Archived Topic

BYU's 2015 home schedule

by hawkwing · 3/23/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1IWESXpsw
S
snoscythe
I'm just going to blame this on the gall bladder thing.



;)
F
frdbtr
I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.
A
ABYUFAN
:gross:



I want my three minutes back...
M
mormonrasta
frdbtr wrote:
I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.


To clarify, get into any conference (MWC or AAC)? Or get into a P5 conference?



I'm not sure if fan attendance would be any better if we stayed in the MWC or moved to the AAC.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I think 2015 is probably going to be the worst year we'll see, after this I see Independence and scheduling working out pretty nicely, especially with the AAC and SEC deals in place.



I just had to pass this along because my boss sent it to me.
F
Fido
I can't dispute the negative feelings around the team last year with all the injuries and sub-par games in that middle stretch of the season.



However--the claim that "fan attendance is in steady decline" is an assertion I'd challenge. In the first year of independence in 2011, attendance dropped 1.78% but so did the average FBS attendance (-2.05%). Then in 2012, attendance increased 1.45% (1.05% FBS average). In 2013 attendance again increased slightly (0.10%) and tracked FBS attendance (0.51%). In 2014, BYU's attendance fell hard--6.67%. Overall FBS attendance also took a big hit--though not as big (-4.79% average).



I'm curious to see what happens in 2015 with Boise State being the only well-known team on the home slate. UConn, East Carolina, Cincinnati, and even Fresno State aren't exactly regular opponents. And Wagner will certainly not get anyone too excited. It wouldn't shock me to see the numbers not look great for 2015--but hopefully not another dip from last season.



2016 is when I expect ticket sales to rebound. UCLA, Mississippi State, and Utah State should certainly bring people into the seats. Southern Miss and UMass less so but should still be worth watching. I hope the FCS opponent goes back to being a familiar one like Weber State, Idaho State, or someone of that like who is close and can travel to games.
G
Guest
I know I'll have my season tickets as always. You only get to go to the beautiful LaVell Edwards Stadium 6 times a year. Take advantage of those precious moments. No fan has ever been on their death bed and thought I wish I hadn't attended so many games in a beautiful setting like LES.



#truefan

#cougartails

#stadiumlife
F
frdbtr
mormonrasta wrote:
I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.


To clarify, get into any conference (MWC or AAC)? Or get into a P5 conference?



I'm not sure if fan attendance would be any better if we stayed in the MWC or moved to the AAC.


BYU should never go back to the MWC, I prefer the Big 12 but frankly the American would be better than independence. If BYU were to pull off some miracle and go undefeated against the gauntlet that is our Sept schedule then attendance will be up this year even for the crap home schedule, but I still think that independence is a bad long term solution.....and so does Bronco.
M
mormonrasta
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.


To clarify, get into any conference (MWC or AAC)? Or get into a P5 conference?



I'm not sure if fan attendance would be any better if we stayed in the MWC or moved to the AAC.


BYU should never go back to the MWC, I prefer the Big 12 but frankly the American would be better than independence. If BYU were to pull off some miracle and go undefeated against the gauntlet that is our Sept schedule then attendance will be up this year even for the crap home schedule, but I still think that independence is a bad long term solution.....and so does Bronco.


I personally like independence. My only complaint is the bowl situation, but as a lifelong BYU fan playing in 2nd and 3r tier bowls has been a staple of this program's tradition. Nothing new there.



I don't agree that the AAC is better than Indy. I like playing 5-6 P5 teams plus USU and BSU each year. Trading that for 1-2 P5 teams and playing the likes of UConn, Temple and SMU each year is kind of meh, even if it means we have a better chance at a major bowl game.



I'm not sure how the AAC would be better than the MWC. At least by going back to the MWC we would play in front of our alumni base and play against familiar rivals.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
mormonrasta wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
I said for years that BYU going independent would be the death of BYU football. I kept an open mind about it when they made the announcement because EVERYONE in the media and the fan base was so excited about it. Now I see the general apathy to downright negativity in the fan base about BYU sports in general and I feel like my original feelings are true. Fan attendance is in steady decline. BYU needs to get into a conference in the next few years or we will, IMO, see the end of BYU sports.


To clarify, get into any conference (MWC or AAC)? Or get into a P5 conference?



I'm not sure if fan attendance would be any better if we stayed in the MWC or moved to the AAC.


BYU should never go back to the MWC, I prefer the Big 12 but frankly the American would be better than independence. If BYU were to pull off some miracle and go undefeated against the gauntlet that is our Sept schedule then attendance will be up this year even for the crap home schedule, but I still think that independence is a bad long term solution.....and so does Bronco.


I personally like independence. My only complaint is the bowl situation, but as a lifelong BYU fan playing in 2nd and 3r tier bowls has been a staple of this program's tradition. Nothing new there.



I don't agree that the AAC is better than Indy. I like playing 5-6 P5 teams plus USU and BSU each year. Trading that for 1-2 P5 teams and playing the likes of UConn, Temple and SMU each year is kind of meh, even if it means we have a better chance at a major bowl game.



I'm not sure how the AAC would be better than the MWC. At least by going back to the MWC we would play in front of our alumni base and play against familiar rivals.


The reason I would never want back in the MWC is because they made themselves pretty clear about how they feel about BYU when we left that conference. the AAC wants us. I like the idea of playing a bunch of p5 teams rather than temple and SMU but frankly without a conference championship to play for as soon as BYU gets its first loss of the year, the entire fan base goes postal.
C
Cougs_Rule
Just freakin win.

AAC too far away plus 2 P5 games.

MWC= BSU= NY6
A
ABYUFAN
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Just freakin win.

AAC too far away plus 2 P5 games.

MWC= BSU= NY6

You forgot

MWC= 1/2 as many football games on TV + no rebroadcasting, + 1/3 of the basketball games on TV as we have now. AND no guarantee that we get a NY6 bowl by winning that conference championship.



I still don't get the "we got nothing to play for after the first loss" argument. If we really have nothing to play for after our first loss other than a conference championship, we need to drop the football program.



I have about a hundred articles of BYU clothing, banners, paraphernalia, etc and zero of them claim "conference champion" It's not a big deal. I'm tired of fans (and mostly people who hate the school) pretending that it is a big deal.
1
1967cougar
I am amazed at the number of people who leave a bad room, shut the door, and then want to go back into that room knowing that nothing has changed.
F
frdbtr
ABYUFAN wrote:
Just freakin win.

AAC too far away plus 2 P5 games.

MWC= BSU= NY6

You forgot

MWC= 1/2 as many football games on TV + no rebroadcasting, + 1/3 of the basketball games on TV as we have now. AND no guarantee that we get a NY6 bowl by winning that conference championship.



I still don't get the "we got nothing to play for after the first loss" argument. If we really have nothing to play for after our first loss other than a conference championship, we need to drop the football program.



I have about a hundred articles of BYU clothing, banners, paraphernalia, etc and zero of them claim "conference champion" It's not a big deal. I'm tired of fans (and mostly people who hate the school) pretending that it is a big deal.


I love BYU football and I love watching all the games. I hate watching a loss, it is frustrating and makes me angry. My point about championships is I watch what happens to the BYU fan base after the 1st loss of the year since independence and it feels like the collective BYU fan base wants to blow its brains out and everyone talks about how the season has no more meaning. When we were in the WAC and MWC the fan base talked about winning the conference, it became the calling card, what was most important. I never want to be back in the MWC but I feel BYU needs a conference. It will give meaning to the season after the 1st loss. BYU has had 1 undefeated season in its history, I don't expect another one anytime soon so being able to win a championship outside of being undefeated would IMO save BYU football from its own fans.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
frdbtr wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Just freakin win.

AAC too far away plus 2 P5 games.

MWC= BSU= NY6

You forgot

MWC= 1/2 as many football games on TV + no rebroadcasting, + 1/3 of the basketball games on TV as we have now. AND no guarantee that we get a NY6 bowl by winning that conference championship.



I still don't get the "we got nothing to play for after the first loss" argument. If we really have nothing to play for after our first loss other than a conference championship, we need to drop the football program.



I have about a hundred articles of BYU clothing, banners, paraphernalia, etc and zero of them claim "conference champion" It's not a big deal. I'm tired of fans (and mostly people who hate the school) pretending that it is a big deal.


I love BYU football and I love watching all the games. I hate watching a loss, it is frustrating and makes me angry. My point about championships is I watch what happens to the BYU fan base after the 1st loss of the year since independence and it feels like the collective BYU fan base wants to blow its brains out and everyone talks about how the season has no more meaning. When we were in the WAC and MWC the fan base talked about winning the conference, it became the calling card, what was most important. I never want to be back in the MWC but I feel BYU needs a conference. It will give meaning to the season after the 1st loss. BYU has had 1 undefeated season in its history, I don't expect another one anytime soon so being able to win a championship outside of being undefeated would IMO save BYU football from its own fans.


We're probably on the same page with this. Every fan that I hear talk about a conference championship I ask where their conference championship gear is - or do they just pretend to care about it. For what it's worth, in California I see more Ute fans than BYU fans caring about BYU's lack of an opportunity to win a conference championship.
Y
YNot
IMO, BYU can still make independence work in the long run.



It may take 10 years, but the CFP will eventually grow to the top 8 teams. That alone will increase BYU's likelihood to reach the playoff or a New Year's bowl game, conference or no.



After the current bowl/contract cycle, I think we will see BYU's bowl options expand. The bowls are already more flexible than just 3 or 4 years ago. I think we eventually see BYU having access to multiple bowl games each season - Las Vegas, Poinsettia, Hawaii, Miami Beach, Armed Forces, etc. May be not all those bowls every season, but 2 or 3 options each season. This variation will give BYU that something to play for, even without a conference championship - ie, BYU can be selected to play the PAC 12 in Las Vegas, MWC in Poinsettia, or C-USA in Armed Forces bowl, depending on how well they do that year. The next year, they play a top AAC team in Miami or MWC in Hawaii, depending on how the Cougar perform during the season.



But, if a football conference is desirable, I actually wouldn't mind to be part of an expanded American. Have some western partners, including an in-conference rivalry with Boise St., and play teams in virtually every corner of the country. The basketball could be superb.
S
snoscythe
C'mon guys, everyone knows playing for a top-25 ranking and national respect are "nothing".
W
Wolverine
It is a fact that conference membership isn't once what it was. No more Nebraska vs Oklahoma, Texas vs Texas A&M, BYU vs Utah, etc. I am one who misses being in a conference, though I don't see going back to the MWC as a realistic option at this point. I don't buy into the "nothing to play for" argument after an early season loss as the goal is always to be nationally ranked and competitive throughout the course of the season. One thing that conference membership did for me was give me a reason to follow more closely the other teams in the conference. I always enjoyed taking an interest in the success and outcomes of other teams in the conference and the impact it could have on BYU's relative success as well. I realize I am old school and wax nostalgic way too much, but there are definitely things I miss about being in a conference.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Two loss LSU won the national championship in 2007. A one-loss BYU would still be considered in the mix, somewhere. Especially one early in the season, like in September, and against a team who will likely do well against a difficult conference.



I think we contend in 2015.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.