Archived Topic

RPI/Playoff Seeding

by Alphaleonis · 3/11/2015

Advertisement
A
Alphaleonis
Could someone please explain to me how BYU with a current RPI rank of 43 after the loss last night, is supposedly going to be in a play in game in the big tournament?



I grew up in Louisiana, and have always been an LSU fan, in football since the Billy Cannon days in the late 50's and since the Pistol Pete days in basketball. So when I saw that LSU is penciled in as a 10 seed, I looked back at the RPI rankings and saw that they were ranked 5 spots below BYU at 48, with a worse record and an easier schedule.



I look at this comparison this every year, and every year BYU has a tournament seeding below what their RPI merits. Every Year!!!



What's up????
Q
Qman
RPI is selectively used. I am not familiar with LSU's season but from espn's bubble watch:



http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


LSU [22-9 (11-7), RPI: 48, SOS: 88] We've gone back and forth on Arkansas. At times, we've been impressed by a great, up-tempo, Bobby Portis-led offensive attack. At other times, we've been disappointed by a seventh-ranked SEC defense that suffers the classic pressing weakness: an inability to get stops when it can't turn opponents over. The Razorbacks are either underrated or overrated. We can't decide. One thing we do know? The RPI loves the Hogs. That makes LSU's recent win in Fayetteville look even better on its résumé. How does a team lose at home to Tennessee on Wednesday and win at Arkansas on Saturday? Matchups, maybe, but that kind of inconsistency -- being able to beat West Virginia and Ole Miss on the road and lose to Missouri, Mississippi State and Auburn -- is what makes a bubble team a bubble team in the first place. The best hope is that the good eventually outweighs the bad. LSU tipped those scales in its favor one last time Saturday. The Tigers are not a lock, but they should be OK.


Sounds like they have move high rpi road wins. If BYU had gotten San Diego St or Purdue early in the year it would be very different.



Oh and also one of the play-in game is for 12 seeds as I recall. LSU being a 10 and BYU being a 12 seems reasonable.
S
scott715
Let me point out there are like six different RPI numbers out there. Probably more. Can't say we are a better team based on one RPI number.
A
Alphaleonis
Yes, I checked several other computerized College BBall rating sites. 43 was actually the lowest we were rated (ESPN's RPI). The highest was 29th (Pomeroy). Average of 9 different ratings was 35.2.



Theoretically, you would divide the rating by 4 to get your seed in the tournament. That would give us a seed of 9. Not a play in game.



I've done this for years, averaging several different rating sites, and BYU is always 2-4 seeds below their deserved seed.



If we were sometimes below and sometimes above our earned seed, I would say OK - law of averages. But every time for several years in a row 2-4 seedings below what we have earned deserves a complaint to someone.
B
BroncoBot
Alphaleonis wrote:
Yes, I checked several other computerized College BBall rating sites. 43 was actually the lowest we were rated (ESPN's RPI). The highest was 29th (Pomeroy). Average of 9 different ratings was 35.2.



Theoretically, you would divide the rating by 4 to get your seed in the tournament. That would give us a seed of 9. Not a play in game.



I've done this for years, averaging several different rating sites, and BYU is always 2-4 seeds below their deserved seed.



If we were sometimes below and sometimes above our earned seed, I would say OK - law of averages. But every time for several years in a row 2-4 seedings below what we have earned deserves a complaint to someone.

Watch out for the black helicopters bro... ;)
Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
BYU gets punished for it's no Sunday play. The committee has said that in the past they will move BYU down for it never up for it. Seems pretty unfair if u ask me.
A
Alphaleonis
Broncobot - if I were concerned with black, green, red or red white and blue helicopters, I would not be openly posting anything about this on a public site. I would be doing something in secret. So take off your tin foil hat and quit seeing a conspiracy here.



Do I see unfairness? Yes. Can anything be done about it? Yes. I think some kind of protest is in order - perhaps by Tom Holmoe. BYU should not be punished by the selection committee for non Sunday play. And being dropped from a 9 seed to a play in game is excessive punishment, even if we deserved some kind of punishment, which we don't.



Don't half the brackets have Sunday play, and the other half not? How much extra work does the committee really have to do to put BYU in the non Sunday bracket? If I were Tom Holmoe, I would formally protest each year that we were "punished" for non Sunday play.



But we haven't been punished this year - YET. I am only going on past history, and Lunardi's bracketology. I have seen some bracketology sites that have us as high as a 10 seed.
S
scott715
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/jerry-palm-reader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



How the Cougars Can Boost Their RPI Today?



Massachusetts needs to beat La Salle

Game Info: 9:00 AM | TV: NBCS



Utah State needs to beat Wyoming

Game Info: 2:30 PM | TV: CBS Sports Network



Arkansas-Little Rock needs to beat South Alabama

Game Info: 5:30 PM | TV: ESP3



San Diego State needs to beat UNLV

Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: CBS Sports Network



Weber State needs to beat Montana

Game Info: 7:00 PM
K
kjjson
scott715 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/jerry-palm-reader



How the Cougars Can Boost Their RPI Today?



Massachusetts needs to beat La Salle

Game Info: 9:00 AM | TV: NBCS



Utah State needs to beat Wyoming

Game Info: 2:30 PM | TV: CBS Sports Network



Arkansas-Little Rock needs to beat South Alabama

Game Info: 5:30 PM | TV: ESP3



San Diego State needs to beat UNLV

Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: CBS Sports Network



Weber State needs to beat Montana

Game Info: 7:00 PM




So I noticed they don't have Stanford vs. :utard: Is that because we played both of them? Any chance that with a win, Stanford would move to a "Top 50 RPI"? (ESPN has them at 54 right now). Is it better for our loss to :utard: be against a better team, or for our win against Stanford to be better?
S
scott715
We don't want Stanford to pass us. I would take a Stanford win and then lose the next round.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.