Archived Topic

What's up with Lunardi?

by MesaCougFan · 3/1/2015

Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
Apparently we are now only a first four out in his eyes! Statistically we have proven it, eye test we have proven it! What is it going to take?



Dare I say that this win was the biggest win in the history of BYU Sports? Yes I said sports. Bigger than Miami, Bigger than Oklahoma, Bigger than a several loss Michigan for the national championship!



Gonzaga was 82-2 at the Kennel since being built! They had won 41 straight!



He just hates having only Thursday / Saturday options to consider.



There is no doubt in my mind that we will be dancing (unless we lay a second round egg in LV), but where?
S
Schmoe
It was big, and I think if selection Sunday were today, we'd be in, but not the biggest win in BYU history. Still, Lunardi can suck it.
B
BroncoBot
Unfortunately for BYU, Lunardi's % of teams who make the tournament is about as good as it gets. I don't think it's personal bias as much as it is Lunardi knowing the tendencies of the selection committee. If he's punishing BYU for non-sunday play (since it was mentioned), it's because he knows that the selection committee doesn't love to work around that and it's reflected in his predictions.



Just win baby. BYU has shown they can hang with anyone. They need to get into vegas and destroy their first game, beat the gaels again and repeat a win vs the zags.



All those early season close losses are really hurting BYU right now, which is why I was so disappointed at the time. They were those shoulda/woulda/coulda type games that provided moral victories for most fans and nothing for our resume. I haven't looked at the rest of the resumes, but I honestly don't except for the gonzaga game BYU doesn't have a stellar resume themselves.



Here's the good news for BYU. They are a completely different team vs 15 games ago. Kaufusi has really improved and dumping it to the low post isn't a guaranteed score as it was earlier, Bartley and Sharp have started to contribute, Halford has been red hot and consistent, Andrus has played decent relief, Haws and KC aren't the only ones scoring...



I think this might be our best chance yet at winning the conference tournament which might put BYU in a 7-10 seed.
C
craigoscarson
I think more than anything Lunardi was shellshocked and didn't feel comfortable making such a big immediate jump. BYU beating #8 RPI Gonzaga at their place (arizona won in ot in tuscon) moved BYU 21 places in the palm RPI. Based on todays #, the number of wins we have, and the #16 rated nonconschedule we are in 90% of the time if selection sunday were today.



Our RPI is now #38, we have a signature win, and we went out and scheduled a solid noncon which the committee has stated they will reward teams for doing.



http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Barring losing before the title game, we're in and if we lose before the title game I think we'll get what we deserve
B
BroncoBot
craigoscarson wrote:
I think more than anything Lunardi was shellshocked and didn't feel comfortable making such a big jump. BYU beating #8 RPI Gonzaga at their place (arizona won in ot in tuscon) moved BYU 21 places in the palm RPI. Based on todays #, the number of wins we have, and the #16 rated nonconschedule we are in 90% of the time if selection sunday were today.

Maybe. Just win out!
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
craigoscarson wrote:
I think more than anything Lunardi was shellshocked and didn't feel comfortable making such a big immediate jump. BYU beating #8 RPI Gonzaga at their place (arizona won in ot in tuscon) moved BYU 21 places in the palm RPI. Based on todays #, the number of wins we have, and the #16 rated nonconschedule we are in 90% of the time if selection sunday were today.



Our RPI is now #38, we have a signature win, and we went out and scheduled a solid noncon which the committee has stated they will reward teams for doing.



http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Barring losing before the title game, we're in and if we lose before the title game I think we'll get what we deserve


looks like I was right... Lunardi wasn't willing to pull the trigger last night but came to his senses today (though stanford losing is a good and bad thing, same for purdue... pitt losing was great)

now all we have to do is get to the wcc final and not embarass ourselves in it



https://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/572247973607821313/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
BroncoBot
craigoscarson wrote:
I think more than anything Lunardi was shellshocked and didn't feel comfortable making such a big immediate jump. BYU beating #8 RPI Gonzaga at their place (arizona won in ot in tuscon) moved BYU 21 places in the palm RPI. Based on todays #, the number of wins we have, and the #16 rated nonconschedule we are in 90% of the time if selection sunday were today.



Our RPI is now #38, we have a signature win, and we went out and scheduled a solid noncon which the committee has stated they will reward teams for doing.



http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Barring losing before the title game, we're in and if we lose before the title game I think we'll get what we deserve


looks like I was right... Lunardi wasn't willing to pull the trigger last night but came to his senses today (though stanford losing is a good and bad thing, same for purdue... pitt losing was great)

now all we have to do is get to the wcc final and not embarass ourselves in it



https://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/572247973607821313/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes.



And this team appears to have things figured out. They are playing SSOOOOOOO much better than they were even 30 days ago.
Q
Qman
MesaCougFan wrote:
Apparently we are now only a first four out in his eyes! Statistically we have proven it, eye test we have proven it! What is it going to take?



Dare I say that this win was the biggest win in the history of BYU Sports? Yes I said sports. Bigger than Miami, Bigger than Oklahoma, Bigger than a several loss Michigan for the national championship!



Gonzaga was 82-2 at the Kennel since being built! They had won 41 straight!



He just hates having only Thursday / Saturday options to consider.



There is no doubt in my mind that we will be dancing (unless we lay a second round egg in LV), but where?


It felt like we were a 'power conference' team. We focused and physically swarming. Our execution of plays could improve more but I love the mindset and physical tools.
C
Cougs_Rule
Now he's almost back peddling by claiming that BYU had some key players out on injuries.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.