Archived Topic

Future uses for ribbon board

by Ungoy · 3/3/2015

Advertisement
U
Ungoy
I saw this on the other board, and thought it merited mention here as well. Sounds like BYU has upgraded the software controlling the ribbon boards. This will allow them to devote 1/3 of the boards for use in displaying stats/scores. BYU upgraded the software to allow that functionality. Hopefully this is true, and if so, AWESOME.



The post also indicated that BYU is working on connectivity (cell/wifi service) and an ingame app to allow fans to pull up replays on their phones and such.



These additions would be very welcome in the LES game day experience.



http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=13784851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Y
YNot
Hooray! I specially mentioned this in some detail in my game day survey. Looks like I wasn't the only one!
S
Stirfry
This is great news. And one of those almost to amazing to believe issues that you'd hear from your boss that the reason has to do with software. I'm no computer guy but I'd think you could run split screens/ribbons with an ipad. Oh well it's fixed.



Any word on the one directional speakers?
S
snoscythe
The in-game app as you described it will be some time in the making. BYU cannot offer those replays for streaming outside of LES due to broadcast rights/restrictions, so it has to limit replay streaming to fans inside LES. The only way broadcast partners have permitted to-date is to allow the replays to be streamed on devices connected to the stadium's own wi-fi network.



So BYU has to create its own wifi network capable of handling all the data the fans in the stadium will demand before it can launch the app. (Which brings up another point--if you can barely get a text to send in LES currently, how helpful do you think a streaming app is really going to be without LES-based wifi?) Other schools have partnered with an "official internet provider" or such to have them build and service the wifi network in exchange for the promotion. BYU likes to promote corporate partners, so I would expect to see something like that.
E
EM_Puma
YNot wrote:
Hooray! I specially mentioned this in some detail in my game day survey. Looks like I wasn't the only one!


I did too and I think this topic is keen to a lot of those that attend the games.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
snoscythe wrote:
The in-game app as you described it will be some time in the making. BYU cannot offer those replays for streaming outside of LES due to broadcast rights/restrictions, so it has to limit replay streaming to fans inside LES. The only way broadcast partners have permitted to-date is to allow the replays to be streamed on devices connected to the stadium's own wi-fi network.



So BYU has to create its own wifi network capable of handling all the data the fans in the stadium will demand before it can launch the app. (Which brings up another point--if you can barely get a text to send in LES currently, how helpful do you think a streaming app is really going to be without LES-based wifi?) Other schools have partnered with an "official internet provider" or such to have them build and service the wifi network in exchange for the promotion. BYU likes to promote corporate partners, so I would expect to see something like that.


Google Fiber? Seems like they'd be a natural fit. And this is the sort of thing I can see our google overlords wanting to delve into.
S
snoscythe
CrimsonCoug wrote:
The in-game app as you described it will be some time in the making. BYU cannot offer those replays for streaming outside of LES due to broadcast rights/restrictions, so it has to limit replay streaming to fans inside LES. The only way broadcast partners have permitted to-date is to allow the replays to be streamed on devices connected to the stadium's own wi-fi network.



So BYU has to create its own wifi network capable of handling all the data the fans in the stadium will demand before it can launch the app. (Which brings up another point--if you can barely get a text to send in LES currently, how helpful do you think a streaming app is really going to be without LES-based wifi?) Other schools have partnered with an "official internet provider" or such to have them build and service the wifi network in exchange for the promotion. BYU likes to promote corporate partners, so I would expect to see something like that.


Google Fiber? Seems like they'd be a natural fit. And this is the sort of thing I can see our google overlords wanting to delve into.


I've suggested Google to Holmoe in the past and even sent him press releases and other information about Baylor's wifi and in-game app.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.