Archived Topic

New Director of Football Operations

by scott715 · 3/10/2015

Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
scott715 wrote:
http://byucougars.com/staff/m-football/patrick-hickman



Patrick Hickman got a promotion.


Very nonplussed by this internal promotion. This guy hasn't even made anyone's twitter feed. Ughhh. :~( :sulk:



In fairness, though, I felt the same way about Bronco's hire initially and have happily eaten crow for the last ten years.



On the other hand, the last few internal promotion's Bronco's made haven't turned out too well--Jaime Hill, Brandon Doman, Nick Howell. Goes all the way back to Omer the dinosaur.



I just hope this was Holmoe's call more than Bronco's. Bronco puts more stock in loyalty than in competence. Bush Jr had the same problem.
G
Guest
Someone hired Geoff Martzen when no one had ever heard of him before, and he turned out alright.
C
CrimsonCoug
True, and same with our new S&E coach who seems to be pushing the team's conditioning forward by leaps and bounds--at the very least they're now motivated to do workouts.



But neither of those were internal promotions. Seems like if he were really pushing progress, we at least would have heard of him by now.



This seems like a desperation/play-it-safe/reward loyalty hire rather than hiring on merits or potential upside.



REALLY hoping he turns out as well as Martzen. But if I recall, he's replacing Zach Nyborg who went to re-join Gary Anderson at Oregon State. Both of those guys will be missed.
S
SpiffCoug
Isn't a full time recruiting coordinator a relatively recent allowance by the NCA? Seems like Martzen was the first one. He seemed like such an upgrade from previous coordinators and efforts because he wasn't a coach with other, and to a certain extent, more important responsibilities.



Being able to solely focus on recruiting great success Matrzen and should similarly benefit Hickman.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Wow, guys. You've all missed the boat on this one.



Hickman is not the "recruiting coordinator"/new Geoff Martzen. That's a separate position that has yet to announce the new hire, tho the listing has been removed so I guess it's just a matter of time..



Instead, Hickman is a hire/promotion for the "Director of Football Operations"/new Duane Busby/Nyborg. The position is more to be Bronco's fixer/gopher/omnipresent-ears. I would be worried if this position did not come from within the AD office or someone Bronco knew very well.
G
Guest
My bad, I misread the original post.
S
SpiffCoug
So he is the new sock man?
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
So he is the new sock man?


Yes. You can get "thigh highs" on request. ;)
S
scott715
They don't have socks anymore due to sockgate.
Advertisement
M
Mars
CrimsonCoug wrote:
http://byucougars.com/staff/m-football/patrick-hickman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Patrick Hickman got a promotion.
Very nonplussed by this internal promotion. This guy hasn't even made anyone's twitter feed. Ughhh. :~( :sulk:

I've followed him for, like, 2 years now. :D
C
CrimsonCoug
snoscythe wrote:
Wow, guys. You've all missed the boat on this one.



Hickman is not the "recruiting coordinator"/new Geoff Martzen. That's a separate position that has yet to announce the new hire, tho the listing has been removed so I guess it's just a matter of time..



Instead, Hickman is a hire/promotion for the "Director of Football Operations"/new Duane Busby/Nyborg. The position is more to be Bronco's fixer/gopher/omnipresent-ears. I would be worried if this position did not come from within the AD office or someone Bronco knew very well.


Yeah, I misunderstoodimated at first on that one. And I didn't put it together that he's the new Duane Busby even though I realized that he was the new Nyborg.



Makes sense that he's internal. Makes sense if he keeps a low social media profile. He's a nark/plumber.



My apologies to Mr Hickman. truly!



Guess I'm still sore that we lost Martzen (and Nyborg).







...so, Mars, how's that twitter feed?
M
Mars
CrimsonCoug wrote:
...so, Mars, how's that twitter feed?

I guess I lied. Haha.



https://twitter.com/patrickhickman9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
CrimsonCoug
Mars wrote:
...so, Mars, how's that twitter feed?

I guess I lied. Haha.



https://twitter.com/patrickhickman9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


That's pretty funny, right there!

:lol:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.