Archived Topic

BYU and Porter Gustin

by byucougar1 · 2/3/2015

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
I thought that Porter Gustin's response about BYU and their interest was very telling. He was shocked that they didn't show interest in him but he wouldn't have selected them over the five teams he was considering: ASU, OSU, UT, USC and Dixie State (?????). He also indicated that he isn't planning on serving a mission but wanting to play right away. If one combines this information with Poppinga's statement about the type of OLB's BYU recruits (hips that can swivel - good lateral movement, ability rush yet change direction and drop into pass coverage...), it appears that his skill set didn't match the needs of the team. Very interesting evaluation.
S
scott715
He's going to USC. They got the top 2 Utah kids.
T
trueblue72
According to one of his HS coaches that I spoke with, he was BYU's all they had to do was offer. BYU was the school he wanted and the school that he was going to play for and when the offer wasn't extended he was very upset. He's obviously moved on and good for him. I think we as fan's should do the same and wish him well and let this die!
G
Guest
trueblue72 wrote:
According to one of his HS coaches that I spoke with, he was BYU's all they had to do was offer. BYU was the school he wanted and the school that he was going to play for and when the offer wasn't extended he was very upset. He's obviously moved on and good for him. I think we as fan's should do the same and wish him well and let this die!


Porter himself said that he never considered BYU and wouldn't have come even if we had offered, but that he was surprised we didn't.
S
stuckinbig10country
hawkwing wrote:
According to one of his HS coaches that I spoke with, he was BYU's all they had to do was offer. BYU was the school he wanted and the school that he was going to play for and when the offer wasn't extended he was very upset. He's obviously moved on and good for him. I think we as fan's should do the same and wish him well and let this die!


Porter himself said that he never considered BYU and wouldn't have come even if we had offered, but that he was surprised we didn't.


Which is really weird, because his dad said he would have committed the day they took that visit to BYU if he were offered....



This story changes by the day or based on who's telling it. Maybe the coaches weren't so dumb after all.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
stuckinbig10country wrote:
trueblue72 wrote:
According to one of his HS coaches that I spoke with, he was BYU's all they had to do was offer. BYU was the school he wanted and the school that he was going to play for and when the offer wasn't extended he was very upset. He's obviously moved on and good for him. I think we as fan's should do the same and wish him well and let this die!


Porter himself said that he never considered BYU and wouldn't have come even if we had offered, but that he was surprised we didn't.


Which is really weird, because his dad said he would have committed the day they took that visit to BYU if he were offered....



This story changes by the day or based on who's telling it. Maybe the coaches weren't so after all.

Both could be true... he could have commited the day he was offered, and still gone to USC
G
Guest
I think coaches made the right choice to stay away from him, I think he'll be a fine player and is a fine young man, but he and BYU would have clashed.
T
trueblue72
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

mobile]



At this point it doesn't matter, can't we all just move on? :D



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Was it just me or did that press conference rival Iggy's from a couple of years ago. :)
B
byucougar1
Hans Olson made a funny statement in that his commitment didn't have any cheerleaders. This says a lot about the individual - lots of pomp and circumstance. Many question why BYU apparently muffs or misses on certain recruits. Based upon the arrogant statement that I wouldn't have selected them anyway, it is clear that BYU would have been wasting their time. I believe they conduct very good due diligence on the players (HC, grades, life balance, etc.) besides the ability to play football. Sure, they miss out on some recruits, but the recent classes, last two years, show very good athletes both on and off the field.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Did the dude actually have a Dixie State hat right there next to the Utah hat?
G
Guest
562675325390565377
B
byucougar1
Dixie loves the high visibility that they are getting from this hat show. Likely the only reason that they received attention is because his brother was recruited to play for them. Would have been hilarious if he selected them over USC.
B
BOID
It makes sense that he would want a BYU offer, even without consideration of accepting it. Both Utah and USC tend to target recruits with early BYU offers. He would have used the BYU offer to attract more interest from USC. I, for one, do not believe he was sincere about BYU while being purely snubbed. I put more trust than that in our coaches and recruitment staff. And that's all I have to say about that. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Oh I think the Dixie hat is there for more than just pub for his bros school. Adds to the conspicuousness of why BYUs was not, BC clearly he had no intention to attend Dixie. But, that Elephant in the front room has now exited. True blue is probably right. Let the kid move on.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.