Archived Topic

Luke will be going on a mission

by scott715 · 2/23/2015

Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Good call on his part!
G
Gunk
For some odd reason I thought he already had served. Good call on his part.
G
Guest
Glad to see him choose to do this.
E
EM_Puma
I think it's great. These are the things though that really makes Dave Rose earn his money to suddenly have to shuffle scholies around.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:
I think it's great. These are the things though that really makes Dave Rose earn his money to suddenly have to shuffle scholies around.


I wonder too if Luke was told, "Hey, with all the guys coming back and the chaos 18-year old missionaries introduced into our plans, we may not have a scholarship for you next year.....but we could have one available in 2017-18 if you're still around."
S
scott715
Or allow him to slip out to another program.
W
Wolverine
I Hope Luke's decision to serve was made irregardless of where his domino fell in the basketball scholarship pecking order. Great decision on his part.
C
craigoscarson
as far as hoops go, I think the tea leaves say nate austin will be back, kyle davis and aytes can manage the 4 and kaufusi/nielsen will man the 5 with austin...



If you're going to go for hoops reasons, this is the time to get your call in so I don't think Luke has any intention of not playing ball and I personally don't see him not finishing at BYU (even if it's as a walkon... his family is LOADED)



2 years away can't hurt worthington.. he'll learn a work ethic on his mission and bigs take longer than guards to develop... they also can't hurt him because he hasn't gotten much better in 2 years.. a guy like this with zero professional prospects will gain more from a mission than basketball anyhow



fischer, bartley, emery, and toolson need to go crazy in the weight room and working on their game and we have a pretty nice squad next year (I'm not counting on chatman, and calvert a ton next year... they won't be ready)
B
BYULV
I'm glad to see him go on a mission. Last year at this time he seemed to have zero interest in going on a mission. This will be a huge turning point in his life.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Good for him. Craig, do you know when Calvert comes back? I hope he is ready. He can ball out. EDIT: Finally found it. Comes back in May. (He might be ready... he went to Boston, is all). I really like the idea of seeing him at the 1 and emery at the 2 next year.



Calvert/Chatman/Shaw

Emery/Fischer/Chatman/Shaw

KColl/Bartley/Toolson/Hartsock

Aytes/Davis/Bartley/Hartsock

Austin/Kaufusi



That lineup is strong. Then next year throw in Mika, TJ Haws, Pingree, and possibly Frank Jackson to the mix? I mean, that lineup without injury is pretty much a lock to go deeeeeeep in the tourney.
M
Mars


Sounds like Rose would like Toolson to go on a mission this off-season as well.

Scholarship crunch, and all.
S
scott715
He came home from a mission. I don't think that is a possibility.
Q
Qman
When I look at our roster next year I see three things



1. We have some experienced, physically developed guards in KC, Fischer and Bartley. We should have a winning team just based on good guard play. We will see if Chatman can develop during the offseason but I am not expecting a lot. It takes a special freshman to play rotation minutes effectively. Emery might be able to but I think starting is unlikely for most of the season. Hopefully Calvert we one who comes back from his mission in good condition.



2. We are really counting in Davis to come in a play so big minutes. He should be ready to go with a his transfer year behind him. Aytes could be a big-time plus but with Austin potential coming back we don't need him as badly.



3. Do we have enough shooting to survive?



I predict a 10 man rotation of



KC/Emery

Fischer/Calvert

Bartley/KC

Austin/Davis/Aytes

Kaufusi/Austin



Only Fischer is a knock-down shooter. Bartley is streaky. Kaufusi has 2 foot range. Austin refuses to shoot. I don't know if we can go the 4 guard look unless Calvert or Emery are ready to really play. Hopefully KC improves his outside shot again.



On the brightside of that roster we should dominate the boards and be very good defensively.
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
He came home from a mission. I don't think that is a possibility.

"Due to an anxiety disorder that I have struggled with my whole life I wasn’t able to serve a mission at this time. Whether I leave in 3 months, a year, or come to find that I have a different mission in life, I have confidence that everything will work out the way it’s supposed to."
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.