Archived Topic

Fahu Tahi hates BYU

by hawkwing · 2/24/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
I guess he's trying to pile on the hate BYU bus, claiming BYU has mistreated him and his family. I'm guessing his recent arrests aren't helping either.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
I guess he's trying to pile on the hate BYU bus, claiming BYU has mistreated him and his family. I'm guessing his recent arrests aren't helping either.


That's too bad. I enjoyed getting to know him when he was a missionary while I was in law school at Florida. We used to play football with him on P-Days. I am sorry to hear that his life has taken a different trajectory then the one he was on then. Hopefully, he changes course again.
F
Fido
Well, he currently works for Utah State--and anything to weaken an in-state team they compete with for recruits...



According to mugshots.com, while a player at BYU he was arrested for DUI/outstanding vehicle warrant in 2003 and then again for DUI in 2011. He was also arrested for Failure to Appear in November 2013 and again for Failure to Appear in November 2014.



How he stays on the Utah State coaching staff with all these arrests is interesting. It wouldn't be shocking to learn that the BYU program has kept their distance. You want to see the guy get help and he may very well be a good coach, but a church college football program may not be the best environment since he is around so many young athletes.
S
scott715
So he has learned how recruiting works at schools not named BYU.
B
BoiseBYU
There once was a whiner named Fahu

He really hated BYU

He ranted and raved

All the live long day

A vent all can see through
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
If his arrest record has anything to do with Byu giving him the cold shoulder(according to him) than i'd say he has every right to be mad.

Did Byu give Max Hall the could shoulder? Nope, he was on the sideline later in the season(Unlv i think). Reno Mahe had his warts too. For Byu to "shun their prodical sons" seems counter to what they are all about.

I personally don't buy this rumor at all.
S
snoscythe
Turns out he's ungruntled by the fact that BYU won't give him his diploma, which has some effect on coaching? Can't be a graduate assistant if not a graduate?


570315936005296129

Here's a hint Fahu--if they didn't cut corners to get Jimmy Mac a degree (although they bent over backwards footing the bill to fly proctors to JM so he could take the tests at home), they probably aren't going to cut corners for you.
S
scott715
Maybe he should work on his writing skills.
F
Fido
Its funny when things finally come out when it really is things like that. Wow...
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
Fido wrote:
A little more on the subject--discussion from the Aggies fan board but it is an interesting read. http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36527#p369773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I have to say that's about the most level headed thread I've ever read on a fanboard outside of this one. The last Aggie board I read was the typical CougarBoard, UteFans, Bevo whatever board where everyone is so incredibly biased I don't know how anyone reads them.



I have a confession to make. I graduated from the U in December with my MBA (something I thought I could relate with Cougarbib with but he's fallen off the side of the Cougar Corner corner.) I'm pretty sure there are a lot of reasons they would hold back a diploma. My wife works up there and she is dealing with kids being boneheads all the time and the school has to withhold credits or diplomas.



I'd guess whatever is going on has nothing to do with his recent legal troubles as they're so recent I'd bet BYU's registrars office didn't know anything about it. It's more likely he didn't finish a class or something and he thought ignoring it would = finishing it in BYU's eyes if he waited long enough. It's likely going to be one of those things that we never do find out what happens because he'll talk and BYU wont.
S
scott715
If he wants his degree, then he should go to work and finish it. As a coach, that is what he should be telling his kids.
S
SpiffCoug
Stirfry wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of reasons they would hold back a diploma. My wife works up there and she is dealing with kids being boneheads all the time and the school has to withhold credits or diplomas.



I'd guess whatever is going on has nothing to do with his recent legal troubles as they're so recent I'd bet BYU's registrars office didn't know anything about it. It's more likely he didn't finish a class or something and he thought ignoring it would = finishing it in BYU's eyes if he waited long enough. It's likely going to be one of those things that we never do find out what happens because he'll talk and BYU wont.

I don't think BYU is withholding anything from Mr. Tahi. If he hasn't received his diploma it's most likely because he hasn't completed ALL the requirements for graduation.
F
Fido
The only logical possibilities I see are

1) He hasn't completed all requirements (that doesn't sound like it from the way he spins it)

2) He fell out of good standing with the university prior to graduation.



The second possibility could be for a variety of reasons including not meeting financial obligations to the university or an unresolved honor code violation. The well known honor code/legal issues with him happened in 2003 and he played all the way to 2005 so those can't be the source of the problem.

Pure speculation on my part would be that there was another issue and he said screw it, I'm going to the NFL anyhow. Then years later when he is working for a coaching position and doesn't have his degree to meet the qualifications there is resentment. Unless an offense was so serious he was expelled with no chance to re-enroll, I would think he would have been given opportunities to make things right with his standing and get his degree and has had 10 years since he left BYU to do so.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
If I remember correctly, if you owe BYU any sort of money upon graduation, they won't give you your diploma. Even something as small as a $5.00 late-book fee.



Something doesn't add up and it's more than likely due to Tahi, not BYU.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
If I remember correctly, if you owe BYU any sort of money upon graduation, they won't give you your diploma. Even something as small as a $5.00 late-book fee.



Something doesn't add up and it's more than likely due to Tahi, not BYU.


Which is pretty much the same with all universities.
C
CrimsonCoug
Sorry; I had a bit of trouble understanding what he was saying. Was it this, "It's about me not [being] given my degree and [not being] allowed to continue on coaching because they [BYU] want to hold on to my diploma."?



I was confused by who the subject was in the bold part. Actually, I think he's a bit confused about that, too! It's not BYU keeping you back, buddy. It's you. THere's no way they said, "hey, we're not going to give you your diploma EVER." And there are ombudsman services available if he's legitimately been wronged (not likely, but possible).



Whatever it is, he thinks it will be easier to get USU to sign off on his paperwork--his bio indicates that he's transferred his credits and will be seeking a degree from that fine institution.



FWIW, his sister served in my ward in Santa Monica about 8 years ago. Good missionary. She was always very interested in the BYU scores on Sunday. But she never wanted to talk about her brother--not surprising seeing as how he wasn't doing right by his wife (not that I would ever ask that kind of a question). Seems that the family was still pro BYU at that time but recognized that Fahu had some "issues."



Hope he works through it. His sister was a good person.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.