Archived Topic

San Diego Toreros

by EM_Puma · 2/20/2015

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Wow, I know BYU sports are down, but there has been so little to read this week about BYU sports here on CC. I broke down today and decided I couldn't let a whole BB season go by and not attend one game, so I decided late this afternoon to go to the San Diego game tonight.



I was surprised this year that I had not seen one TH gimmick of selling BB tickets for a buck. He had filled the MC many times over the last few years with that offering.



I never saw one this year. I don't understand what he's thinking as many games have gone by with a lot fewer tickets sold than years past, but something has told him that butts in the seats for $1 were not worth it. Maybe it bred people like me waiting for those offerings, but that wasn't the reason I hadn't gone to a game.



I just can't let go maybe Tyler Haw's last game in the MC. I know the probability is we'll be in the NIT and then we'll surely have a home game, but it's not certain.



The other surprise was that there were no longer the $5 upper bowl tickets. $10 is the cheapest. I ended up finding 2 tickets two rows up behind the baskets--a little more than $10 bucks--but hey, It's the last scheduled game at the MC this season.
M
Mars
EM_Puma wrote:
I broke down today and decided I couldn't let a whole BB season go by and not attend one game, so I decided late this afternoon to go to the San Diego game tonight.

Ditto.
G
Gunk
Wow, we look dead.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
It was an enjoyable game and well worth the extra money for the better seats. I heard talk among the blue hairs of the under the basket clan about that everyone of their season tickets will be cancelled after this season. They enter a pool of some sort to be given their new season tickets that went from $400 to $575.



I think I figured out why no TH ticket gimmicks this season ($1 tickets for normally low attended games) is that he's trying to prime the pump to get everyone thinking of paying more for their tickets. If he were to still give away tickets, which is what a $1 ticket is, then it would be harder to do. Just my two cents, but I had a wonderful time, beyond those first 5-7 minutes of the game.
S
Schmoe
I guess I should have gone to the game, then, because it looked ugly watching from home.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
The only real downsides were the over-reffing and the cold, slow start by byu; which were interrelated. I didnt watch on tv, so i dont know. But otherwise, after a slow start, it was a fairly entertaining game. My fdavorite part was watching Rose get on the refs and get a warning. each team had 10 fouls half way into the first half? give me a break. But really, BYUs bench was better than their bench. And we got Tyler. first game byu hasnt lost when Chase had a bad game (or lo scoring anyway) Winder carried byu early in the game--even got BYU's engine started by driving to the hole. better defense of the 3 point line; Sandra (Jonny) Dee didnt kill us--thats always a positive.

not a great game. but a good game.
E
EM_Puma
Cougs_Rule wrote:
My fdavorite part was watching Rose get on the refs and get a warning. each team had 10 fouls half way into the first half? give me a break.


I loved that too. He walks up to the ref with a amiable look and smile. You could tell quickly that the ref didn't buy whatever Rose was selling and his face quickly turned sour. Rose walked away talking at him and you could see he wasn't telling him to have a nice day.
Q
Qman
This game was ugly to start. They didn't guard Sharp, Kaufusi or KC on the perimeter. Haws was bothered by their PG's aggressive D. Fischer had a guy stuck to his hip. There was no real flow to our offense. They had a good defensive game plan. When KC overpowered their small guards to the hoop he couldn't finish layups for some reason.



Then Halford and Winder get subbed in shortly followed by Bartley and Andrus. Suddenly we had too many offensive threats and their gameplan broke down. KC got going and Haws got going. By half-time we had the momentum and we continued it to the end of the game. Note we played the 4 guard lineup against to start the 2nd half. With Bartley's play lately I think we will be a 4 guard team for most of the rest of the year.



I think in the biggest games we will play the following rotation



KC 35/Halford 5

Fischer 20/Halford 15/Winder 5

Haws 35/Bartley 5

Winder 30/Bartley 10

Kaufusi 20/Andrus 15/Worthington 5



KC, Haws and Winder each play 35. Fischer, Kaufusi and Halford each play 20. Bartley and Andrus play 15. With Worthington getting 5 because Kaufusi will be in foul trouble.



Basically a 8 man rotation.



Now to spotlight a few players:



So normal kudos to Haws, KC and Winder. Yep you are all still awesome.



Kaufusi had a foul plagued game. But he did something very important twice. He caught the ball in traffic cleanly and made an adjustment to avoid a defender. He missed the shots. But they had a real chance of going in. He simply couldn't do that at the start of the year. It gives me hope to see what he can improve in a full offseason.



Bartley, Bartley, Bartley. Why in the world can't you slow down when you pass on the move? You had one bad charge and got bailed out on a dinky push on a 2nd charge. You have been hitting open 3's. Passing the ball to mostly the right places. Using your athletic ability to box out guys much bigger than you.
C
Cougs_Rule
This game may have started as the ugly ducking, but it ended up a fine piece of coaching and game. It's not like it was an ugly win and BYU was lucky. Rose did a great job managing the excessive foul calling by refs and adjusting to what San Diego did differently defensively to stop BYU.
E
EM_Puma
I want someone to sit Kafusi down and have a serious talk with him about how to dunk a basketball. His brother has more natural instinct in that regard than he does. He misses so many layups and soft touches when he really needs to be sending the ball home with force. Was Pope not a "dunking" type of big man? Frustrating. You can't use it every time, but Corbin seems to believe he'll be put in the corner if he slams one home.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
EM_Puma wrote:
I want someone to sit Kafusi down and have a serious talk with him about how to dunk a basketball. His brother has more natural instinct in that regard than he does. He misses so many layups and soft touches when he really needs to be sending the ball home with force. Was Pope not a "dunking" type of big man? Frustrating. You can't use it every time, but Corbin seems to believe he'll be put in the corner if he slams one home.




To me it looks like a footwork and preparing to catch the ball problem. He hasn't developed the one step and explode vertical footwork and strength.
B
Brayden Green
Qman wrote:
I want someone to sit Kafusi down and have a serious talk with him about how to dunk a basketball. His brother has more natural instinct in that regard than he does. He misses so many layups and soft touches when he really needs to be sending the ball home with force. Was Pope not a "dunking" type of big man? Frustrating. You can't use it every time, but Corbin seems to believe he'll be put in the corner if he slams one home.




To me it looks like a footwork and preparing to catch the ball problem. He hasn't developed the one step and explode vertical footwork and strength.


It could just be mission legs.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.