Archived Topic

Next Year's TE

by Wickchad · 12/18/2009

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Who is expected to step in as the #1 TE next year? Mike Muehlmann?



Is Devon Mahina going to play TE or DE?
S
SpiffCoug
Richard Wilson? I think with both George and Pitta gone, I think our offense will be much more like 2005 with a Meikle-type receiver in the slot. I think we'll run fewer two TE sets.
J
JamieVallen
I personally knew Mike Muehlmann in high school. To be honest and I've said this before I just kind of doubt that he'll ever do much for our program, I'm not saying that I don't think he'll be alright... I just don't think he's going to be anything anywhere near Pitta or George (obviously not even close to a guy like Pitta) Unless he's bulked up, he goes down pretty easily. He had what some might call chicken legs. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope that I am, and maybe he's worked really hard to get himself bigger and smarter (in a football sense) than he was in high school... I guess we'll see.
C
CougarClaw
Austin Holt should be coming back from his mission soon I thought. Wasn't he the star of the 08 recruiting class? I would have thought he's be at least in the mix.



talk about a good time to be a TE in the BYU program with no heir apparent and an offense that has thrived off some good ones. Then again, those ARE big shoes to fill.
L
Lawboy
I'd love to see McKay play outside, Apo play outside, and put Chambers in the slot George was in. I think Chambers has great size and better speed than George and would be a beast match up for any safety. I want to see us create some mismatches with speed, and not just size.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Richard Wilson is twice the athlete that George/Pitta are; he's going to be a beast once he figures out the game. I doubt we'll see another Pitta, with his hands and ability to get open, but Wilson is the real deal physically. Austin Holt probably projects as an Andrew George/ Todd Heaps type if he gets home and gets back in tip top shape. He was a 5 star guy from some scouts when we signed him.



We've talked about Mahina for so long, that I'm not sure what to expect or where to expect him; it's hard for me to project his future.



I want to see Drew Philips in the slot; his highlight videos against some top Alabama teams are just incredible. I think of Wes Welker with speed.



I do agree that Chambers may have more of a future as an inside receiver with his size, and putting Apo on the outside with OC inside gives us the ability to keep all three on the field for extended time. OC and Wilson on the inside would be a nice tandem and difficult for teams to matchup with.



Chambers only shot at the NFL would be as a tight end (or safety, but that's not going to happen) ; and we have converted receivers to TE before... Dan Coats for example.
L
Lawboy
craigoscarson wrote:
I want to see Drew Philips in the slot.




Rotate him and Chambers. BYU platoons like crazy. So nice to have one huge possession guy, and more smaller, burner type. Nice combo.



Austin Collie is a beast in the slot for Indy, and he played outside for BYU for 3 years. I think Chambers could be convinced to move inside for some plays.



Cross train your receivers BYU!
E
EM_Puma
Jake Murphy will be back too won't he?



As has been noted, it seems like a great time to be at BYU and be a tight end as the stars are not in front of you to hinder your view and it's been awhile since we've been in this situation at BYU as we've have four (Brown, Harline, George and Pitta) great TE's in the program for a number of years. It looks like the candidates are there, it just would have been nice to have a little more experience, but all four of those last guys contriubuted significantly, even at the beginning of their careers.
B
bball
Pitta was impressive as a freshman (walkon no less), there's no reason that Wilson, or Holt, or Mahina can't come in and have a great year.



The unsettling thing about next year is we will have a new QB, new TEs, (plus Unga possibly gone) and possibly a new Offensive Coordinator, if Anae gets hired away. But I've said all along that 2011 or 2012, is the year to get excited about, when all this great young talent has a year or two of experience. 2010 could be a tough year, TCU and Utah on the road, a rookie QB, and some big holes to fill. It's important we have a better defense next year than this year. If our Dline (whoever that will be) can be more dominating than this year, we have a chance.
C
craigoscarson
bball wrote:
Pitta was impressive as a freshman (walkon no less), there's no reason that Wilson, or Holt, or Mahina can't come in and have a great year.



The unsettling thing about next year is we will have a new QB, new TEs, (plus Unga possibly gone) and possibly a new Offensive Coordinator, if Anae gets hired away. But I've said all along that 2011 or 2012, is the year to get excited about, when all this great young talent has a year or two of experience. 2010 could be a tough year, TCU and Utah on the road, a rookie QB, and some big holes to fill. It's important we have a better defense next year than this year. If our Dline (whoever that will be) can be more dominating than this year, we have a chance.




If Anae is going to leave, I'd rather it be before this next season anyhow. Brandon Doman is the perfect guy to coach up Riley Nelson and make the gameplan much less predictable. The only reason I'd hate to see Anae go is his polynesian connection; however if I understand correctly, he hasn't had much input on recruiting - while Brandon Doman has been a master recruiter thus far in his BYU tenure.

Let Anae go, promote Brandon Doman and hire Chad Lewis to work with the offense in tandem with Brandon.



Anyone that thinks that Jake Heaps should start on day 1 is nuts..... and likely has never played high school/college sports. The transition is brutal and we face a brutal schedule. Why let that be the worlds introduction to our future golden boy? You've all seen how fair weather our fans can be, they could turn on Jake too. Don't think it can't happen. He does us more by being the "golden boy" as a redshirt, because we can still recruit guys to come play with him without having exposed his flaws (all freshmen qbs have flaws, and if you saw the Oaks Christian game, his were on for all to see) The perception/myth of Jake Heaps does as much for BYU as anything, and it's the one thing we can count on. We don't know how good he'll be in college; we do know that the fact that he's a Cougar helps our program. Let him sit, coach him up and unleash him when the talent around him is experienced and immense. Next year could be a disaster (by our expectations, a 7-5 season will be looked at as a disaster, though I woudld be content with that) no matter who plays QB.



BTW Richard Wilson does not have mission plans, let's put that to bed.
Advertisement
S
Short_Change
bball wrote:
Pitta was impressive as a freshman (walkon no less), there's no reason that Wilson, or Holt, or Mahina can't come in and have a great year.



The unsettling thing about next year is we will have a new QB, new TEs, (plus Unga possibly gone) and possibly a new Offensive Coordinator, if Anae gets hired away. But I've said all along that 2011 or 2012, is the year to get excited about, when all this great young talent has a year or two of experience. 2010 could be a tough year, TCU and Utah on the road, a rookie QB, and some big holes to fill. It's important we have a better defense next year than this year. If our Dline (whoever that will be) can be more dominating than this year, we have a chance.


Utah will be down next year, IMO so it's a good time for us to play them on the road and steal one. TCU is going to be the team to beat again next year.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
Anyone that thinks that Jake Heaps should start on day 1 is nuts..... and likely has never played high school/college sports.

Sometimes I think the internet was created just to make ignorant statements like this one. You would think that no true freshman has ever started in the history of the sport, when in reality tens of thousands have, many of which have succeeded at a high level. It's simply astounding to me that anyone would be arrogant enough to pretend otherwise.
S
Schmoe
Yeah, it's a good thing that Wyoming didn't start their true freshman at qb, otherwise they wouldn't have made their first bowl game in five years and took that game in which they were supposed to be blown out into OT and winning it. Oh wait...



Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
Anyone that thinks that Jake Heaps should start on day 1 is nuts..... and likely has never played high school/college sports.

Sometimes I think the internet was created just to make ignorant statements like this one. You would think that no true freshman has ever started in the history of the sport, when in reality tens of thousands have, many of which have succeeded at a high level. It's simply astounding to me that anyone would be arrogant enough to pretend otherwise.

Trust me there have not been "tens of thousands of freshmen starting qbs in major college football" not even close. Nor have there been tens of thousands true freshmen starters at all positions of all division 1 teams. There are 100 teams (and less historically the last 50 years), that might start 2-3 freshmen max in a given season. 200-300 times how many seasons would you need to get "tens of thousands" at that's at all positions, not qb which is likely more like a couple hundred (if that) the last 40 years or so. Of the 100 or so teams this season, how many started true freshmen?

And then of course, based on your statement they also have to have success, which now whittles that number even more.





True Freshmen QBs have not thrived historically; and we face a brutal road schedule next year. The aura of the golden boy is good for recruiting, I see no reason why tarnishing that image helps BYU next season.

Call that statement arrogant but the jump from high school to major D1 is severe and I have never seen an instance where starting a true frosh Qb was a great decision. I've seen oodles examples where it was a disaster.



Certainly there are instances where a team has no better option (Wyoming) but Riley Nelson is going to be a good one and like I said before I would love ot see BYU cash in on the golden boy image as long as possible.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.

Exactly. Let's go back in a time machine, shall we?



"There's NO WAY Harvey Unga will start as a true freshman, and anyone who thinks that he will must be crazy! He's no Curtis Brown, I'll tell you that much! Besides, Fui Vakapuna will be the clear-cut starter this next season. Anyone with a brain would red-shirt Unga and make sure that John Beck can't win 10 games his senior season!!" ;)



Some people never learn.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.

Exactly. Let's go back in a time machine, shall we?



"There's NO WAY Harvey Unga will start as a true freshman, and anyone who thinks that he will must be crazy! He's no Curtis Brown, I'll tell you that much! Besides, Fui Vakapuna will be the clear-cut starter this next season. Anyone with a brain would red-shirt Unga and make sure that John Beck can't win 10 games his senior season!!" ;)



Some people never learn.




Not sure who said that, especially since Harvey was never a true freshman when he played for BYU. He did not come to BYU and play straight out of high school the season after he graduated; though the running back position is much more forgiving as a true freshman anyhow (which is why Quezada should see some important minutes next season). We're talking about quarterback here which is a completely different bird.
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
Yeah, it's a good thing that Wyoming didn't start their true freshman at qb, otherwise they wouldn't have made their first bowl game in five years and took that game in which they were supposed to be blown out into OT and winning it. Oh wait...



Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.


That true freshman for Wyoming certainly delivered vs BYU in Laramie.... ;)
S
scott715
If I am not mistaken. Wy started an older quarterback in the first game and then switched to the freshman. Freshman quarterbacks are rare (we are not talking redshirt freshman). However Heaps will get a spring practice which is rare in itself. I would not be surprised if someone else starts in game one and Heaps gets some playing time and later in the year becomes the started. He is the future but might not be the present.
S
Schmoe
craigoscarson wrote:
Yeah, it's a good thing that Wyoming didn't start their true freshman at qb, otherwise they wouldn't have made their first bowl game in five years and took that game in which they were supposed to be blown out into OT and winning it. Oh wait...



Translation--There are some true freshies that are ready and others that are not, the coaches will know after evaluating Heaps in the spring and fall.


That true freshman for Wyoming certainly delivered vs BYU in Laramie.... ;)


That true freshman for Wyoming certainly delivered vs Fr. St. in NM... ;)

(Seriously though, our recent dominance over Wyoming is awesome, and it goes way beyond who their qb is)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.