Archived Topic

I just don't get Rose's lineups...

by Brayden Green · 2/6/2015

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Watching Neilsen get his lunch ate time and time again, game after game. Provides almost no defensive rebounding, no shot blocking whatsoever, and cleans up on the offensive end, but only good for 3 or 4 points a game, doesn't get back on defense quickly. He is playing a lot of minutes over Andrus and Nixon who are both CLEARLY better than him...



With Kaufusi, Nixon, Andrus, and even KC seeing time at the 4 BYU shouldn't be playing Neilsen. At all.



(And KC shouldn't be handling the ball downcourt, he should be screening and posting and making back cuts.)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
I watched the big men fairly closely last night. Andrus was being owned on the offensive and defensive ends all night long. He had a great game last week, but he was clearly out of his league last night. The only positive was that he got some great development by swimmig with the sharks. So, I disagree that he is clearly better than Neilson.



Also, Nixon started the year off great, but seems to have faded this year, as has Toolson. I know the old saying that there are no rookies in March, but our freshmen seem to have faded this year rather than getting stronger. I'm hopng for significant development in the off season.
B
Brayden Green
ABYUFAN wrote:
I watched the big men fairly closely last night. Andrus was being owned on the offensive and defensive ends all night long. He had a great game last week, but he was clearly out of his league last night. The only positive was that he got some great development by swimmig with the sharks. So, I disagree that he is clearly better than Neilson.



Also, Nixon started the year off great, but seems to have faded this year, as has Toolson. I know the old saying that there are no rookies in March, but our freshmen seem to have faded this year rather than getting stronger. I'm hopng for significant development in the off season.


Me too, are you sure it didn't say "Nielsen" on the back? I'm not sure about Andrus last night, he didn't play much, but Kaufusi was great even though in foul trouble - sub him in, who cares if he fouls out? Then go back to whomever looks better. Last night, Neilsen was bad. Davis and "Jett Raines" - if that is his real name - had him owned.
B
beauso79
And Sharp and Fischer start today with Winder and Nixon on the bench



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Sharp should have been getting Nixon's minutes all year. Guy hustles and gets boards.

Winder's knee is bothering him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Gunk wrote:
Sharp should have been getting Nixon's minutes all year. Guy hustles and gets boards.

Winder's knee is bothering him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I like Sharp as a hustler, and a rebounder, but he is a guaranteed way to not make the NCAA tourney. He is a power forward trapped in a shooting guards body, and besides athleticism and hustle, has no skills on either end of the court.



Again, I like Sharp, but his only use to the team is as a defensive stopper, a Tony Allen type. But he comes with a cost of opportunity. You can't keep Haws or KCOLL out, because of points lost on the offensive side. You can't play him at pf or c, because he gets eaten up on the defensive side... sigh...



I like Sharp, just wish he had committed to getting bigger and stronger, or maybe he did and his body won't do it... either way, he is only useful in a limited capacity. I would prefer Kaufusi, Nixon, Andrus, and Toolson get the experience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
We complain about not getting young guys in to let them mature.. and now we wonder why Sharp hasn't been playing more minutes? (are you kidding me?)... (I don't have enough time to tell you all the reasons Sharp should not be regularly getting major minutes.. though Coach Rose has pretty well proved that by not playing him... unless you think you know more about this team and practice than Dave Rose.)



Sharp is a major liability if he played major minutes every game... he was a curve ball at the appropriate time



Is it at all possible that Dave Rose is trying to keep the opposing coaches off kilter by playing guys they might not have scouted?



This is exactly why I think we see Worthington being using kind of erratically the last 2 weeks.. he's easy to prepare for, but he is a big body that if you aren't keyed into preparing for him you might disregard his warts. (I could get to the free throw line on on one against worthington; his left side is weak and as soon as he steps to cut off a drive to his left side a single pump fake will get him in the air 100% of the time) but in spurts he can contribute because he's not in long enough to warrant calling a time out and saying "41 is in.. post him up or drive to him and make him foul you."



There isn't a huge difference between a true freshman Nixon and a 5 year senior in Sharp.. they both have a lot of warts and they both can be exploited IF YOU PREPARE FOR THEM.. They also do a lot of the same things marginally so they can be swapped a bit.
G
Gunk
First off, the fact we're in a position where either Nixon or Sharp are required to have extensive playing time tells you something about this team.



Nixon is young, raw has no idea where to be on the court and little to no offensive output. For a "stretch" 4 he does absolutely no stretching and very little actual 4 work. Given his skill set, he should be counted on for rebounds and defense.



Sharp is Senior. He's played the game longer and isn't lost out there on the court, particularly on defense and getting out where perimeter shooters are, something Nixon continually gets beat on. Sharp is also better on the glass. There is a reason we out rebounded LMU last night, a team that despite its flaws has only been out rebounded once before this season, and wasn't because of Nixon.



Neither provide points. So it comes down to boards and defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
McY
Once again, I agree with Gunk. Plus, I am jealous that he is ranked an All Star and that his name appears in bolded, green font.
G
Guest
McY wrote:
Once again, I agree with Gunk. Plus, I am jealous that he is ranked an All Star and that his name appears in bolded, green font.

We all aspire to be link Gunk.



If all posters had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Gunk, behold, the very powers of CougarBoard would have been shaken forever...
Advertisement
S
scott715
Where can I get my Gunk t-shirt?
M
McY
hawkwing wrote:
Once again, I agree with Gunk. Plus, I am jealous that he is ranked an All Star and that his name appears in bolded, green font.

We all aspire to be link Gunk.



If all posters had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Gunk, behold, the very powers of CougarBoard would have been shaken forever...


Hilarious :lol:. Gunk is the like the Dos (XX) Equis of CougarBoard. I don't always read every post on CougarBoard, but when I do, I prefer Gunk's posts.
G
Gunk
scott715 wrote:
Where can I get my Gunk t-shirt?

Ha!



Maybe I should start a kickstarter...
B
beauso79
It looks like Andrus has passed up Neilson on the depth chart. Andrus has appeared to have been able to bulk up more than Neilson so far this year as well. I would like to see Rose add in some more time for Andrus at the 4 playing alongside Kaufusi or Neilson



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Good lesson learned so far. We needed someone other than KC to rebound. Enter Josh Sharp who is also quick, brings energy, can be very pesky in deflecting balls and getting steals. Instant improvement in defensive mindset for the team. It also freed up Kafusi to do block shots, play defense and rebound. Andrus came in an elevated his game and Worthington did a good job as well. Took a while for Dave to figure it out, but as is his pattern, he usually makes good second half of the season adjustments.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
byucougar1 wrote:
Good lesson learned so far. We needed someone other than KC to rebound. Enter Josh Sharp who is also quick, brings energy, can be very pesky in deflecting balls and getting steals. Instant improvement in defensive mindset for the team. It also freed up Kafusi to do block shots, play defense and rebound. Andrus came in an elevated his game and Worthington did a good job as well. Took a while for Dave to figure it out, but as is his pattern, he usually makes good second half of the season adjustments.


But other than sharp, the freshmen are starting to look like the epitome of "there are no freshmen in March." Andrus looks much different than early in season. And Kaufusi is finally learning a few D skills to match his athleticism. So, I disagree this is all about Rose figuring it out. Luke has not improved during the year. He has hit his ceiling. He's good for some body ing up and about five fouls and no points. That's about it.

And nobody punk on Sharp, bc once teams start scouting him or he gets a less favorable matchup, he may look a little bit like old sharp. He's a 4 mentality stuck in a 3's body without the 3's shooting skills. But ride him while we can bc as soon as BYU cools off in 3-point land, this team won't look as awesome as it did vs SMU. But.....

GO Cougs!!!
B
beauso79
Hopefully Rose continues to utilize Andrus at the 4 so when the efforts of Sharp become futile against better competition we have another option there besides KC. Neilson, Kaufusi, and Worthington can manage at the 5 if Andrus and KC are there to help out at the 4 I would think.
B
Brayden Green
beauso79 wrote:
Hopefully Rose continues to utilize Andrus at the 4 so when the efforts of Sharp become futile against better competition we have another option there besides KC. Neilson, Kaufusi, and Worthington can manage at the 5 if Andrus and KC are there to help out at the 4 I would think.


Exactly. Sharp isn't good against someone with his back to the basket. I really, really, like Sharp and his hustle, but he is only good in specific spots and can't be counted on against serious competition.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.