Archived Topic

x

by Mars · 12/18/2009

Advertisement
M
Mars
x
B
beauso79
Thanks for the update Mars.



Allen and Muhammad seem like long shots but they are the players BYU must start getting to have some more success in MARCH. We need some better post play. It seems like the next couple of years were going to have to go with Collinsworth, Davies and Hartsock at the 5. I'm not convinced that Anderson will be able to provide much in the post. We seem to only be able to recruit tall white guys that aren't very athletic to play the 5. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing BYU going with a smaller line-up, 6'9" centers, as long as they were TOUGH around the rim. I think Collinsworth could come in and play the 5 admirably if Rose would let him. I remember CC being TOUGH and scrappy in the paint.
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
We seem to only be able to recruit tall white guys that aren't very athletic.

:roll: I know that Loyd and Morgan aren't big at all, and Abou isn't overly tall, but Davies certainly has decent size. Though no, we don't have Shaq on our college basketball team.
Q
Qman
When is Nate Austin going to join the team?
B
beauso79
Mars wrote:
We seem to only be able to recruit tall white guys that aren't very athletic.

:roll: I know that Loyd and Morgan aren't big at all, and Abou isn't overly tall, but Davies certainly has decent size. Though no, we don't have Shaq on our college basketball team.


Post edited - Isn't Davies only 6'9 although he has one heck of a wing span
Advertisement
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
Post edited - Isn't Davies only 6'9 although he has one heck of a wing span

Yes, though he's young enough to grow another inch perhaps.
M
Mars
Qman wrote:
When is Nate Austin going to join the team?

6'9" Davies is a freshman, and may play 4 years straight.

6'10" Anderson is a sophomore.

6'8" Hartsock is a sophomore.

6'9" Collinsworth Sr returns from his mission after this season.

6'10 Michael Boswell returns from his mission after next season.

7'0" Ian Harward returns from his mission after next season.

7'0" Nate Austin returns from his mission after next season.
B
beauso79
Mars wrote:
When is Nate Austin going to join the team?

6'9" Davies is a freshman, and may play 4 years straight.

6'10" Anderson is a sophomore.

6'8" Hartsock is a sophomore.

6'9" Collinsworth Sr returns from his mission after this season.

6'10 Michael Boswell returns from his mission after next season.

7'0" Ian Harward returns from his mission after next season.

7'0" Nate Austin returns from his mission after next season.


Harward, Austin and Boswell are probably all projects. They are likely all from the same nonathletic mold. I'm not sold on Anderson, he's currently 3rd string behind a freshman. Our hope for an above average center lies in Collinsworth or Davies.
K
KYCoug
beauso79 wrote:

Harward, Austin and Boswell are probably all projects. They are likely all from the same nonathletic mold. I'm not sold on Anderson, he's currently 3rd string behind a freshman. Our hope for an above average center lies in Collinsworth or Davies.


I agree, my memory is they were all pretty thin. We need a 6'10" - 7' fire breathing meat eating animal in the middle who can own the paint. I don't care what his ethnic background is, just give us someone who who won't get blown into the cheap seats the first time he tries to set a block. We do great with the 1- 3 positions but have suffered especially in the tournament with our small ball approach. My humble opinion anyway! :roll:



Go Cougs!

L Hatton

Louisville KY
S
stuckinbig10country
Every team would like to have a 6'11" to 7'0" scoring, rebounding and shot blocking center. Its not like there is a basketball player tree behind the Marriot Center.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Every team would like to have a 6'11" to 7'0" scoring, rebounding and shot blocking center. Its not like there is a basketball player tree behind the Marriot Center.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this but Maybe...just Maybe we should be looking for our bigs somewhere other than "behind the Marriot Center" we will never really step up to the big time until we do. like they say "if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got" You look at the stable of bigs that Texas has, I don't even like Texas but they are an impressive group. I know the majority of top level D1 players wouldn't be interested in the Y but there are big time D1 players that are religious. Look at some of the D1 players in the SEC, ACC and Big12. I can't believe we couldn't convince someone the values of the Y if we tried. We are making inroads in these areas in Football, I just would like to see more from Basketball.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville KY
S
scott715
I think that is down the road. We first need to get some tourney wins to convince some of those kids to join us. It is coming though. I like the confidence of the team. Last year we had a terrible start against Texas A&M.
C
Conosticator
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Every team would like to have a 6'11" to 7'0" scoring, rebounding and shot blocking center. Its not like there is a basketball player tree behind the Marriot Center.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Crap. Did someone cut it down?
Advertisement
M
Mars
KYCoug wrote:
I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this but Maybe... just Maybe we should be looking for our bigs somewhere other than "behind the Marriot Center" we will never really step up to the big time until we do.
Yeah, because kids like Haws, Davies, and Collinsworth will NEVER help BYU crack the Top 20...



Oh, wait..... :roll:
K
KYCoug
Mars wrote:
Yeah, because kids like Haws, Davies, and Collinsworth will NEVER help BYU crack the Top 20...



Oh, wait..... :roll:


Hey, I love those guys and they have great game and potiential. Just give us 3 or 4 more of them spread through the classes. Haws and Collinsworth are more finesse players than your typical 5 position. Davies has terrific upside to his game. I guess I'm just more used to the eastern style physical inside game. But you see it all these days. Villanova beat Louisville (having a down year) last night and at times had 5 guards on the floor and they just attack, attack, attack. There were 66 fouls called and 94 freethrows attempted. It became a battle of attrition and Nova won. My point is, that's what we have faced and will continue to face when we get to the dance. With our great guard play and depth this year we are better prepared to win a couple of games than before, but to compete at the sweet 16 level and above it would be nice to have a couple of 5's who could control the paint.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville KY
B
bball
There's a guy who plays for Orlando in the NBA that cannot shoot beyond about 10 feet, he's lazy, doesn't rebound very well, but dunks and blocks shots...and everybody raves about him. Of course take a look at this guy.
C
craigoscarson
bball wrote:
There's a guy who plays for Orlando in the NBA that cannot shoot beyond about 10 feet, he's lazy, doesn't rebound very well, but dunks and blocks shots...and everybody raves about him. Of course take a look at this guy.


You mean the leading rebounder in the NBA the last 3 years?



The Moses Malone, Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Kemp, Dwight Howards don't come around very often... but their talent was never in question at that age.



That kid may very well turn out to be a good player, but there's a lot more to hoops than a 7'4" wingspan. Hopefully he develops and comes to the Y, but for now, he's just a tall kid.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.