Archived Topic

More Wow! Interview with KVN.

by Cougs_Rule · 2/2/2015

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
On 1280 The Zone, this morning.

He certainly is more friendly than Buck to Bronco , having played for him. And he certainly was more discrete and professional, but when asked if he has a relationship with the BYU coaching staff, he said, "No."

When asked if he was intentionally involved with recruiting weekend, he said "no, just here at the BBall game." (Not sure if that was some kind of smoke screen to not appear in any violation of any recruiting rules--I don't think so.)

I get that radio guys want to stir things up for ratings, but it is kind of hard to deny that this just isn't a strength for Bronco. I just don't get it. All these guys and their money and no relationship? Didnt Jordain Gross donate like hundreds of thousands of dollars to Utah?

KVN did say that Buck shouldn't have made those comments in public but rare to Tom Holmoe.

Interesting interview. You can probably check it out on 1280 the zone.
F
Fido
Interesting--I saw a tweet from a recruit who said something about being glad he got to see KVN while he was there. Can't remember who and since everyone was tweeting like mad about the super bowl I'd probably never find it . lol
C
Cougs_Rule
True. I doubt he just randomly showed up for the Santa Clara basketball game. But who knows. Certainly was a draw on the floor at halftime. With all the recruits.
F
Fido
562289549913505792

562291385500323840

562291347160186880
C
Cougs_Rule
The last tweet. It's the little things. Besides, that's a lot of money, in some cases that could help. Im sure the athletic dept is doing some things to get money--they certainly are out of donors, cougar club members, etc. I hope they arent exempting former players.
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
If BYU is looking for a BYU alumni coordinator I'd take the job for a low 6 figure salary...
B
BYUBALLIN
U think every program in the country caters to alumni players hahahah not even close.
B
BYUBALLIN
KVN was sitting with recruits at the bball from what I understand..
F
Fido
I listened to the interview--the interviewer went to ask him about "helping out with the recruits" and then KVN went out of his way to say he wasn't--he just went to a game. Then they ask him about his "relationship" with the coaches and he made it sound just like Buck--I don't have a relationship and don't really want one. I don't know if he really is bitter or just not smart enough to know they take that and bash BYU with it all day on the radio. KVN dropped a few notches in my eyes. Thanks for feeding the monster. :(
S
snoscythe
KVN has never been a great interview--there's a reason he never did many interviews with the local media when he was at BYU, he's just not that comfortable in conversation under fire.



Read "The System" chapters where KVN is featured, and it tells a completely different, much more detailed story of KVN's relationship with Bronco. I'll rely on that more than his ever-awkward interviews where I'm never 100% certain he's involved in the same conversation as the interviewer.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
See Mark Durrants string of tweets tonight. Perfectly aligned w KVN. Bottom line is folks are telling Bronco that a little bit can go a long way. I'm not criticizing, just pointing out patterns.
B
BYUBALLIN
I would rather focus on current players then alumni..
C
Cougs_Rule
It's not All or Nothin folks. It's the little things. And they just aren't happening as much. Bronco is all about priorities and having a life. He has chosen not to make alums and legacy guys even a base priority. And it shows. And it's hurting him, the team and recruits who follow social media--which is just about all of them. I don't hate Bronco for it. It's just is what it is. There are like two or three former players coming to his aid and the bulk are quietly choosing to not become KVN on accident or Jason Buck intentionally.
S
stuckinbig10country
Cougs_Rule wrote:
It's not All or Nothin folks. It's the little things. And they just aren't happening as much. Bronco is all about priorities and having a life. He has chosen not to make alums and legacy guys even a base priority. And it shows. And it's hurting him, the team and recruits who follow social media--which is just about all of them. I don't hate Bronco for it. It's just is what it is. There are like two or three former players coming to his aid and the bulk are quietly choosing to not become KVN on accident or Jason Buck intentionally.


I disagree with a large portion of this. Steve Young is part of many of the specials regarding the current team, including every media day and today on signing day. Ty Detmer is part of a lot of things. Gary Sheide is involved with the program. Most of the butt hurt guys were on the teams with KWhitt or have done something to hurt their relationship with the current staff.



Bronco knows Buck and Whit are buds, and still let him come to practice even though Buck was up at Utah practice with his buddy the same week. Bronco is very guarded with what comes in and out of practice and should be leery of Kyle's buddies.



KVN basically said he's really busy and isn't talking to the coaches for that reason. If KVN calls Bronco, they'll talk, but they both have things going on (exactly what he said was I have my own thing going and so do they).
F
Fido
Did anyone criticizing how Mendenhall has no relationship with former players want to revise their position in light of all the former players who were involved in the signing day event? All recruits were introduced by former players.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Did anyone who excuses Bronco as almost blameless or helpless notice that Bronco took unprecedented moves (to Bronco and BYU) to show that coaches are connected to social media (youtube video) and former big-time players were invited to announce signees; and Bronco himself admitted he needs to do better w Alumni???? he wouldnt have done al these things if there wasn't a problem/deficit. do you really think he would have been caught dead dancing to rap song on youtube????

Sheesh. hes not a General Authority (yet) its not apostate to point out some weaknesses--unless maliciously like the HTT, traitor Jason Buck; and certainly he's not perfect. Some of you still live in the BYU Candyland. i say good for Bronco to realize he was losing ground and he faced it and adapted.
B
Brayden Green
Cougs, this site is vehemently pro bronco. It is the yin to the yang of rumour board's anti Bronco quest.



Criticising Bronco, in any way, is the quickest way to downvotes on this site. You aren't on an even playing field here.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Cougs, this site is vehemently pro bronco. It is the yin to the yang of rumour board's anti Bronco quest.



Criticising Bronco, in any way, is the quickest way to downvotes on this site. You aren't on an even playing field here.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Which I think reflects the older, smarter, and better off nature of the users of this site compared to the dumpster fire site.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
Cougs, this site is vehemently pro bronco. It is the yin to the yang of rumour board's anti Bronco quest.



Criticising Bronco, in any way, is the quickest way to downvotes on this site. You aren't on an even playing field here.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Which I think reflects the older, smarter, and better off nature of the users of this site compared to the dumpster fire site.

I'm old...



And to think I thought I was just hitting my prime. :~(



I think there are plenty on here that critique Bronco. I certainly do. He's never been and likely never will be a people's person. He isn't some guy that's going to inspire everyone he associates with or go around placating people. He is what he is.



Could he do better with fan relations, media relations, and alumni relations. Yes. But for the most part he's doing a bang-up job coaching at BYU and he's most likely the best coach we could ask for.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Cougs, this site is vehemently pro bronco. It is the yin to the yang of rumour board's anti Bronco quest.



Criticising Bronco, in any way, is the quickest way to downvotes on this site. You aren't on an even playing field here.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Which I think reflects the older, smarter, and better off nature of the users of this site compared to the dumpster fire site.

I'm old...



And to think I thought I was just hitting my prime. :~(



I think there are plenty on here that critique Bronco. I certainly do. He's never been and likely never will be a people's person. He isn't some guy that's going to inspire everyone he associates with or go around placating people. He is what he is.



Could he do better with fan relations, media relations, and alumni relations. Yes. But for the most part he's doing a bang-up job coaching at BYU and he's most likely the best coach we could ask for.


Absolutely nothing wrong with legitimate criticism. I'm completely in favor of it and agree with it.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.