Archived Topic

Video Games

by byufan4ever · 4/10/2015

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Along with BYU Sports, video games is one of passions and I've recently started blogging about it. If anyone is interested here is my blog:



https://chrisspeerswrites.wordpress.com/



Also, if anyone is on Steam and likes to play co-op, but don't like all of the foul language that comes with playing with random people, send me a PM and we can link up and also check out the LDS Gamers group on Steam.
G
Guest
I enjoy video games as well, so I'll check out your site.
B
Brayden Green
I'm a big fan.



Psn: ibleedbyublue

Xone: AtlasUncharted



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
PSN: under_hawkwing
J
jvquarterback
I thought this was a post about all the times video games were brought up in conference and you were going to make me feel even worse about playing space invaders for 10 hours a day.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
As an avid video game player, (and former Gamestop manager) I cringe everytime people bring up "video game violence" as an endemic problem to our society. I mean, you have an ESRB rating on these games restricting kids from purchasing and playing these games. At some point you have to blame the parents that are buying these games without knowing anything about them, and then leaving their children alone and unsupervised for HOURS at a time playing them. I mean, a kid playing a game like Journey or a teen playing the Last of Us under proper care and guidance could be very special, growing moments for the kids/teens playing them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byufan4ever
I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel awkward or even embarrassed to admit to my real life Mormon friends that I'm a gamer. I haven't shared my blog on my Facebook account yet. It's like it's taboo to be a Mormon Gamer.
S
SpiffCoug
I actually look forward to the time when my two boys are old enough to play "real" video games with me. I enjoy playing the Lego games and button mashing games like DC Comics v Mortal Kombat. But I don't see why my boys and I can't create memories working together on a HALO campaign together or completing a mission on Call of Duty or going on a raid in World of Warcraft.
B
byufan4ever
I'm giving away a free video game. Check out my blog for details!
B
Brayden Green
byufan4ever wrote:
I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel awkward or even embarrassed to admit to my real life Mormon friends that I'm a gamer. I haven't shared my blog on my Facebook account yet. It's like it's taboo to be a Mormon Gamer.


This is an interesting discussion. I am of the opinion that the term "gamer" is going to go away, and die, and that we should anticipate that day and let it happen. We are the first couple generations (depending on your age slot) that grew up with Home consoles. As video games become more of a medium and normalized, and the first generation of real gamers grows up and continues that legacy, we will see a lot less of a divide between society and this relatively new medium of entertainment and learning.



Examples: If someone loves watching movies, they dont refer to themselves as "movie watchers." They are just people that watch movies. If you love board games, you don't refer to yourself as a "boardgamer." You are just a persOn that likes boardgames. As the industry grows and continues it normalizes itself into society, to put it quite frank, we are the first ones that have figured out how good of an art form video games are and we are growing along with the industry, but we won't be the only ones.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Brayden Green wrote:
I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel awkward or even embarrassed to admit to my real life Mormon friends that I'm a gamer. I haven't shared my blog on my Facebook account yet. It's like it's taboo to be a Mormon Gamer.


This is an interesting discussion. I am of the opinion that the term "gamer" is going to go away, and die, and that we should anticipate that day and let it happen. We are the first couple generations (depending on your age slot) that grew up with Home consoles. As video games become more of a medium and normalized, and the first generation of real gamers grows up and continues that legacy, we will see a lot less of a divide between society and this relatively new medium of entertainment and learning.



Examples: If someone loves watching movies, they dont refer to themselves as "movie watchers." They are just people that watch movies. If you love board games, you don't refer to yourself as a "boardgamer." You are just a persOn that likes boardgames. As the industry grows and continues it normalizes itself into society, to put it quite frank, we are the first ones that have figured out how good of an art form video games are and we are growing along with the industry, but we won't be the only ones.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, I was born in '80 so the NES and SNES had a huge impact on me as a kid! I don't know if this is the reason why, but my parents were converts so perhaps they were a little more relax in regards to our home entertainment. My wife, however, grew up in a family with pioneer heritage and in her house video games were basically banned. So, a bit of the struggle I have is deciding as a family how much video game time is appropriate. For me, it's part of my leisure time and how I relax and is good bonding moments with my kids. My wife thinks we're addicted and turning into zombies.



More back to what you said. With my church friends I have no problem professing my love for sports and talking sports all church long with them. But I don't bring up video games. One of the youth knows I like video games because he's been in my house and has seen my PC gaming machine. Sometimes at church he'll start talking to me about video games and I can tell that the other adults are surprised that I know what he's talking about. But I guess I can relate to him (and his generation) better than the other youth leaders...
S
Schmoe
I grew up in a home that had pioneer heritage, and we had every Nintendo console as soon as it came out (with the exception of the Virtua-boy, man was that lame...), and, while I don't game much anymore, my brothers are both big gamers, as is my mother.
S
snoscythe
As to the evolution of the monniker "gamer," people who play board games actually do call themselves "boardgamers" and the more uptight we-were-here-first types just call themselves "gamers" and call people who play video games "video gamers".



People who watch an inordinate amount of movies call themselves "movie buffs", "film buffs", or the ever elitest hipster "cinephiles".



Gamer is like those terms in that it doesn't apply to the casual, here-and-there player/participant. It designates the hobbyist, the fanatic, the regular. I play video games once a month, if that. I am not a gamer, at best a "casual gamer". The term "gamer" will never go away, but the negative connotations associated with it will be tempered with time as more of society has exposure to people who are gamers and learn that, 'hey, they're actually pretty normal.' The term will still be used, but not as disparagingly.
U
Ungoy
I've been a gamer my whole life, from the old Atari setups, to NES, Sega Genesis and Game Gear, Wii, Xbox360, but mostly PC (over 2 decades of PC gaming). I've always been a gamer, and don't see that changing.



I'd still like to pick up a PS4 but haven't had the cash to do so, with other projects and medical bills (mostly medical bills) taking up all my money right now.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I've sent PMs to a few people but only heard back from one so I"ll post it here. I've been invited by Blizzard to participate in the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm. I've been given some keys in order to form a "team." I have 3 keys left. If you love PC games and would like to join us reply here. First come first serve.
M
Mars
byufan4ever wrote:
I've sent PMs to a few people but only heard back from one so I"ll post it here. I've been invited by Blizzard to participate in the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm. I've been given some keys in order to form a "team." I have 3 keys left. If you love PC games and would like to join us reply here. First come first serve.

Hmm. Yeah, I'd be in. Not too tough, as I'm already a Hearthstone guy and I've done League of Legends in the past.
B
byufan4ever
Mars wrote:
I've sent PMs to a few people but only heard back from one so I"ll post it here. I've been invited by Blizzard to participate in the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm. I've been given some keys in order to form a "team." I have 3 keys left. If you love PC games and would like to join us reply here. First come first serve.

Hmm. Yeah, I'd be in. Not too tough, as I'm already a Hearthstone guy and I've done League of Legends in the past.


I sent you a PM with your beta key. So that makes 4: me, you, Bayden Green from here, and my brother. I have one key left.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.