star ratings tell one story, but if you look at who Bronco targeted, I think this is his most successful year ever. If you look over the list, you can't help but notice that BYU has landed pretty much every recruit that was offered. There are only 5 recruits with outstanding offers, which includes Jamora, who originally committed, but recently began shopping around.



Those that are left will not make or break this class. Heimuli is still up for consideration and might actually join the others.



OF BYU's first 8 prospects, 7 have committed. Of the top 10, 8 have committed. Of the top 20, 17 have committed. I haven't done the research, but I would be surprised if BYU had this kind of success in any previous year.



Magic is happening my fellow fans. MAGIC IS HAPPENING.
M
Mithrandir
that appear to be "filler". Guys that have little to no chance at actually seeing PT during their time at BYU. This year, I think every player that Bronco has commited has the potential to make an impact at the D-1 level. Man, I'm stoked I am about this class!
W
wildeone
question,whats the word on ricky heimuli, I thought he ruled BYU out but i see medium interest on scout? Whats goin on with that?

If we get him too, my life would be complete
C
CougarClaw
best. recruiting class. ever.
S
scott715
Heimuli has put BYU back on the list. Be careful on the list of who we got and who is left. Some of our targets who have committed to another school no longer shows BYU as interested. One example is that 4 start non-member DB that Heaps was working on. I don't remember his name now but he chose another school.
Advertisement
W
wildeone
josh shaw was his name, but he was never on the list to begin with, I dont think that BYU actually offered him
S
scott715
Yes that is his name. He was on the list. I saw it there for a couple of weeks. It is no longer there. I am pretty sure he was offered according to Scout.



Another thought. With Utah winning the Sugar bowl last year. Wasn't this suppose to be their big recruiting year? I just don't see it happening.
S
SpiffCoug
Bronco hasn't gotten any of them yet - except for Heaps, Apo and Van Noy. The rest are still pending and things can still change. But yes, Bronco and staff have been working overtime to make this the best recruiting class ever for any school in the state of Utah.
C
cougarsunited
Perhaps most encouraging to see is that BYU destroys Utah in the in-state recruiting battle and that after the :utard: ought to be riding the Sugar bowl wave in recruiting... not happening, BYU is putting a top class together.
B
bball
Way too much is made of teams recruiting success after very successful seasons, undefeated seasons, or big bowl wins. I recall Edwards talking about recruiting after their 1984 NC season, few of the guys they signed that next class, played or amounted to much. It probably doesn't hurt your recruiting, but is an LDS kid who wants to go to BYU going to be swayed by a Utah, because they had a great year? Not hardly. Kids get a notion of where they want to play, or where the best opportunity is for them, or a team and coach who really want a certain player. There is much, much more that goes into a player's decision to sign, than how good they were last year, or whether they won their bowl game.



Plus, I believe the pendulum is going to swing back to BYU. Those teams who have "stolen" top recruits from BYU (Oregon, USC, etc), have no commitment to missions, or LDS values, and players who value those things are going to realize, and learn from others, that going to BYU is THEE place for them, and that going to other schools is hazardous for good LDS kids.



I was impressed that Quezada said he chose BYU for it values and standards--even though he is not LDS. I love it when we get kids like this.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.