Archived Topic

Rate Coach Dave Rose

by hawkwing · 3/12/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
Lets rate Dave Rose among all active coaches on a scale of 1-10.

1 - In the group of absolute worst active coaches.

...

5 - In the group of average coaches.

...

10 - In the group of the best coaches in the country.
G
Guest
I put 7, Rose is clearly above average but certainly not elite, so he falls somewhere in that 6-8 range. Several good years show he's better than 6, but the inability to win a conference championship hurt. It's also fair to say he's not the best coach in the WCC or in the state of Utah, so that puts him in the 7 range for me.
W
Wolverine
I gave Coach Rose an 8 and would have given him an 8.5 if it was an option. Here is a list of the Top 25 active coaches by win percentage.



BY PERCENTAGE

No. Coach School Yrs. Won Lost Pct.

1. Mark Few......................... Gonzaga ............................................... 14 374 93 .801

2. Roy Williams .................. North Carolina ................................... 25 700 180 .795

3. Thad Matta ..................... Ohio St. .................................................. 13 352 104 .772

4. Mike Krzyzewski .......... Duke ....................................................... 38 957 297 .763

5. John Calipari .................. Kentucky............................................... 21 526 164 .762

6. Dave Rose ....................... BYU ......................................................... 8 209 66 .760

7. Bo Ryan ............................ Wisconsin ............................................. 29 674 216 .757

8. Bill Self .............................. Kansas .................................................... 20 507 164 .756

9. Jamie Dixon ................... Pittsburgh ............................................ 10 262 86 .753

10. Jim Boeheim .................. Syracuse ................................................ 37 920 314 .746

11. Rick Pitino ....................... Louisville ............................................... 28 664 239 .735

12. Bob Huggins.................. West Virginia ....................................... 31 723 286 .717

13. Tom Izzo .......................... Michigan St. ........................................ 18 439 178 .712

14. Larry Brown ................... SMU ........................................................ 8 187 77 .708

15. Billy Donovan ................ Florida .................................................... 19 450 186 .708

16. Danny Kaspar ................ Texas St. ................................................ 22 465 193 .707

17. Sean Miller ...................... Arizona .................................................. 9 216 90 .706

18. Tubby Smith .................. Texas Tech ............................................ 22 511 226 .693

19. Stew Morrill .................... Utah St. .................................................. 27 584 267 .686

20. Gregg Marshall ............. Wichita St. ............................................ 15 333 153 .685

21. Mike Montgomery ...... California .............................................. 31 656 303 .684

22. John Thompson III ...... Georgetown ........................................ 13 277 131 .679

23. Randy Bennett .............. St. Mary’s (CA) .................................... 12 263 125 .678

24. Anthony Grant .............. Alabama ............................................... 7 162 77 .678

25. Bruce Weber .................. Kansas St. ............................................. 15 340 163 .676
G
Gunk
Gave him an 8.



On a side note, the team we lost to on Tuesday is coached by arguably the best coach in the NCAA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
I gave him a 9. I figure that there are 331 or so division one coaches, and there aren't 34 better coaches than him, so he's a top 10%er in my book.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I gave him an eight. He'd easily be a nine if he could figure out how to win a conference tourney.
B
Brayden Green
Gave him an 8. He is in the elite range (9-10), but he makes weird personnel decisions sometimes, and sometimes doesn't have late game management on his mind, and also the Carlino stuff still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Benching the alltime assists per game leader at BYU and the All Big East 2nd team player (Carlino) for some guy destined to sell cars (Cusick) for an entire season was a weird move, and set the program back a few years. With the recruits he has coming, he'll be a 9 or 10 in a short while. I too, would have given a 8.5 if given the option. He is elite, and considering the "talent" he has had post Jimmer at 80% of his positions due to injury, it is something. He plays anyone that we can schedule, and - unlike some guys in Utah - ***Cough, Morrill, COUGH*** actually leaves his building to play teams under 100 rpi.
B
BroncoBot
that's my vote next to 10



I did take into consideration the pool he has to recruit from and the limitations that are BYU. Couldn't really ask for a better coach at BYU and he's as consistent as anyone out there. Very impressed with the way he turned this team around from the first half of the year until now.
M
Mars


I gave him an 8. Even though hawkwing told me not to. ;)
B
Brayden Green
I think it's interesting Hawk thinks that Coach Krystko is a better coach than Rose, and that we all skated right by that. If Rose had the ensemble that Krystko does, he'd have them in the top 10. It's just not the same recruiting for the WCC vs the Pac 12. I mean, Utah has 2 probable lottery picks playing right now as it is. BYU's two best players probably won't get drafted in the first round, (and it still isnt a goven that either gets drafted. There is still a lot of work to do for both).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Screamineagle
I gave him a 9. I like Him and I am glad we have Him and I think He does a great job.I really enjoyed watching Him throw His coat.I like the fact He got mad.
G
Guest
Screamineagle wrote:
I gave him a 9. I like Him and I am glad we have Him and I think He does a great job.I really enjoyed watching Him throw His coat.I like the fact He got mad.

I like that too. Good to see some passion out of him.
G
Guest
I'd be honestly surprised if anyone would seriously sit down and consider Rose a better coach than Krysto. It's not necessarily a huge difference, but Krysto has taken the Utes from absolute disaster to top 20 in a handful of years.



Rose does have one clear vote in his favor, a consistent longevity. Rose always has BYU playing in the top half of his conference, but never well enough to get to the top.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:


I gave him an 8. Even though hawkwing told me not to. ;)

You'll be punished at the next podcast.
B
Brayden Green
We shared regular season victory in 2011 with SDSU as Co champs, and we lost to them when Davies was discovered and held out that tournament. we went to the sweet 16. That team was special.



He inherited a team 9-21 and immediately turned it around to 20-9 with another 6 subsequent 20 win seasons, in the tough MWC which was rated the 4th or 5th best conference in the league by many over that span.



Then the move to the crappy WCC led to a negative impact on recruiting, and he made a couple bad decisions and dealt with injuries. I would contend that Krystko is a better coach, for sure. Again, Rose with the same athletes would be posting the same results. You'll see in a few years when the Lone Peak kids come to ball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Brayden Green wrote:
Then the move to the crappy WCC led to a negative impact on recruiting, and he made a couple bad decisions and dealt with injuries. I would contend that Krystko is a better coach, for sure. Again, Rose with the same athletes would be posting the same results. You'll see in a few years when the Lone Peak kids come to ball.


So, if he was a better recruiter like Krystowionzkciaki, he would be a better coach like Krystowainoiodagkakdacki?



;) I kid.
G
Guest
Brayden Green wrote:
Then the move to the crappy WCC led to a negative impact on recruiting, and he made a couple bad decisions and dealt with injuries. I would contend that Krystko is a better coach, for sure. Again, Rose with the same athletes would be posting the same results. You'll see in a few years when the Lone Peak kids come to ball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What recruits have we lost going to the WCC?
S
Screamineagle
We always talk about all the limitations of getting kids to BYU Honor Code Etc.If Rose were at Utah and Krysto or whatever his name is was at BYU who would have the better record? Who would be the better coach? All hypothetical I know but interesting to think about.Thoughts?
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
Then the move to the crappy WCC led to a negative impact on recruiting, and he made a couple bad decisions and dealt with injuries. I would contend that Krystko is a better coach, for sure. Again, Rose with the same athletes would be posting the same results. You'll see in a few years when the Lone Peak kids come to ball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What recruits have we lost going to the WCC?

My thought exactly. We hear that from folks but I beleive it to be absolutly untrue! If anything, I beleive that we have a better time recruiting in the WCC because folks see our games so much more than the MWC days.



I think our toe stubbing in the WCC is not so much because of recruiting, but because we have to learn about a lot of more teams, while they only have to learn about one new guy. They'll have an easier adjustment than us. Once settled in, we'll see fewer losses.
G
Guest
Screamineagle wrote:
We always talk about all the limitations of getting kids to BYU Honor Code Etc.If Rose were at Utah and Krysto or whatever his name is was at BYU who would have the better record? Who would be the better coach? All hypothetical I know but interesting to think about.Thoughts?


Good thoughts, I honestly don't believe that Rose would have a better record at Utah than Krysto.



I like to think of it like if Kentucky, Indiana, Duke or North Carolina decided to pick their next head coach from Utah, who would they take. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.