So I thought that I'd share my experience using Sling TV/Dish TV's live streaming of sports.
First, a little backstory. I previously had a 32" TV with SD (not HD) channels from DirecTV. I was paying $79 a month just for TV. I recently upgraded to a 48" HDTV and wow, the SD channels look ugly that big. I didn't notice it before, but on the bigger screen it really is pretty bad. So I started looking into upgrading to HD.
One option would be to upgrade to HD though DirecTV although there's an installation fee and an extra $10 a month (although I talked them into waiving it for the first year).
Along with my new TV I also purchased a Roku3, my first one. I was able to start streaming shows and movies in HD. But what about sports? I added SlingTV to my Roku and signed up for the free 7 day trial. I watched the Gonzaga game and it was amazing. Basic SlingTV is $20/month with ESPN and ESPN2 as the sports channels that it carries and for an extra $5/month you get ESPNews, ESPNU, SEC network and a few other minor sports channels. The catch is that these are all streaming live. No way to program, record, pause, replay, or skip commercials. Still, I liked it well enough that I signed on for a month (there is no contract, just month-to-month) and have plans to cancel my DirecTV altogether.
However, during the Santa Clara game, just a minute or two into the game and the ESPN2 channel goes blank with an "Oops, something happened and we're looking into it. Try again in a few minutes" message. Well, luckily, I still had my DirecTV so I switched to watch it in ugly SD. Every commercial break I would check the SlingTV channel but it was still blank. Moments after the game was over I checked again and guess what? It was back up and running!! What the??!
The only thing I use DirecTV for is sports. Mostly BYU football and basketball, with a little bit of NBA (Spurs) and English Premier League. I''ll have BYUTV (Roku) and ESPN family (SlingTV) and TNT (SlingTV) so most of my BYU sports will be covered so I'll only be missing out on EPL but I really only watch maybe a game a month so that's not a big loss.
My next step though is to figure out how to program/record these live streaming sports from SlingTV. I just don't want to be at the mercy of live TV scheduling. Especially during the football season I like to be able to record the day games and watch them at night after the kids go to bed and skip the commercials. I've started looking into PlayLater which says that it's the "world's first DVR for online videos." If anyone has any experience with PlayLater that would be helpful. Oh, and SlingTV is suppose to be adding ESPN3 in the future which allows watching replays of certain games. That could definitely help as alternative to having to watch sports live.
I'll keep you guys updated on how the SlingTV goes and if I dive into the PlayLater. My plan is that Roku + SlingTV + PlayerLater can eliminate any need for that $79/month satellite bill. I guess I'm turning into a cord cutter, lol.