Archived Topic

Does non-anti-BYU local sports radio exist?

by Fido · 2/2/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
Does anyone have local Utah sports radio you listen to who isn't always so down on BYU? It seems like ever since sock-gate when Scott Gerard was shown wrong in his very public first-announced story that BYU's program was corrupt and could face sanctions up to the death penalty that 1280 the zone seems bent on making BYU look bad in any way they can. Whether it is digging up disgruntled former players (Kyle Van Noy is the latest to jump on and say that "some" of the things Jason Buck said are "kind of" true), criticizing the handling of the bowl brawl across ALL shows all day long, or bashing that BYU says they are "different" from other schools--I've just about had enough of them. And I've noticed that while they will mention positive news regarding BYU, it disappears quickly while the negative gets beaten like a drum.



I'm trying 1320 kfan again and the Monte in the morning show has been all Utah so far this morning though that may be because Monte is a Utah guy and Utah announced their coaching staff this morning.



I don't need to listen to homer talk radio, but these guys just seem to be digging for something negative to report so they can be the first to the air with whatever issue they can find.
S
Schmoe
I simply don't listen to local sports radio. The Greg Wrubell sit-downs with Bronco and Rose at Bam Bam's and his pregame and post-game stuff are all I need as far as audio is concerned. I don't care about any other local sports team (Real Salt Lake being the exception), so nothing else they talk about locally interests me anyway. I just stick with ESPN and SI for most my sports news.
S
snoscythe
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Radio is anti-BYU? Haven't they been very objective in reporting that Utah is hiring BYU guys and BYU is not and how that should be setting off air raid sirens in Provo? Don't you know Bronco hates BYU guys and Kyle likes to be the big spoon with BYU guys?



BYU Coaching Staff:

Bronco = Oregon State

Dr. Anae = BYU

Mark Atuaia = BYU

Jason Beck = BYU

Guy Holliday = Cheyney University of Pennsylvania

Garrett 2J = BYU

Nick Howell = Weber St./University of Phoenix

Steve Kaufusi = BYU

Kelly Poppinga = BYU

Paul Tidwelll = USU (but hired to BYU by Lavell)



Utah's Coaching Staff:

Kyle Whittingham = BYU

Dennis Erickson = Montana State

Jim Harding = Toledo

Aaron Roddick = BYU

Morgan Scalley = Utah

Sahrrief Shah = Utah

Taylor Stubblefied = Purdue

John Pease = Utah

Justin Ena = BYU



Despite the fact that Bronco has a staff of 6 BYU guys plus a retained Lavell hire and only 3 other coaches, the storyline on the radio is how Bronco hates BYU guys and Kyle is poaching all these BYU guys and is representing the BYU tradition now that he has...3 BYU coaches on staff? The reality is completely counter to the storyline being played out on the radio this week.
S
scott715
Listen to a music channel or Cougar Nation on KBYUtv.
S
Schmoe
The Cougar Corner podcasts are all any true BYU fan needs! :D
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
scott715 wrote:
Listen to a music channel or Cougar Nation on KBYUtv.

Jarom and Spencer have a good show, but outside of football/basketball seasons I'm not sure it would be as fun to listen to.
M
Mars


What show is Criddle on?
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:


What show is Criddle on?


KOVO 960 AM -- Newest ESPN Affiliate. For a while they were doing a simulcast of 1280, but they broke off in the past couple of weeks to being "Utah County's" ESPN channel. Cowherd in the morning, SVP at lunch, and I assume Criddle/Alema for the afternoon drive, but haven't caught them yet.
S
stuckinbig10country
I actually don't hate the local media. I think they pound the drum of anything that gets ratings. I have people I like more than others, obviously.
S
SenorCougar
Worst local sportscaster know it all = Monson?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Listen to a music channel or Cougar Nation on KBYUtv.

Jarom and Spencer have a good show, but outside of football/basketball seasons I'm not sure it would be as fun to listen to.

Yep almost as good as the Cougar Corner Podcast.
S
snoscythe
snoscythe wrote:


What show is Criddle on?


KOVO 960 AM -- Newest ESPN Affiliate. For a while they were doing a simulcast of 1280, but they broke off in the past couple of weeks to being "Utah County's" ESPN channel. Cowherd in the morning, SVP at lunch, and I assume Criddle/Alema for the afternoon drive, but haven't caught them yet.


I've listened to Criddle's show the last few days on my commute home. It's a nice change of pace, but I can see why they aren't advertising and promoting it yet as it's pretty unpolished. Criddle is not comfortable on the air yet (lots of "uh-uh-uh" stammering and "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"s as he tries to finish thoughts, but that will improve in time as he gets the hang of it. It also feels like they are hosting tryouts for his co-host. Last week Harvey Unga and Derik Stevenson each co-hosted a couple of days. Unga was much better IMHO, and not just because DS looked for every opportunity to hype Kalani Sitake



Criddle: "let's talk a second about Utah State"

Stevenson: "Yeah, my boy Sitake would work wonders there, but he's at Oregon State building his resume for bigger things"

Criddle: "Uhhhhhhhhhh, yeah....about Utah State..."



The bigger issue was that Stevenson would just check out for the interviews to where you forgot Criddle had anyone else in the studio.



I will be interesting to see how it all holds up once the novelty wears off. They've had great interviews, but once the show has been around a while, it may be harder to get guys like Jackson Emery to come on when the shine is off a bit.



Give it a listen on the afternoon drive.
S
snoscythe
snoscythe wrote:
Mars wrote:


What show is Criddle on?


KOVO 960 AM -- Newest ESPN Affiliate. For a while they were doing a simulcast of 1280, but they broke off in the past couple of weeks to being "Utah County's" ESPN channel. Cowherd in the morning, SVP at lunch, and I assume Criddle/Alema for the afternoon drive, but haven't caught them yet.


I've listened to Criddle's show the last few days on my commute home. It's a nice change of pace, but I can see why they aren't advertising and promoting it yet as it's pretty unpolished. Criddle is not comfortable on the air yet (lots of "uh-uh-uh" stammering and "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"s as he tries to finish thoughts, but that will improve in time as he gets the hang of it. It also feels like they are hosting tryouts for his co-host. Last week Harvey Unga and Derik Stevenson each co-hosted a couple of days. Unga was much better IMHO, and not just because DS looked for every opportunity to hype Kalani Sitake



Criddle: "let's talk a second about Utah State"

Stevenson: "Yeah, my boy Sitake would work wonders there, but he's at Oregon State building his resume for bigger things"

Criddle: "Uhhhhhhhhhh, yeah....about Utah State..."



The bigger issue was that Stevenson would just check out for the interviews to where you forgot Criddle had anyone else in the studio.



I will be interesting to see how it all holds up once the novelty wears off. They've had great interviews, but once the show has been around a while, it may be harder to get guys like Jackson Emery to come on when the shine is off a bit.



Give it a listen on the afternoon drive.


I thought I would revisit this 6 months later. I no longer listen to anything else on the afternoon drive home. Ben Criddle has settled into his radio gig quite nicely, and it's refreshing to have BYU-centric (but not necessarily rah-rah-everything-is-awesome) discourse. The quality of guests is still top-notch, especially for the summer doldrums of athletics. Yesterday they had Phil Steele on for half-an-hour. Co-hosts rotate through, so you get a good variety of viewpoints even outside of the interviews.



Despite my initial impressions when they hit the airwaves in February, it's a great show. I highly recommend you tune in--4pm-7pm on AM 960.
Y
YNot
snoscythe wrote:
I thought I would revisit this 6 months later. I no longer listen to anything else on the afternoon drive home. Ben Criddle has settled into his radio gig quite nicely, and it's refreshing to have BYU-centric (but not necessarily rah-rah-everything-is-awesome) discourse. The quality of guests is still top-notch, especially for the summer doldrums of athletics. Yesterday they had Phil Steele on for half-an-hour. Co-hosts rotate through, so you get a good variety of viewpoints even outside of the interviews.



Despite my initial impressions when they hit the airwaves in February, it's a great show. I highly recommend you tune in--4pm-7pm on AM 960.


I don't listen to the radio much, but when I do I always enjoy Criddle on 960.



I tried PK for a rare few minutes this morning and it was painful.



He had Dick Harmon on and PK was "discussing" how BYU fans on social media are awful. Harmon agreed that many BYU fans exhibited a poor representation of the fanbase on social media, but brought into the discussion the perspective on how humans are pretty awful on social media - with the protection of anonymity.



Harmon then relayed a story about a UTAH fan that sent Harmon a message degrading his physique and asking if his wife was also a fat---. PK's very next statement and follow-up question was about how horrible B-Y-U fans are on Twitter. He did backtrack a bit back to humans, but then said B-Y-U fans again after backtracking...



...the guy was making an obvious effort to jab BYU fans...



---I guess he knows who is listening and how to drive ratings...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.