Archived Topic

Dream Job

by scott715 · 2/17/2015

Advertisement
S
scott715
Okay guys, time to put your money where your online mouth is.



https://yjobs.byu.edu/postings/6044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



And if you get it, we'll have an inside source.
G
Guest
At least now its obvious why Martzen left so quickly. That pay range is not designed for someone to stay at more than a few years before moving on to something better.
S
Schmoe
hawkwing wrote:
At least now its obvious why Martzen left so quickly. That pay range is not designed for someone to stay at more than a few years before moving on to something better.


I'd stay!
S
Stirfry
hawkwing wrote:
At least now its obvious why Martzen left so quickly. That pay range is not designed for someone to stay at more than a few years before moving on to something better.


My first thoughts exactly. I think I may take everything back I've ever said about if BYU pays market wages.



I'm trying to think of rich guys that want a retirement job with a good health care package:



Lavell- to old to do social media

Detmer- I think he lost most of his money in a ponzi scheme but apparently still has his ranch and is happy as a high school coach. It might be a good job for him because it would avoid the impossible expectations he would face as a BYU coach

Reno- Still lives in Utah county and could use the gas money

Austin Collie- I'd imagine it would be to boring for him and he's trying to keep the dream alive. He could use the health benefits.

Dennis Pitta- Will he make it back on the field this year? He could use the health care benefits and doesn't need the money.



My pick:

Lenny Gomes- He's a high school coach in Georgia or something so he has the coaching experience, is former D1 player, probably makes very little (ironically) if his primary job is a coach in Georgia and he recently recruited someone for us already. Not to mention he's a legend.
C
Cougs_Rule
I doubt he was getting paid as little as even the $70k. Remember when TH said he was the best recruiter ever and that he had a future? I think back then TH knew that GM was a short timer and either TH couldn't get him a raise or wouldnt. It's nearly despicable to think that BYU couldn't pay more than CSU. I really hope he left for other reasons.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Lenny Gomers is a legend? Um, for his radio comment as much as anything else. People don't say "Ya, Lenny Gomes? He's a legend." Certainly Ty, even Reno. Yes he was a really good player at byu. But even top ten Olineman? No.
S
Stirfry
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Lenny Gomers is a legend? Um, for his radio comment as much as anything else. People don't say "Ya, Lenny Gomes? He's a legend." Certainly Ty, even Reno. Yes he was a really good player at byu. But even top ten Olineman? No.


He's a legend. Maybe not for the right reasons but he's a legend.



I would guess that this position does pay more than what is posted.
S
snoscythe
Stirfry wrote:
I would guess that this position does pay more than what is posted.


Doubt it.
C
Cougs_Rule
For Marsten, yes. For guys like Gomes or Mahe, no.
F
frdbtr
scott715 wrote:
Okay guys, time to put your money where your online mouth is.



https://yjobs.byu.edu/postings/6044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



And if you get it, we'll have an inside source.


While I would love that job, I wouldn't be able to take the pay cut I would have to take to accept it.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Man, they care about the honor code so much they list it twice as a job requirement. ;)
I
imuakahuku
frdbtr wrote:
Okay guys, time to put your money where your online mouth is.



https://yjobs.byu.edu/postings/6044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



And if you get it, we'll have an inside source.


While I would love that job, I wouldn't be able to take the pay cut I would have to take to accept it.


I almost posted the exact same thing. The pay does not appear to be very competitive for a key position.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
imuakahuku wrote:
The pay does not appear to be very competitive for a key position.


I'm not sure exactly how "key" the position is. BYU didn't even have the position until Martzen came about just a few years ago. Prior to that, an assistant coach was selected to also wear the "recruiting coordinator" hat.



So it's a job that until 3 years ago somebody already on staff did without any increase in pay. I can see why a school would hesitate to offer beyond $70K for that, especially now that they've gleaned the ins and outs of developing a more efficient recruiting process after having Martzen and his Alabama experience here. Holmoe is probably thinking, "beyond $70K for an exceptional recruiter, let's just hand this off to 2J and Holliday and put a couple extra blue seats in the Marriott Center"



I think fans are overblowing what a recruiting coordinator does. He isn't a general manager. He doesn't look at the team and assess what they need. He doesn't choose what players get offered scholarships. All he does is take a list of needs generated by the coaching staff, and looks for potential fits and passes those lists off to the coaches. He also weeds out the obvious chaff from referrals. On a macro-scale, that's it--he's not a recruiter, he's a coordinator who coordinates the recruiting process under the direction of the coaching staff.
G
Guest
So you're saying the sole reason BYU didn't recruit or land Porter Gustin is because of Geoff Martzen.
S
scott715
I think this guy needs to be able to evaluate talent to save the coaches valuable time. He might also help determine if he might be a BYU fit-character evaluation. The more kids that can be looked at, they better the results will be.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.