Archived Topic

April 1: Quincy replaces Pope & becomes the next in line...

by Cougs_Rule · 4/1/2015

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Yep
B
beauso79
I wish they would have added Peery as well
E
EM_Puma
Honest concern.



So now we have no one on the BYU coaching staff that has any NBA experience? That doesn't strike anyone as odd and something that would be useful?



I don't think it makes or breaks us as a team, but I'm guessing that there are few major programs with similar staffs with no one who has been exposed to the NBA level of play.



UVU will now have at least two former players as coaches from both major programs and who know somewhat of what life is like in the NBA.



I'm trusting enough in Rose that this was a good move, but I'm holding out for some proof in the pudding.



:skeptic:
H
HoosierCougar
Prior to Pope, who was the last staff member with NBA experience? I don't think Rice played or coached in the NBA... am I wrong?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
At least Quincy has coached outside of the state of Utah at some point in his career. Granted, it was 2 years at BYU-H, but that's 2 years more than the rest of the coaching staff combined.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
At least Quincy has coached outside of the state of Utah at some point in his career. Granted, it was 2 years at BYU-H, but that's 2 years more than the rest of the coaching staff combined.


Who needs coaches with out of state experience when the entire team has never lived outside of Utah County.
E
EM_Puma
HoosierCougar wrote:
Prior to Pope, who was the last staff member with NBA experience? I don't think Rice played or coached in the NBA... am I wrong?


Agree, but I thought he recognized such experience was beneficial and now we take a step back. If you are a top tier recruit--a teenage one to boot--doesn't it seem important to include such experience on your staff? Having the experience doesn't necessarily make you a better coach, but with Pope you had someone who has years of basketball taken to another level above college.



I went and looked at the staffs of the 2015 Final Four (Duke, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Michigan State). Wisconsin has no one on their immediate coaching staff with any NBA experience and the other three have coaches with "professional" experience, but actual NBA experience is not requisite.
W
Wolverine
The premier program in BYU's conference doesn't have anyone on their staff with NBA experience. http://www.gozags.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=90846&SPSID=627530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't seem to hurt them any in the caliber of recruit they are getting nor their success on a national level.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.