Archived Topic

New Seats/Ticket Prices

by kjjson · 2/13/2015

Advertisement
K
kjjson
I have been attending BYU basketball games all my life, dad had season tickets growing up, all sports pass holder during my time as a student, 2 "mini-packs" a year for a couple of years, season ticket holder the last several years. I finally made the decision/reached a point in life I could afford a lower bowl season ticket (I get one, my dad gets one), so I finally convinced my wife to let me join Cougar Club and to pay for lower bowl seats.

While I am excited for the new seats, I wonder if I will still be able to afford to get them, let alone convince my wife that I should get them. To get a seat in the same area is going to cost people up to 108% more than what it did last year, not even counting the increase in the cougar club cost.

What are your thoughts? Is there enough demand for that high of prices for the lower bowl? If not, am I in the wrong profession as I thought I was in a well paying career, but really struggle seeing where I am going to come up with the money to afford this change, and that is for just one ticket, I can't even imagine how I will be able to do it when my sons are a few years older and I want to start taking them to the games as well.
B
BroncoBot
kjjson wrote:
I have been attending BYU basketball games all my life, dad had season tickets growing up, all sports pass holder during my time as a student, 2 "mini-packs" a year for a couple of years, season ticket holder the last several years. I finally made the decision/reached a point in life I could afford a lower bowl season ticket (I get one, my dad gets one), so I finally convinced my wife to let me join Cougar Club and to pay for lower bowl seats.

While I am excited for the new seats, I wonder if I will still be able to afford to get them, let alone convince my wife that I should get them. To get a seat in the same area is going to cost people up to 108% more than what it did last year, not even counting the increase in the cougar club cost.

What are your thoughts? Is there enough demand for that high of prices for the lower bowl? If not, am I in the wrong profession as I thought I was in a well paying career, but really struggle seeing where I am going to come up with the money to afford this change, and that is for just one ticket, I can't even imagine how I will be able to do it when my sons are a few years older and I want to start taking them to the games as well.

BYU is pricing themselves out of being a family centered venue except for those few who can actually afford it. It is what it is, I don't particularly like the trend though.
S
scott715
Second job. Maybe you can split it with someone and get a cheaper ticket when your friend is using the season ticket spot.
G
Gunk
There will be a noticeable drop in attendance for sure. Look at football.



Attendance hasn't been as great since joining the WCC (team hasn't been either). Factor in higher prices plus TV access, and I see BYU struggling to fill the place.
C
Cougs_Rule
Again, I have seen now 108% increase and 250% over two years. If This is true, watch attendance drop even further. WRONG DIRECTION, BYU. If my lower bowl tickets go up by 100+%, I am seriously considering not getting tickets. I can't believe I am actually thinking that. I love going with my boys. And I'm too spoiled to get nose bleeds. But if those go up 100% then they aren't worth getting either.

BYU should have given fans a break from increases since they already raised them this past year and let fans fall in love with the enhanced experience and then raised. The MC has needed to have been improved for a long time and now they stick it to the fans? Who do they think they are, the Utah Jazz? Again, my behest is based on others report of increases. I should just check for myself. I hope they have raised other event prices as well to help pay. Soak education week crowds. That herd needs to be thinned out anyway. Talk about massive hoards.
Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
Just curious do you have a link to the 108% mark up? I have season tix to football and basketball. I have seen nothing that has said anything about next years prices. I did get the cougar club increase which I totally understand that increase. Sorry but I find it hard to believe that they r going to mark up tickets that much.
N
nuk13
If you're going to pay coaches $1 million+ and propose that players be paid, a raise in ticket prices seems inevitable. It would be interesting to see how much the past few national champions have paid for those championships.
S
snoscythe
If there is any ticket price increase , it's not to pay for the new facilities/upgrades. Those are 100% funded by private donations, including an endowment for upkeep/operations.



The only relation a price increase would have to improvements would be to reflect added excitement in the fan base by reason of the upgrades, and the change in supply/demand calculus when you remove ~1,000 seats from the supply side, and push the demand side up by making the lower bowl seats MUCH more desirable to sit in for two hours.
B
Brayden Green
If they make the experience better - ie, No, "Hey, could you guys slide over, because we have 48 and 49, and your extremely large arses and need for space are covering up 3 number spots instead of two..." conversations, well that is something that people will pay for. And if you won't someone surely will.



You can always join me up in the nosebleeds. I have two very well used elbows defending my personal space that you can sit next to.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If they make the experience better - ie, No, "Hey, could you guys slide over, because we have 48 and 49, and your extremely large arses and need for space are covering up 3 number spots instead of two..." conversations, well that is something that people will pay for. And if you won't someone surely will.



You can always join me up in the nosebleeds. I have two very well used elbows defending my personal space that you can sit next to.


I seem to always be between family members so my elbows are nice and soft but I've developed quite the callused knee from sticking it right in the middle of the dudes spine in front of me that decides his seat includes any area his poorly made stadium chair leans back into at LES. :evil:
B
Brayden Green
Stirfry wrote:
If they make the experience better - ie, No, "Hey, could you guys slide over, because we have 48 and 49, and your extremely large arses and need for space are covering up 3 number spots instead of two..." conversations, well that is something that people will pay for. And if you won't someone surely will.



You can always join me up in the nosebleeds. I have two very well used elbows defending my personal space that you can sit next to.


I seem to always be between family members so my elbows are nice and soft but I've developed quite the callused knee from sticking it right in the middle of the dudes spine in front of me that decides his seat includes any area his poorly made stadium chair leans back into at LES. :evil:


How dare you plant your feet squarely in front of you? The Nerve!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SenorCougar
I recall sitting at LES and the wonderful LDS fan in front of me had a broken stadium seat he must have purchased when Wilkinson was president. The front hooks didn't work or he didn't use them. The dude must have spent over half the game in my "personal space" aka crotch area. He would stand for rise and shout and I would push his seat forward, but he inevitably ended up right back in. my personal space. Is this a common problem? I thought about farting but didn't have the nerve to let one rip. :sick:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
SenorCougar wrote:
I recall sitting at LES and the wonderful LDS fan in front of me had a broken stadium seat he must have purchased when Wilkinson was president. The front hooks didn't work or he didn't use them. The dude must have spent over half the game in my "personal space" aka crotch area. He would stand for rise and shout and I would push his seat forward, but he inevitably ended up right back in. my personal space. Is this a common problem? I thought about farting but didn't have the nerve to let one rip. :sick:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Just put your legs up and over his shoulders and then look surprised and say "Oh I'm sorry, this is where my legs are supposed to go."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.