Archived Topic

Looking KC as a NBA prospect

by Qman · 3/9/2015

Advertisement
Q
Qman
I love Kyle Collinsworth for BYU, but I am primarily a NBA fan. So I thought it would be fun to try and breakdown KC as a prospect.



Kyle Collinsworth

23 years old

6'6" guard/forward

210 lbs



http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kyle-collinsworth-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Pros-

Good size, strength and overall athletic ability-- Average to slight above average for his size

Averages over 8 rpg as a wing

Averages 1.9 steals

Subjectively has very quick strong hands

Good feel for game, averages 5.7 apg and 2.8 topg

Good finisher at college level around the rim 50% on 2 pt shots

Great intangibles and work ethic-returned from ACL tear in 7 months

Historically great junior season with 5 triple-doubles



Cons-

Serious injury history

Little to no pull-up jumper

Not a 3 pt shooter. Not even a little. 25% 3PT on less than 1 attempt per game.

Has an strange shooting motion that is a little jerky. He has improved his shooting mechanics from sophomore to junior years-- needs to take another big step.

He is 23 years old with 2 years off for LDS mission. How much of his success is due to being older?

What is his NBA position? Doesn't stretch the floor. Is he a point forward in the NBA?

He doesn't get separation on his dribble moves. He just gets guys on his hip uses his strength.

Will he continue to overpower guys?



Current Draft Outlook-

If he came out this year he would certainly be undrafted.



He will be the undisputed star of his team in his senior season. He needs to show everyone he can hit some mid-range shots,3 pt shots and continue his all around game. If he wants to be ball-handler in the NBA, then he needs to show some better use of the pick and roll.
E
EM_Puma
What has impressed me the most is that he saw one of his short suits--foul shooting, and he markedly improved with work and possibly coaching. I would hope that he could further progress with a mid-range shot. I don't know enough of mechanics why he hasn't progressed further with a 3 point shot, even if he didn't use it often.



I don't know. It's been so long since we've had a player that really became a NBA contributor for a whole career that it's not easy to project. I really thought Jimmer would find a niche, but he hasn't as of yet.
Q
Qman
EM_Puma wrote:
What has impressed me the most is that he saw one of his short suits--foul shooting, and he markedly improved with work and possibly coaching. I would hope that he could further progress with a mid-range shot. I don't know enough of mechanics why he hasn't progressed further with a 3 point shot, even if he didn't use it often.



I don't know. It's been so long since we've had a player that really became a NBA contributor for a whole career that it's not easy to project. I really thought Jimmer would find a niche, but he hasn't as of yet.


KC has enough size and athletic ability. Now he needs to improve his overall skill level. Kaufusi and Mika also will have real shots at the NBA in the future.
N
nuk13
KC has enough size and athletic ability. Now he needs to improve his overall skill level. Kaufusi and Mika also will have real shots at the NBA in the future.[/quote]



Dito that.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.