Archived Topic

Pangos WCC player of the year?

by ABYUFAN · 3/3/2015

Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
:skeptic: Yeah, that NCAA record that he set this year is very impressive (oh wait, he didn't set any...) :roll:



Couldn't they just give him a "lifetime achievement" award or something and give the award to someone who actually WAS the player of the year?



Were Collinsworth's chances hurt because Haws won it last year, and folks didn't want a Cougar to win it two years in a row?
C
Cougs_Rule
What a joke.

I would be willing to bet some money that the WCC didn't want to have two years in a row where they gave POY to BYU players in both men's and women's.

The alternative? Give it to the guy who's been here the longest. Bingos!
B
BoiseBYU
Bottom line: is there ONE WCC coach who would take Pangos over KC if given the chance in putting a team together? No
S
scott715
It may be that Haws and KC took votes away from each other. It could be due to their top 5 ranking and winning the conference.
B
BYULV
Kinda of a joke. He's a solid player, but not the best player in the league and probably not the best player on Gonzaga's team either.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Meh, they picked a player on the team that finished #1. Not a big surprise.
E
EM_Puma
I'm sorry, but 10 1st team players is stupid. There should only be 5 and then go to a 2nd team and then a 3rd. I have a problem too with 6 Zag players on the 1st and 2nd team. So how did Mark Few become COY then? Apparently he didn't have to do anything but show up if 6 of the top 15 players were on his team. He must have been on cruise control.



Maybe it's a bit of sour grapes at seeing:

Player of the Year: Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga

Coach of the Year: Mark Few, Gonzaga

Defensive Player of the Year: Gary Bell, Jr., Gonzaga

Newcomer of the Year: Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga



I feel like Marcia Brady: GONZAGA! GONZAGA! GONZAGA.
G
Gunk
Pangos is overrated. He's a solid guard, but nothing sensational. Is he the best player in the conference? Not even close. Voters weren't going to give it to Haws again and they more than likely didn't want to give it to a BYU player two years in a row; so, I get giving it to a Zag, but Pangos? Pangos isn't even the best player on his team...



Pangos:

11.6 pts/game; 5 assists/game; 2.8 rebounds; 1.3 steals; 46% FG; 44% 3PG; 83% FT



Wiltjer:

16.5 pts/game; 1.9 assists; 5.7 rebounds; 0.5 steals; 53% FG%; 45% 3PG; 80% FT



KC:

13.5 pts/game; 5.8 assists; 8.6 rebounds; 1.9 steals; 48% FG%; 25% 3PG; 73% FT



A case could be made that Wiltjer is better than Pangos. Even then, if I got to pick having Pangos or Karnowski on my team, I pick Karnowski.



KC beats Pangos in every category except shooting 3s and free-throws. KC won POW honors more than any WCC player this year; yet, somehow he isn't the POY. Thanks for the motivation, WCC.
B
Brayden Green
I felt like 10 players for 1st team was stupid too. It felt like a participation trophy event. Congrats to Kyle, he deserved it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
I Guess it could be sour grapes, but I think people outside of a conference looking at a list of POY recipients from all the conferences should be somewhat wowed by the conference POY. Anyone looking at Pangos' stat line is going to wonder what kind of lame conference's best player has that stat line? I could be impressed with Wiltser, Collinsworth, haws, Waldow, etc, but not Pangos.



Besides, isn't this the NCAA (NATIONAL Collegiate Athletic Association)? Pangos isn't even from this Nation, he's Canadian, that should automatically disqualify him ;)
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Pangos' award should be more along the lines of a WCC Lifetime Achievement Award and not POY.
S
snoscythe
I don't have an issue with the Pangos selection. Best player on the best team making a run for a #1 seed? Yeah, he's not the scoring leader, but he's GU's Collinsworth--the guy who does everything to make everyone else better. If you're looking for a stat that makes him stand out, his assist-to-turnover ratio at the point position is an impressive 3.67 this year--he was #1 in the nation with that ratio before it dipped in Saturday's game.



Do I think Haws of KC were more deserving? Yes, but I'm not convinced of that. I watched every BYU game and I've only watched three Gonzaga games this year, so I don't have a problem when the coaches who've watched tape on all of GU's and BYU's games see it differently.
S
snoscythe
According to the broadcast tonight, each coach only got to nominate one player for POY consideration and Rose nominated Haws, so KC was not an option for the vote.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
snoscythe wrote:
According to the broadcast tonight, each coach only got to nominate one player for POY consideration and Rose nominated Haws, so KC was not an option for the vote.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I thought they said Rose may have nominated Haws which would have taken KC out of consideration. I am guessing only the conference caches know for sure.
B
BoiseBYU
It is just silly that Pangos is POY.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Pangos has to feel like a chump.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
According to the broadcast tonight, each coach only got to nominate one player for POY consideration and Rose nominated Haws, so KC was not an option for the vote.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

If so, then it looks like Rose was going for the same WCC Lifetime Achievement POY Award that Mark Few was going after as well.



In both cases, the coach nominated the wrong player. Neither Pangos nor Haws were the best player on their team. Those were Wiltjer and Collinsworth.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.