Archived Topic

Mendenhall talks discipline from the bowl brawl

by Fido · 3/2/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=33673370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall will use spring practices to focus on discipline for the 2015 BYU football squad, a move that comes in part from the team’s involvement in a post-game brawl following a loss to Memphis in the Miami Beach Bowl in December.



The head coach said around 10 players will be disciplined for their role in the ruckus, but most of them will see the punishment trickle out as the team gets closer to their first game of the season at Nebraska.



“There’s a point, just with having a chance to reflect on the season ending, where we decided to focus on three words: accountability, discipline and effort,” Mendenhall said. “That really gets you through difficult times and difficult games. I don’t think I challenged the team enough to where they could be disciplined, regardless of circumstance.”
S
snoscythe
[Patrick Kinahan ingests hat]
F
Fido
snoscythe wrote:
[Patrick Kinahan ingests hat]

I love that they didn't release the information through him when he wanted it. :lol:
M
Matty-B
The thing that stood out most to me in this article... Our backup qb is a tight end.

How the hell does that happen? When is Mangum due back on campus?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Matty-B wrote:
The thing that stood out most to me in this article... Our backup qb is a tight end.

How the hell does that happen? When is Mangum due back on campus?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Tanner Mangum, Beau Hoge, and Koy Detmer, Jr. (all true freshmen) will all be in fall camp. For spring ball, they only have Taysom Hill (who will be used sparingly), McCoy Hill, and walk on Hunter Moore. Both M. Hill and Moore are true Sophomores who got in the Savannah State game last year. But behind Taysom the QB position is very inexperienced.



It is a result of having a couple of guys transfer out of the program or leave on missions (Jake Heaps, Billy Green, Hayden Griffits --mission) and they didn't have enough other guys in reserve.
Advertisement
S
scott715
And Hostick choosing to sign with no one.
S
Stirfry
Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?
S
Stirfry
Stirfry wrote:
Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?


Can I answer my own question? Apparently(according rumorboard) CStew's 5-year clock wont expire until after Spring practice and he's agreed to be a practice QB. If true that's pretty cool. I hate that Taysom got hurt but I'm really glad Stew saw the reward for all the work he put in.
C
Cougarfan87
Stirfry wrote:
Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?


I don't see why he couldn't. I see coaches throwing balls to players all the time.
C
Cougarfan87
Stirfry wrote:
Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?


Can I answer my own question? Apparently(according rumorboard) CStew's 5-year clock wont expire until after Spring practice and he's agreed to be a practice QB. If true that's pretty cool. I hate that Taysom got hurt but I'm really glad Stew saw the reward for all the work he put in.


CStew is a stud. Very unselfish and a team guy all the way. I am glad he decided to come to BYU.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
Is Jason Beck allowed to be used as a QB in practice? With Taysom being limited and their only being 2 other guys who throws to all the receivers and tight ends to get them enough reps?


Can I answer my own question? Apparently(according rumorboard) CStew's 5-year clock wont expire until after Spring practice and he's agreed to be a practice QB. If true that's pretty cool. I hate that Taysom got hurt but I'm really glad Stew saw the reward for all the work he put in.


CStew is a stud. Very unselfish and a team guy all the way. I am glad he decided to come to BYU.

Stewart and Halford have made this last BYU sports year fun! Both come across as everyday guys who made good by sticking with it, and shining when their oportunity came. Had Hill not gotten hurt, or Carlino stayed, we might not have seen as much of these two as we did; but these two got their chance, they earned it, and they owned it (as my teenagers say) like a boss!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.